Ex-pats (3 or more years in the DR), any change of heart?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Also, sure there is a lot of corruption here but I would say it's mostly "institutional" - which in other words doesn't necessarily have to affect one so much. As far as "personal corruption" goes I can no longer say that Dominicans are any worse than Americans or Europeans - in fact I believe overall this type of corruption here is less detrimentally influential than in the aforementioned places.

Reactions: MikeFisher

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Details Dona Polaca as to why the DR is not for you. Please, qualitative descriptive essays not evaluative one liner emotional responses.
The WHY for your NAY decision.

ok, so to sum up the reasons most of the posters use to explain why they landed in DR:
weather is really gross apart from the time it rains. i used to have mild migraines in poland, virtually no migraines in london. here they got so severe i had to go to hospital several times for painkiller injections, all weather related.
i would not see the difference between beers and rons of this world if the fate of the planet depended on it. i just don't. in addition i do not even drink anymore as even the smallest amount of alcohol triggered migraines. so dominican alcohols do not do anything for me.
i find dominicans very unremarkable, as opposed to many posters here. nah. people are all the same everywhere in the world, only places are different. i have met truly nice folks and nasty rude a**holes in all the countries i have been to and DR ain't an exception.
cheap pu**y is somehow of no interest to me ;)

in addition:
in short, to paraphrase rimbaud: "POP is the most boring place on earth right after the one where my parents live".
there are no libraries that actually have books worth reading and let people take them out :)
in four years i have made zero friends and it is getting sad, as seneca would justify lack of friends as a reason enough to commit a suicide. i am not an easy person with my sarcasm and all that ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I always told mi esposa to just put me outside with the rest of the garbage, in case of my death (now, as I am a weed, and everybody knows it is impossible to kill weeds... lol)

In Europe she would have to sort me through the garbage, and even then it would cost her a fortune to have me disposed of, by buying all those green bags from the government for ecological waste...

Here she can dump me on the trash-heap early friday morning, and wouldn't even have to bother with a plastic bag... and I would leave this world in the way I have lived my life... being good to animals... I'm sure the vira lata would have a feast on me...:bunny:

wooohahahaha
hey Buddy,
one of the best posts since a while
thanks
and sooo true
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ok, so to sum up the reasons most of the posters use to explain why they landed in DR:
weather is really gross apart from the time it rains. i used to have mild migraines in poland, virtually no migraines in london. here they got so severe i had to go to hospital several times for painkiller injections, all weather related.
i would not see the difference between beers and rons of this world if the fate of the planet depended on it. i just don't. in addition i do not even drink anymore as even the smallest amount of alcohol triggered migraines. so dominican alcohols do not do anything for me.
i find dominicans very unremarkable, as opposed to many posters here. nah. people are all the same everywhere in the world, only places are different. i have met truly nice folks and nasty rude a**holes in all the countries i have been to and DR ain't an exception.

in addition:
in short, to paraphrase rimbaud: "POP is the most boring place on earth right after the one where my parents live".
there are no libraries that actually have books worth reading and let people take them out :)
in four years i have made zero friends and it is getting sad, as seneca would justify lack of friends as a reason enough to commit a suicide. i am not an easy person with my sarcasm and all that ;)

so the Question should be:
why you did not meet an "mi esposo" of an other country at least a lil bit more favorable to your own needs/preferences?
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to stick on topic:
I have a good 15 years down on the Isle and counting, hopefully for much more.
yes,
I love to travel and when ever possible I do so,
but the new homebase is def down here on the Isle.
European family loves to visit and enjoys the not-need to stay at an AI on Vaca.
the People,
wow,
yes, I find them very friendly and open to a stranger,
but on my excessive travels I found friendly helpful people and their 'opposites' in other countries, too.
the climate,
when back in europe I have no prob to enjoy fun in the snow/winter, skiing or trying a snowbord with my Godson, even that for the all around the year climate I prefer the mild one here on the Isle.
Family,
I love my ole folks at home and my sis's and brother,
and I will not change my since a good decade new family here.
you will find family where ever you search hard enough, tambien aqui.
will I leave one day?
I don't think so,
I have my properties and additional family here,
my own businesses run here,
life is too short to start all over again and again.
I don't regreat my deceision of location, would take the same choice again.
the kinks here are in my own case and opinion minor to some kinks back home in Europe.
I love both sides of the big Ocean,
but I still prefer this side of the water as the mainbase and the other for travels compared to viceversa.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I think it is sad not to have made any friends but it might not be the sarcasm. In this culture people sense someone naturally reaching out to them; they might find independence hard to understand for what it is & misinterpret it for coldness or aloofness. In this culture the warmth one feels inside for others, needs to be displayed more overtly than in some other cultures. Whereas in London, of course, display too much warmth and many people are highly suspicious.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

