First Trip - Spoiled by Street Sellers

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Well said MrMike.

These people are just trying to get your attention and drum up some business.
They are simply trying to make an honest living in a difficult environment.
They are harmless enough and many are quite personable and friendly even if you don't buy anything from them.

People who have such a huge problem with this simple reality make me wonder how the hell they deal with significant issues that life throws them.

Seems to me some people foolishly stress themselves out over nothing.

Many of these vendors are struggling to survive yet they are more laid back with a don't worry and be happy attitude even though they have much more to really worry about than these hyper-sensitive tourists.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
sokay said:
Mr. Mike wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the idea I vainly hoped would gain me local immortality, if not a statue in a public square someplace, is that, after four pages of thread here, and years of street vendors chasing away tourists there, that there might be some discussion about genuine improvement to a situation that, after all, may not even be a problem. Probably we all know lots of people who actually like being badgered for money by desperately poor people. Especially on vacation. There's you, for example, and uh, well heck and lots of other people too. Nice people.

Some people here are starting to show their true colors, their callous disregard for the plight of the average Dominican... The fact is that the average Dominican does not have the opportunity of regular employment, over 50 percent of employment in the DR is within what economists call 'the informal economy' that includes street vending. So if you want to avoid honest people trying to make a living by the only means available to them, than I suggest you vacation in an all-inclusive resort, and don't leave the premises.

May 31, 2005
jackquontee said:
With all due respect, did it ever occur to you and others that people arrived to the island, and this board, as happy go lucky people, and left miserable and disillusioned?
It did... The reason why I made that comment is because someone else commented in one of their posts that the OP is most likely an "infeliz". That means an unhappy person.

Sep 19, 2005
I really like this thread..it hasnt gone far south at all in name calling and such, and it shows a large diversity, which shows it is right on track. many opposing views are CORRECT, its the glass half full or half empty argument. Also it is tough choosing the first step strategy for "fixing" something. If in fact it is fixable. For all those reading and contemplating going to the DR, dont think long winded topics consitutues are large problem!!!!!!!!! quite the contrary...my first 2 trips to Sosua beach yeilded ZERO hits from walking vendors on the beach... and I am a large white target....subsequent trips yeilded simple walk bys and simple No gracias....I would also add for the posters who belittle complainers, it is in fact the truth that people go many many places and have PERFECT vacations with zero hassles, where NOTHING is viewed as a deterant...yes they exists, and dont wallow in grief because of it, or say it aint so...no matter how many places you can come up with that are worse than the DR.. they are irrevelant to someone who has and wishes to enjoy pleasant hassle free vacations. Its a two edged sword.. if the DR got rid of its vacation "problems" and it offered perfect vacations in classy clean cities with suburb class across the board...it would cost 10 times as much to vacation there...supply and demand being what it is....I offer a place like the french Riviera......I will always enoy the DR for other reasons....bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Header of your post... I see we've gotten nowhere, so
jackquontee said:
I'll let it go.

Forgive me, but neither have the street vendors gotten anywhere but they're still out there selling their wares. ;)

More seriously, street vendors are the least of our problems here. If only all our problems were so easy to deal with...

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
You're absolutely right

Chris said:
Header of your post... I see we've gotten nowhere, so

Forgive me, but neither have the street vendors gotten anywhere but they're still out there selling their wares. ;)

More seriously, street vendors are the least of our problems here. If only all our problems were so easy to deal with...

However, I'm not looking at it from the perspective of someone who lives there and has to deal with fuel rationing, or loss of electricity for hours on end, etc., etc. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the OP as a tourist who goes there with the expectation of enjoying themselves and relaxing, and has to spend the whole of their time fending off overly aggressive vendors who will, and do, follow you from the time you arrive until the time you leave.

It is apparent that some of you really love the DR, as well you should. But, maybe it is because of this that you have chosen to simplify this issue, and take it out of context as well. For anyone to imply that the OP's statements are wrong, fraudulent, or anything else but true, is BS in my mind. I, and I'm sure others who have visited your wonderful island, have experienced the same thing. Now, I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone else define my experiences for me. I know what I've experienced, and I simply will not argue with anyone about those experiences.

In any event, I'll be there in November if anyone should care to take up the issue then. I'm done for now.

sokay

Sep 18, 2005
This note not referring to any specific post. I live and work in a tourist-dependent area (Daytona Beach). Tourism feeds me and keeps my motocycle going. What I do not get is that several people on this thread seem not to distinguish between, on the one hand, DR residents and wannabe residents (e.g. me) who may be blown off with insults and no regrets. No problem there. Like we Daytona locals say to newbe's, "We don't care how you do it up North." And on the other hand tourists. Who are people and may be liked or disliked but, as tourists, they are customers. If they cannot be encourged to come back, their "word of mouth" still counts for a great deal. Honestly, I do not know anyone here in Daytona who does not instinctively care that tourists, or former tourists, do not go away pissed the fug off. We do not blow them off or call them names. Well now, it's a big town and some people probably do. But not people with any education or common sense. It's business. It's about caring what happens to our home. Best Regards to all.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just one more time.. if I go to Disney, I get Disney.. So, if all the plastic entertainment handed to me on a plate is not what I like, I do not go there. I do not ask them to change Disney 'cause I find it not to my liking. And I don't complain because I know what I'm in for when I go there.

