First Trip - Spoiled by Street Sellers

smurfin

Sep 20, 2004
I'm just back from my second trip to DR and I had the feeling the street vendors were rather laisy. They always stayed polite en friendly. Although I had a AI bracelet around my arm :) You just have to be clear and then you have no problems. In the past I was in Tunisia and Turkey and there it's much worse! But I can imagine that a lot of those vendors think we are so rich that we can buy everything. I wish it was true ;)

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
this thread is all about trip reports, not how tough you think you are. Did you miss that part Bob? You win, I'll let you be a legend in your own mind. Now, back on topic please and thank you

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
When I was in Dr, I did find vendors to be somewhat annoying but they werent really that bad. It was just kind of annoying to try to take a nap on the beach only to be woken up by a vendor every other 15 minutes cuz he couldnt see I was sleeping cuz I had my sunglasses on. I wound up buying some fake cohibas for like US$5, a pair of fake gucci glasses for another US$5 (cuz i felt bad for the 2nd vendor) and some sort of necklace for US$5 during the whole time I was there. Whenever another vendor would start to pester me, i'd just point at the bag o` crap and say 'no gracias, ya yo compre'.

I know I overpaid for all of the stuff I bought but I felt kinda bad for thier situation yet at the same time I wanted them to leave me the hell alone. I figured that if I could at least make one person happy for the day by buying some trinket for what I consider a trivial amount of money then i've done my good deed for the day.

The real problems werent with vendors but with beggars. At first a little kid came up to me and asked me for money. I felt bad and gave him like three hundred pesos (exchange rate was 53 to 1 back then). He says 'gracias' and walks away, the next thing I know i'm mobbed by like 5 other little kids all saying 'gimmie money! gimmie money!'. Since I know how to speak spanish I solved this problem real quick by saying in spanish "you see that kid over there? I just have him a crapload of pesos" and *poof* no more beggars. The next day the same kid was asking me for money AGAIN. I said 'no' and he followed me for three whole blocks. I got upset and turned around and said in spanish 'if you keep bothering me i'm going to call the POLITUR! and they're going to put you in JAIL!'. Never had a problem after that, also never seen someone run away so fast before.

I think that if you have a strong grasp of the spanish language it can be both a weakness and a powerful weapon. If the vendors know that you know spanish they will annoy you to no end. However, if they know that you're smart enough and upset enough to actually take the time to talk to politur about them and get them into some real trouble then they'll most likely leave you alone.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This "problem" is not special to Sosua, it's much worse in Cuba, Mexico and Spain with the Canari Islands and other countries. Those wendors is just to be ignored, the most annoying is the shouting of those change idiots.
Just be happy that we don't have time share salesmen here in town, if that plague comming to Sosua, then you will miss the old days.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Walk slow past the VooDoo Lounge and you will have the pleasure of meeting local "RCI" sales reps trying to sell you Club Sabatini aka Sosua Bay Time shares!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes I know about that sucker, I'm going down to the beach almost every sunny day. But it's only one or two. I remember in The Canari Islands and in Cancun there where hundreds of them, in competition with each others. That was realy annoying.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tor said:
Just be happy that we don't have time share salesmen here in town, if that plague comming to Sosua, then you will miss the old days.
I guess you've never been to Casa Marina.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
I guess you've never been to Casa Marina.

I'm living in my own appartment in Sosua, and haven't been inside the Casa Marina area for many years. I stayed there acouple of times for about 6 years ago, what I remember was that the vendors of the beach there was 10 times more agressive than the vendors at Sosua Beach.
But what goes on inside the Casa Marina area, I think is an internal problem for them and their guests.

melinda

Nov 2, 2005
AI braclets

Hlywud said:
Wearing those infamous AI bracelets, without them you can say No gracias, no tourista.
Also your pasty white skin is a dead giveaway.

