Electric Cars in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would think that electric motos make more sense because Juanito can bring his moto inside his "house" and charge it,well whenever the luz isn't off....
The biggest benefit to everybody, owner or not of an electric motorcycle, will be the thank you they will get from their ears. I bet ears all over the country want for all motorcycles to be electric!

Just saying...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
  • Electric vehicles took a detour: Heading into 2023, automakers were gearing up to invest $1.2 trillion by 2030 to move EVs from niche products to mass-market models. As the year closes, legacy automakers as well as Tesla, Rivian and others are throttling back investments and reworking product strategies. For more on the industry, sign up for the Auto File newsletter.
See EV's take a detour from a reality check on charging and high prices:

Jan 9, 2004
  • Electric vehicles took a detour: Heading into 2023, automakers were gearing up to invest $1.2 trillion by 2030 to move EVs from niche products to mass-market models. As the year closes, legacy automakers as well as Tesla, Rivian and others are throttling back investments and reworking product strategies. For more on the industry, sign up for the Auto File newsletter.
See EV's take a detour from a reality check on charging and high prices:

From the article:

"Consumer demand for EVs is growing worldwide."

By 2030 EV's will equal 33% of all auto production.

But for the moment, demand is not quite where the auto makers would like it to be..........even after Tesla has cut its prices 5 times in 2023. That of course has helped soften prices overall and allows my EV clients to purchase used EV's at much better prices.

That coupled with the US tax incentive rebates being offered certain EV models AND the generous 50% tax reduction in the DR.............and adding in the further reduced taxes if they are brought in with the benefit of the tourist project incentive law...................it is still a windfall for those clients.

Mainstream acceptance in the DR will take at least a decade as they build out infrastructure.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Lucifer

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Those who want an EV will buy it.
At the moment it is a niche for people with sufficient funds.

Simple reality is that in EU many people have street parking without the ability to install charging stations.
In US and CAN there are few public charging stations.
Condo owners in big cities will have to pay for their own installation, regulated by strata councils-HOA.

We are a long way from EV use. Till 2050 at least, fossile fuels will be used to a large extent.
Renewable energy sources to supply industry manufacturing needs and residential needs are still far form sufficient.

Even developed countries are far away from majority EV use.
Developing countries such as the DR will use combustion engines and gasoline/diesel for a long time.
In addition, the average Dominican road is in very poor condition, vehicles need a high ground clearance and strong suspension.
The DR is a developing poor country why pretend and talk it up?

There are few good roads and Hwy's in the DR, normal infrastructure does nor warrant luxury cars.
The only ones who requiere them for their ego are posers.

Many governments talk nonsense about being "green" carbon neutrality.
The first and most important step to achieve this, would be modern public transport.
Subways, Trams, urban rail, long distance fast rail all running on electricity.
The last resort busses.

To be carbon neutral, a clean power grid infrastructure has to be developed to supply sufficient relable energy.
Wind, solar energy capture has to be expanded.
The last we should have is coal power plants.

Great to talk up EV's and make money of them, but first proper infrastructure and energy sources are needed.
Otherwise it's just babble.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Moving to PC in August '24, and wishing the complex had charging stations, but no.
Currently living in Miami, where the apartment building has stations on two floors, and at NO CHARGE to the residents: charge for no charge. Ain't it cool?

Jan 9, 2004
Those who want an EV will buy it.
At the moment it is a niche for people with sufficient funds.

Simple reality is that in EU many people have street parking without the ability to install charging stations.
In US and CAN there are few public charging stations.
Condo owners in big cities will have to pay for their own installation, regulated by strata councils-HOA.

We are a long way from EV use. Till 2050 at least, fossile fuels will be used to a large extent.
Renewable energy sources to supply industry manufacturing needs and residential needs are still far form sufficient.

Even developed countries are far away from majority EV use.
Developing countries such as the DR will use combustion engines and gasoline/diesel for a long time.
In addition, the average Dominican road is in very poor condition, vehicles need a high ground clearance and strong suspension.
The DR is a developing poor country why pretend and talk it up?

There are few good roads and Hwy's in the DR, normal infrastructure does nor warrant luxury cars.
The only ones who requiere them for their ego are posers.

Many governments talk nonsense about being "green" carbon neutrality.
The first and most important step to achieve this, would be modern public transport.
Subways, Trams, urban rail, long distance fast rail all running on electricity.
The last resort busses.