in addition:

What you need to do is move to Santiago, I think you are a city girl and being stuck in a "pueblo" does not help your well being. Also Santiago is cooler and maybe can help you with the migraines.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

in addition:
PoP is a hard place to be nice and friendly, IMO.

Maybe some other area of the DR would better suit y'all.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I never said London was horrible, just prefer Santo Domingo.

I have lived and worked in London, Sydney, Tokyo, Rio, New York, Miami and a short period in Amsterdam. They all have their good and bad points, none of them horrible, I just prefer Santo Domingo out of that list.

That could change in the future, especially with more exploration of Colombia.

Wow! Were you stalking me?!?

I have worked and temporarily lived in all those you listed but Sydney (I was a melburnian for a tad). I must say that my most regarded memory in those places had to be of Tokyo! Talk about getting culture "shock"... You have to live/work there to grasp it...

Each time I must step out of the DR and get back, it feels like I just re-discovered the country once again! It takes my a few days to unwind and get used to the DR "time" zone, where it seems time runs much slower than elsewhere.

I know I'm not an expat, so my personal opinion on the OP's question is irrelevant as a Dominican; one thing I do share is that being a travel peon, it does feel good getting home each time... Nothing beats that feeling of relaxation and peace... Gimme a Presidente! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Maybe this is one reason for the thumbs up??

Prize proves Dominicans are the most tourist-friendly

MADRID.- Dominican Republic won the prize “Country which Best Receives Tourists” during the 18th Travelranking Awards, one of the Spanish tourism sector’s most prestigious recognitions.

The winners were chosen using surveys conducted by travel agents in various independent communities of Spain in 2009.

For the whole article visit the source

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/touris...oves-Dominicans-are-the-most-tourist-friendly

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i am not an easy person with my sarcasm and all that ;)

I assume you must have picked this up in England. As I've been there and had British friends throughout the years I'm aware how integral sacarms is to British wit. In fact I am playfully sarcastic and make a jokes all the time (about myself) - but I've learned here in the DR that this is rarely received well - especially among strangers or acquaintences. It is usually taken the wrong way and is considered offensive.

The positive thing about this trait here is an apple is an apple, ie sarcasm isn't needed to add double meaning/insinuation to conversations.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

in addition:
To sum this up in even simpler words: DV8 does not belong in puerto plata. Too bad her esposo has to live there for work reasons but she certainly belongs in santo domingo. There, she would find dominicans who are equal to her standards, who are the same as her. Her headaches would be a thing of the past because there is a popular chiropractor there who can relieve headaches with simple adjustments. I think he would be willing to give Dv8 a few spinal adjustments for free.
I felt the same way when I was living in puerto plata. I thought the whole country was this way and every single woman was a beggar for money and all dominicans were tigres and uneducated.
Then I came to santo domingo.
My last patient in my office was from the ministry of Treasury, an elegant woman with her own sense of humor. As she walked in, upon seeing me, she says "are you from pakistan?" wow, what a pleasant surprise. Finally a person I can have a conversation with. A person who doesn't think automatically that i am from "pa alla, arabia...." I had a wonderful conversation with her and she left feeling a lot better. Fortunately there are many other people just like her.
So Dv8, get out of POP and come to SD. This is where you belong.
AZB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

in addition:

My mother used to have severe migranes also, when she lived at sea level. She nows lives at 1800 feet above sea level - no migrains. Everytime she visits my brother on the coast her migrains come back. Perhaps your headaches are also affecting your ability to socialize with people.