Electric Cars in the DR

Jan 9, 2004
I read somewhere that Avis/Hertz are dumping their Teslas for BYD electric cars. Much cheaper to buy and repair.
They are not dumping per se........but they are scaling back.....due in major part to depreciated value when Tesla lowered prices 5 times in 2023. Rental fleets buy their cars with the end game in mind, i.e., the residual value when they do sell them and replace. Since Tesla has been killing potential residual/resale values by lowering its prices........Hertz is rethinking their strategy.

Additionally and probably not well known, many of their Tesla purchases were leased to Uber drivers who tend to be harder on the cars and subsequently cause increased maintenance issues..........and those maintenance costs are usually above typical ice engine costs.

As to BYD, the bulk of the Hertz rental fleet is in the US............and BYD is currently not sold there.............except for an electric bus manufacturing facility in California.

I was told Hertz does have a small number of Tesla's for rent in the DR.............but, at this time, nothing from BYD. For many reasons, I just cannot get my head around the average tourist wanting to rent a Tesla in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR is a good place for electric cars
The distances are livable

I would never buy one in No America
Can you imagine everyone in Santo Domingo or Santiago with an EV?

Where, pray tell, would they plug them in?

After that is answered, where would they plug them in without crashing the power grid.
They will not even be able to do that in California.

Jan 9, 2004
Can you imagine everyone in Santo Domingo or Santiago with an EV?

Where, pray tell, would they plug them in?

After that is answered, where would they plug them in without crashing the power grid.
They will not even be able to do that in California.
Certainly grid problems can and will emerge with the advent and acceptance of EV's..............and they may well be be especially acute in countries or regions with less than a stellar record of supplying power.........................but things are changing rapidly in the EV space.

The city of Detroit just introduced an experimental roadway that can charge your EV while you are driving on it. Panels on rooftops of cars are being tested and refined to provide solar power charging capability. The pace has picked up now that governments around the world are providing innovation funding in the EV space.

It may take another 50 years for the DR to fully embrace and be able to support EV's, but that day is coming.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It may take another 50 years for the DR to fully embrace and be able to support EV's, but that day is coming.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Maybe try adding a few more zeros?
like in 5,000 years. They can't even provide electricity 24 hrs a day in the cities. All this EV talk is hilarious.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Certainly grid problems can and will emerge with the advent and acceptance of EV's..............and they may well be be especially acute in countries or regions with less than a stellar record of supplying power.........................but things are changing rapidly in the EV space.

The city of Detroit just introduced an experimental roadway that can charge your EV while you are driving on it. Panels on rooftops of cars are being tested and refined to provide solar power charging capability. The pace has picked up now that governments around the world are providing innovation funding in the EV space.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That day is more than a generation away. I cannot even get Edenorte to come and cut trees in contact with power lines that caused yet another outage.

Imbeciles.

Jan 9, 2004
That day is more than a generation away. I cannot even get Edenorte to come and cut trees in contact with power lines that caused yet another outage.

Imbeciles.
Well, if you accept that a generation as measured in years is approximately 25..........then we likely concur.....

Yet, there is plentiful and generally continuous power at Casa de Campo and the hotels and residences in the east region, which is where the over two dozen Nissan Leaf's I shipped are currently circulating.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, if you accept that a generation as measured in years is approximately 25..........then we likely concur.....

Yet, there is plentiful and generally continuous power at Casa de Campo and the hotels and residences in the east region, which is where the over two dozen Nissan Leaf's I shipped are currently circulating.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I am so happy for Casa de Campo that I cannot even express my joy.
A big who cares. The exception rather than the rule. And a drop in the bucket of those that drive.

I am talking about people in Santo Domingo and Santiago, La Vega, Jarabacoa, Cabarete La Cienaga, etc.
Not elite sections of the DR.

Jan 9, 2004
A big who cares. The exception rather than the rule. And a drop in the bucket of those that drive.

I am talking about people in Santo Domingo and Santiago, La Vega, Jarabacoa, Cabarete La Cienaga, etc.

Then look no further than who owns/operates those power generation and distribution companies and you have your answer…..or at least the reason generation and (primarily) distribution is so pathetic elsewhere.

And nothing will likely really change for the better until at least the distributors are privatized. But then again, no private company will invest with such a high rate of electricity theft…….and the government, if it wishes to remain in power, will never let private companies cut off the non payers…….for fear of violence.

And so it goes.

RespectfUgly,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Essential people only should be on the roads during a hurricane.
That is more likely than ever if they drive electric cars and the charging stations are damaged.

There are huge problems in the USA maintaining charging stations that aren't inundated with hurricanes. What will that be like in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then look no further than who owns/operates those power generation and distribution companies and you have your answer…..or at least the reason generation and (primarily) distribution is so pathetic elsewhere.

My answer is a few of the elite will drive electric cars. And have their elite power company as well.
They will only have issues if they drive outside their round trip range.
And nothing will likely really change for the better until at least the distributors are privatized. But then again, no private company will invest with such a high rate of electricity theft…….and the government, if it wishes to remain in power, will never let private companies cut off the non payers…….for fear of violence.

And so it goes.

RespectfUgly,
Playacaribe2
Sad but true. It is the way.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I was thinking about buying a cheapie just to see what they're like, but PC convinced me not to with his posts.

Nevertheless, lack of electricity would not have been a factor. Where I live, and in many sections of SD there are large areas with 24/7 electricity. Mainly because everyone on those circuits pays for their electricity.

I'm guessing those are the same folks who will be looking at EVs.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My answer is a few of the elite will drive electric cars. And have their elite power company as well.
They will only have issues if they drive outside their round trip range.

Sad but true. It is the way.
That's not this opinion…

Sin embargo, Robert Abréu, propietario de una agencia de vehículos de la capital, afirma que vende más autos eléctricos que convencionales. “Se está volteando la torta”, describe, para también señalar que ahora es la clase media la que se está interesando más en esta tecnología, no solo por ser vehículos de cero emisiones contaminantes, sino también por el posible ahorro en el mantenimiento y en el combustible.

"However, Roberto Abreú, owner of a car dealership in the Dominican capital, says he is selling more electric vehicles than normal ones. "Things are changing," he says and pinpoint that now the middle class is the more interested in this technology not only due being zero emision vehicles, but also because of the potential savings in maintenance and gas."

That article is from August 8, 2023.

That is just referring to electric cars, because there are electric motorcycles being sold too. Even microbusinesses are buying electric motorcycles such as this colmado that all deliveries are done in those types. This video is from 2 years ago.

Reactions: JD Jones

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I would think that electric motos make more sense because Juanito can bring his moto inside his "house" and charge it,well whenever the luz isn't off....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What will that be like in the DR?
It will be far worse.
Dominicans tend to destroy everything. The charging stations will be destroyed and if they ever get repaired they will be destroyed again shortly thereafter. Rinse and repeat.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would think that electric motos make more sense because Juanito can bring his moto inside his "house" and charge it,well whenever the luz isn't off....
Sounds good.
This was a scooter. Imagine a moto.

Jan 9, 2004
They absolutely do make more sense...........and in another thread....."best business in the DR"........I indicated that is where I would be looking if I were so inclined.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
It will be far worse.
Dominicans tend to destroy everything. The charging stations will be destroyed and if they ever get repaired they will be destroyed again shortly thereafter. Rinse and repeat.
I don't disagree but the fact is that the charging stations in Sosua have been in place for several years now and to my knowledge they have yet to be damaged in any way.