To be carbon neutral, a clean power grid infrastructure has to be developed to supply sufficient relable energy.
Wind, solar energy capture has to be expanded.
The last we should have is coal power plants.

Great to talk up EV's and make money of them, but first proper infrastructure and energy sources are needed.
Otherwise it's just babble.
I will start by saying I love my ice engine car................but my next acquisition will probably be a hybrid.

That having been said...........and having a fairly good handle on the changes in the automotive markets, EV use is occurring at a pace I thought not possible just two years ago.

Personally, I believe the near term future belongs to hybrids.......................but I am not so blind to see that you now have countries with very high EV adoption rates.

Norway's EV's passenger car sales account for 80% of all vehicles sold in 2022, in Iceland its 41%, Sweden 32%..............and the most impressive statistic occurs in the largest car market in the world..........................China which accounted for 22% of all passenger car sales.

Even the DR has thousands of EV's circulating...............with more coming every day.

And I fully recognize the challenges EV's in the DR pose...............but just as ice engine vehicles were adopted in spite of the horse and buggy crowd who said it would never happen......i.e., no roads, no filling stations, no mechanics, etc..............the world then adapted..............just as it will today both globally and in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So many new unreliable EVs are becoming available:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

DETROIT (AP) — Electric vehicles have proved far less reliable, on average, than gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs, according to the latest survey by Consumer Reports, which found that EVs from the 2021 through 2023 model years encountered nearly 80% more problems than did vehicles propelled by internal combustion engines.

Consumer Reports said EV owners most frequently reported troubles with battery and charging systems as well as flaws in how the vehicles’ body panels and interior parts fit together. The magazine and website noted that EV manufacturers are still learning to construct completely new power systems

Reactions: fuchs4d and SKY

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I will start by saying I love my ice engine car................but my next acquisition will probably be a hybrid.

That having been said...........and having a fairly good handle on the changes in the automotive markets, EV use is occurring at a pace I thought not possible just two years ago.

Personally, I believe the near term future belongs to hybrids.......................but I am not so blind to see that you now have countries with very high EV adoption rates.

Norway's EV's passenger car sales account for 80% of all vehicles sold in 2022, in Iceland its 41%, Sweden 32%..............and the most impressive statistic occurs in the largest car market in the world..........................China which accounted for 22% of all passenger car sales.

Even the DR has thousands of EV's circulating...............with more coming every day.

And I fully recognize the challenges EV's in the DR pose...............but just as ice engine vehicles were adopted in spite of the horse and buggy crowd who said it would never happen......i.e., no roads, no filling stations, no mechanics, etc..............the world then adapted..............just as it will today both globally and in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I agree with you.

We will use bridge technologies at least till 20250.
Poor countries will obviously be much slower.
Just as now, the poor do no maintenance and keep their cars running till something fails.

Hybrid is the best for now considering cost, range and convenience, especially in countries like US and CAN due to large distances travelled and cold winters.

Hong Kong/New YorkCNN —
BYD overtook Tesla to become the world’s biggest electric car company in the final quarter of 2023.

The Chinese company sold a record number of cars last year, including 525,409 battery electric vehicles (BEVs) in the three-month period to December 31, according to a stock exchange filing. Tesla said Tuesday it delivered 484,507 — also a record — during the quarter.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
The biggest benefit to everybody, owner or not of an electric motorcycle, will be the thank you they will get from their ears. I bet ears all over the country want for all motorcycles to be electric!

Just saying...
Your word in the governments ear.

As it is, many cars have altered exhaust systems to amplify noise.
Giving the morons a feeling of power and importance.
In the US and Canada I see no noise enforcement.

Some EU countries have strict police controls in regard to allowable decibels.
Modified cars are confiscated, fines issued and returned to factory standards,
By special police squads.

I am afraid the same kind of people will use noise amplifiers in EV motorcycles, of course stating safety issues of being heard.
The type of people who ride Harleys.

I'd rather be powerful and quiet.

Of course, consideration for others and thinking how your conduct may impact others entails education and manners.
Just came back from a drive in Montellano, morons doing what they want in traffic, motorcycles, cars vans, trucks parking in the middle of the street.
Doing what they deem most convenient for themselves.
Guys with 125ccm motores sounding like tanks, the drivers with vacuous expressions.
One can see the absence of intelligence in their faces.

The Dominican mentality will still be here in a 100 years and more.
EV's percentage in the DR then ????