What are AI braclets Going to DR March and have no idea what the heck they are

melinda

Nov 2, 2005
AI braclets

Can anyone tell me what AI braclets are . Going to DR for the first time in March and need to know about them

Thanks Melinda

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
hehe, just a plastic bracelet the all inclusive hotels gives you to identify as a guest. When you leave the hotel for a walk it also identifies you as a dumb tourist target for street sellers.

sorry for the "dumb" but all including me were dumb the fist time leaving AIs with a bracelet :)

steet sellers are a pain, but they do it cause it works, they get money doing that

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HIde it

Figure a way to get the braclet off when you are out and about. It will save you many hassels with the vendors. But DO GET OUT AND ABOUT.

Bob K

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I just got back from my first (and certainly not last) trip to DR last week, and I agree the AI bracelet had the vendors (especially at Sousa beach) literally falling over each other to pull the wife and I into their shops. Found a sinple solution for that though - a velcro watch band over the bracelet. It greatly reduced the pressure from the vendors.

Probably going again in March or April, although not as a traveller yet - just an all inclusive tourist again. (The wife isn't ready to experience the real thing yet, but I'll get her ready to try it eventually.)

Beautiful country from what I've seen so far, and I can't wait to get back down there.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
For the bracelets just put your finger in between the wrist and the band while stating you have blood presure problems. Then it's a simple matter to slip it on and off. Sneaky street kid from the city.

JerseyJeff

Nov 2, 2005
I spent a week in Santo Domingo and the remote areas of Bahuroco (sp?) Province, and I was only asked once by a kid if I wanted a shoe shine for 5 pesos. I gave the kid $1 because he did a great job. A few old ladies asked me for some pesos, but I politely said no gracias.

Other than that, street vendors left me, the lone gringo, alone.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
JerseyJeff said:
I spent a week in Santo Domingo and the remote areas of Bahuroco (sp?) Province, and I was only asked once by a kid if I wanted a shoe shine for 5 pesos. I gave the kid $1 because he did a great job. A few old ladies asked me for some pesos, but I politely said no gracias.

Other than that, street vendors left me, the lone gringo, alone.
Because you were not in a tourist area, try Boca Chica or Sosua next time.

carolg

Nov 10, 2005
The best of the DR is the people...

I have been to the DR twice on medical brigades into the bateys. I have also detoured into the city to see the sights and to different beaches. I think the beauty of this country is it's people. My favorite part of my trips have been stopping to actually look people in the eyes and find out more about their lives and their culture. I even took that approach with the street vendors. I set aside a little money that I would spend on select vendors, and spent time talking to them as well as buying a little something from them. I learned so much about the Dominican Republic as we talked. They are not vultures, but real people living in a special country who are trying to make a living. I have found that travel is more enriching as I get to know the people of the country. The sights are pretty, but each person turns out to be beautiful in their own ways and have such interesting stories. I guess if you are wanting to vacation because you are stressed and want to be alone, the vendors would be inconvenient. It may even be that a place like the DR is not where you would want to visit. But if you would like to know what the locals like to do, what their families are like, where they chose eat, what they think about their government, how they raise their children, and all kids of fascinating things about their culture, maybe you should actually seek out these vendors!

MikeyandAsh

Nov 24, 2005
Wow, Paying for charmin seams a bit crazy. As for the panhandlers, I'll teach them a lesson if they try anything stupid with my GF. I have the b*lls to change there life forever. Call my lady a whore and you will be taking a dip in the ocean. Don't even bother f88king around with me while i'm there. They will no better once they see me. And touching me is just 100% out of the question.

From Toronto

Big Mikey

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MikeyandAsh said:
Wow, Paying for charmin seams a bit crazy. As for the panhandlers, I'll teach them a lesson if they try anything stupid with my GF. I have the b*lls to change there life forever. Call my lady a whore and you will be taking a dip in the ocean. Don't even bother f88king around with me while i'm there. They will no better once they see me. And touching me is just 100% out of the question.

From Toronto

Big Mikey
I can see a future call to the Canadian consul "Please help get my boyfriend out of jail". You may be from Toronto, but you aren't from here. Isn't it smarter to just walk away?