In the DR, street vendors are a fact of life. Whether they are liked or hated.. they will try and make a living the only way they know how. They are not singling anyone out to sell their wares to, they are not targeting you specifically... They are simply trying to make a living... and there is nothing that anyone here can do about that, excepting regulate the practise of street vending. And that is not going to happen any time soon.

So, if a tourist complains on the board that they did not like the street vendors, we have no other answer to give, than advice as to how to deal with them - 'cause they are not going to go away. Believe me people, there is nothing you can do about this, excepting to learn how to deal, without stress, without losing all enjoyment during your vacation. It is a small thing. And if the complaints keep coming, and nothing that the regulars say seem to make a difference, and the tourist keeps bleating and hoping someone will clear the streets for them, there is no other path than for the tourist to choose another place.

There has been frequent advice on this board that if someone cannot deal with the street vendors, to get a guide or to get a driver or something to clear the way for them. If the tourist does not want to do that.. well, tough titty.. Should they ask for advice on the board as to how to deal, they will receive plenty. The best way is to get a guide until you can handle the streets.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"do not go away p----d..."

sokay said:
This note not referring to any specific post. I live and work in a tourist-dependent area (Daytona Beach). Tourism feeds me and keeps my motocycle going. What I do not get is that several people on this thread seem not to distinguish between, on the one hand, DR residents and wannabe residents (e.g. me) who may be blown off with insults and no regrets. No problem there. Like we Daytona locals say to newbe's, "We don't care how you do it up North." And on the other hand tourists. Who are people and may be liked or disliked but, as tourists, they are customers. If they cannot be encourged to come back, their "word of mouth" still counts for a great deal. Honestly, I do not know anyone here in Daytona who does not instinctively care that tourists, or former tourists, do not go away pissed the fug off. We do not blow them off or call them names. Well now, it's a big town and some people probably do. But not people with any education or common sense. It's business. It's about caring what happens to our home. Best Regards to all.

"do not go away pissed..." In addition to 10 years in Samana and also a lifelong resident of Daytona Beach, one of the world's top tourist destinations, I know that even the average resident does EVERYTHING they can to keep this from happening as tourism affects EVERYBODY in the Daytona Beach metropolitan area in one way or another just like it affects EVERY resident of the DR in one way or another. It affects us all and if you don't think it does, look what happens to the island's economy when the tourists don't come.

This is what I've been trying to emphasize as a hotel owner in Samana and as a promoter of tourism on the internet. And attitudes of "if you don't like our street people (or anything else about the DR for that matter), then f---k off" just doesn't get it. If you don't value our visitors and the dollars they bring to this island, at least don't piss them off further. None of us can afford it.

Andy B

PS- Sokay, I'm currently in Daytona Beach at my home there. Email me your phone # at elmarinique@verizon.net.do

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
Street vendors ansd TS sales people are everywere, in Mexico you couldn't go on the beach without being hounded. In Las Terranas there is a guy in town that sells stuff i get in NYC cheaper so after saying no more than once i was getting bored of it and just said i don't want anything but if you'd like a coffee and have time to bullshit sit down and i'll get you one. My son was eating icecream at the time we tend to walk into town everynight. So he sat down we talked about his home town a place i have grown to love and NYC a place he prolly would love to go to. I was intrested in what he had to say so it was fun to find out little thing's you just don't learn walking around as a tourist. We sat a couple off nights it cost me a couple off $ but my son was happy and i wasn't shooing him off anymore.
Was good coffee to......

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
MrMike said:
Justsome quick math about the stoplight people in case anyone starts feeling sorry for them...

IF the stoplight changes once per minute and
IF the washer dude gets a 5 peso coin every light and
IF the washer dude puts in a standard DR 45 hour work week then:

5 pesos times
60 minutes per hour times
8 hours per day times
5 1/2 days a week times
52 weeks a year devided by
12 months a year

is about 30,000 pesos a month, a DR college graduate would be lucky to make that.

PLUS no income tax, no sales tax, no boss, no schedule.

Yeah--that's a big IF.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The stop light won't change at all without electricity which is more likely.

I think the reality is these people are dirt poor and see the huge disparity between what little they must keep from selling those ugly carvings and other crap and tourists , and I suspect they make a barely liveable wage.

No it doesn't justify molesting tourists but I find they leave you alone if you just tell them to go away. But some small degree of pity and maybe spend 30 or 50 pesos on something to give someone a meal wouldn't kill you or ruin your vacation.

The OP was over the top with being as distressed as he was though. Not a good recruit for a return visit, of course the first trip to Cuba or Mexico will mean exactly the same thing. He be sayin' time to hide in my sterile AI resort with my knees-a-knockin'.

May 31, 2005
sokay said:
You can't please everyone.... I will not go crazy trying to please someone either. I'll give it my best shot though. It that's not enough, then too bad...