Don't generalize?
I do.
I give 10% elevated status which makes them the exception.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hybrid is the best for now considering cost, range and convenience, especially in countries like US and CAN due to large distances travelled and cold winters.

I’m glad someone mentioned hybrids. How popular are they in DR in comparison to EVs?

We just bought a 2024 hybrid last month and I am loving it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As it is, many cars have altered exhaust systems to amplify noise.
Giving the morons a feeling of power and importance.
In the US and Canada I see no noise enforcement.
lol If you want to see it, call 911 with a noise complain and see what happens. One of the characteristics of US cities is how quiet they are compared to cities in many other countries like the DR. The crackdown on noise is the reason for that since US cities were not always as quiet as they are now.

I am afraid the same kind of people will use noise amplifiers in EV motorcycles, of course stating safety issues of being heard.
The type of people who ride Harleys.
Have you seen that?

The Dominican mentality will still be here in a 100 years and more.
EV's percentage in the DR then ????
The same could be said particularly of neighborhoods in the USA with a high concentration of Dominicans. The question is why are these neighborhoods not as noisy as many places in the DR? That's like asking why many Dominican drivers do so in the US in ways that are different when they drive in the DR. They are the same person and an airplane ride doesn't change that.

Even in the DR there are mysteries such as how is it possible Dominicans act more orderly, don't throw garbage anywhere, etc once they enter the Santo Domingo Metro? These are the same people that throw garbage where they want outside the Santo Domingo Metro. If there wasn't something that changes the attitudes of Dominicans in certain places, things like acting more orderly in the SD Metro or driving differently in the US vs the DR or even the fact neighborhoods with a heavy Dominican concentration in the US are quieter than many neighborhoods in the DR. They are the same persons with the same mentality, no?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now, Dominicans aren't the only ones that do this. It's well known that many expats do things in the DR that they don't do in the US. Take for example bribing Dominican law enforcers whether they are of the PN or border security guards. Blatantly overstaying the tourist card time limit and simply psying the overstay fee when leaving the country? Another of many other things are those expats thag take part in prostitution in the DR, usually as clients. Do they do the same in the US? Why some expats act as normal people in the US, but the mometnt they land in the DR is almost as if they are a different person?

Even in the DR, EV's are quieter than non-EV vehicles and their participation in the Dominican market is growing. Things like now is easier to find places to charge vs not too long ago when this wasn't the case is probably one of the reasons Dominicans are becoming more inclined to get EV vehicles.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Look at the link below on SuperCarros for Tesla. Notice no models for sale after 2022. And check the prices. No one wants these cars here except a few "show offs" with plenty of cash to burn.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Look at the link below on SuperCarros for Tesla. Notice no models for sale after 2022. And check the prices. No one wants these cars here except a few "show offs" with plenty of cash to burn.

The Chinese will find a way to make cheaper, less reliable, EVs for the masses .
BYD is closing in on Tesla in the numbers sold game.

Reactions: JD Jones

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The Chinese will find a way to make cheaper, less reliable, EVs for the masses .
Not surprising Windy. As the major vehicle manufacturers crank out more EV’s, the Tesla monoply will continue to diminish. Free market survival of the fittest, most reliable, and least expensive.

I need a new vehicle. I’m still not comfortable with a totally electric one. My current vehicle of choice is a hybrid, ice/electric with charging capability. A Mazda CX-90 PHEV. A good type of alternative for DR drivers until an adequate charging grid is in place. More expensive than a hybrid gas/electric or electric vehicle but I still get a slightly reduced federal government tax break and I don’t pay federal/provincial sales taxes on vehicles. That more than offsets the higher purchase price. DR drivers would still be eligible for a tax break. I’m not sure if it would be the same as the current 50% tax break on EV‘s.

The other alternative would be a hydrogen powered vehicle. The future of these in the DR hasn’t been part of the discussion in this thread. The major car manufacturers have been producing hydrogen fueled vehicles for years. DR drivers are comfortable with propane fueled vehicles so a transition to hydrogen fueled vehicles should be easier. Just a matter of installing hydrogen dispensers alongside the gas and propane pumps. It takes 90 seconds to fill a hydrogen fueled vehicle.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hydrogen will be a good option if Hydrogen is cheap enough and green enough to produce in mass quantities.

Reactions: thompstr
Jan 9, 2004

Try this link.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Coming soon to a dealer near you.