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
The situation is "IDL" :Intolerance, Disrespect and Lazyness on DR1 forums

I can't hardly believe how people are so intolerent and disrespectful on this board. It is really getting too far, as it often happens on DR1 forums, which I think is sad. The guy who did the first post has been doing it in "trip reports"... ahhhh hello??? what does that tell you? He's a simple tourist that has just been on vacation to DR and tought this would be a good idea to share his experience on the web! Usually that helps other people to get a better idea of a country or resort before going and that's what it is for. Or maybe I am just retarded and the purpose of a message board is to shout at each other? If you haven't noticed yet, nobody has a problem if a newbie says in his trip report that the food at Fun Royale Resort is awful, but they will if someone posts that he waited too long for breakfast at Rocky's. Oh my God!! Then "don't come back again if you're unhappy about your too crispy bacon and blablabla... " And you, you are crying about your electricity bill that is always increasing, without talking about gas that will be rationed.... Does people tell you to shut up and never come back to DR if you are not satisfied??? :lick:
In my opinion, being insultant doesn't have its place here.

Posting only good reviews wouldn't be a realistic image of DR and even if I love the country, it is far from being ideal. You are really reactionary if you are turning a blind eye on an existing problem instead of trying to find a permanent solution to improve the situation. "stay at home if you're unhappy". That's a pitiful answer to a problem, a lazy way to think. Always keep in mind that Dominican Republic's second economic resource is tourism, not you!!! If you really love the country and have it close to your heart, then many of you should change your way to think and start being more broad-minded. :disappoin

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lookie here!!

Where does it say that just because tourism is needed in the DR, that they HAVE to beg a tourist to come/go back. If the tourist is not happy with what he saw or his/her mentality does not allows him to make a positive out of a negative, then, please stay home.

Why beg someone that not only will not visit again but will surely tell all his friends about HIS bad experience in the DR and who will advice his friends not to go there?. Who needs a tourist like that anyways?.

I have seen tourists in the DR treat restaurant and hotel staffs as if they were slaves. SOME think that since they are spending a few dollars, that automatically makes them the "owners" of the whole country and it's people. Who needs tourists like that?.

I posted here, many moons ago, about a tourist that was sitting next to me in a restaurant and just because the waiter was not fast enough to bring him his water, he started to yell and scream at him as if he was his father. Not only he did that but he also started to say a few bad things about the DR and it's people( you know, the regular crap that Dominicans are lazy and that he hated "this fricking country"). I just flipped. I got up from my chair in less than half a second and went straight to him and I started yelling at him and I was about to kick his *** if it was not for my friends who held me back. Now, tell me guys, who in hell needs a tourist like that?.

If people can not adapt to their surroundings even if they are on vacation, they should do 2 things: 1- when in the DR, stay inside the resort and don't leave and 2- go somewhere where you will be happy.

I do get sick of people complaining about something that it's not a big deal. If you let a few street vendors ruin your vacation and then make you decide that you would not visit again, good for you and don't let the door hit you on your axx.

Some of you guys seem to forget that the DR is truly a paradise when it come to treating tourists. I have seen with my own eyes how great most tourists are treated. Let's not forget how cheap it can be in the DR. Let not forget how far your money can go. Where in hell can you book an All Inclusive (food, drinks, and hotel room) Resort for 40-45 dollars a night?. In the DR, that's where!. So you know what, if it can be so cheap and I am saving so much money, a little street vendor would be the least of my problems.

I have noticed that the humbler the person is, the more fun that person would have on his/her vacations. If one thinks that "my **** does not stinks", that person will always think that he/she is above everybody and EVERTHING that he/she sees that does not look right, they would make a big deal out of it.

Yes, the DR needs tourists but I am sure that we they can leave without a few "head cases".

The DR is a different "monster". It's not for the weak hearted!!.

The street sellers, the beach sellers, the sankies/sankiettes, the motoconchos, the poor people, the blackouts, the corrupted officials, the crazy drivers and the Presidente beer are "here" to stay and since they have been "alive and well" for generations, they WILL still be there for more generations to come, whether a tourist likes it or not!!.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Andy B said:
as a hotel owner in the DR to read a post from a visitor that had what they percieved to be an unpleasant experience that upset them so much that they state will not come back.

It pains me even more that certain idiots on this board respond the way they do and further worsen the situation. C'mon people, this is tourism, our lifeblood and without our visitors, this 3rd rate banana republic would roll over and play dead. Are you trying to drive people away from the DR? The way tourism in the DR has been going and with the upcoming crisis in world travel due to continuing high oil prices, we need all the help we can get, not continued negativism displayed by certain posters on this forum. But then, most of you negative types don't live on-island nor try to make a living here, do you?
If you break your back to make everyone happy you will never walk again. There will be nothing to hold you up! You can't please everyone and thats the facts jacks!

I am not saying that these vendors are NOT arseholes I am just saying that these vendors hold no candle to Dominican Drivers and they should be happy to be walking instead of driving:)