Flights to Europe

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I don't think the loads on Iberia are bad, at least judging from the seat maps for today's flights. Maybe about 2/3rds full if that. But hardly anything to eat or drink in a 9 hour flight really sucks.
And paying $2000 is ridiculous.
On another subject someone posted on FB the Evelop August 1 flight PUJ to MAD has been canceled.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
And paying $2000 is ridiculous.
On another subject someone posted on FB the Evelop August 1 flight PUJ to MAD has been canceled.
The cancellation of that Evelop flight just shows that tourism is not going to go back to normal anytime soon.

Regarding 2,000 for business class that does sound ridiculous and with no food. I always ask for an aisle seat on a long haul flight. This way I can get up and stretch a bit whenever I want. As good as being in business class for me.

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
The cancellation of that Evelop flight just shows that tourism is not going to go back to normal anytime soon.

Regarding 2,000 for business class that does sound ridiculous and with no food. I always ask for an aisle seat on a long haul flight. This way I can get up and stretch a bit whenever I want. As good as being in business class for me.
Have you used seatguru.com to help choose a seat? And also read the comments there from travelers who have used that particular aircraft configuration. There are usually 2-3 different seat maps, especially for wide bodies. So look at available seats on the airline website and then go to seat guru site.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Europe is watching -
-------------------------------------------------
Italy prohibits the entry of people traveling from the Dominican Republic

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … DA20026005

this is a warning of how bad the situation developing in DR is seen globally and in particular in Europe.

Time to fly is now before other countries do the same.

You only have to look at the spread of the cases around the country and the positivity and number of tests to realize this is not just about the capital it is about the whole of DR. The capital may have 60% of the cases but it also has 80% of the tests. 40% of the cases come from 20% of the tests and that say it all.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I need to get to the UK. I've just booked with BA. I leave next weekend. SDQ-MIA-LHR. AA from SDQ and BA from MIA. I will have to self isolate for 14 days when I arrive. My fare was $683 one way.
I am leaning towards going this route especially if I can do a pit stop in England. When I go online the AA SD - Miami and BA Miami to Heathrow, London is 600 and change but if I add Copenhagen or Billund in Denmark it becomes a ridiculous price.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Europe is watching -
-------------------------------------------------
Italy prohibits the entry of people traveling from the Dominican Republic

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … DA20026005

this is a warning of how bad the situation developing in DR is seen globally and in particular in Europe.

Time to fly is now before other countries do the same.

You only have to look at the spread of the cases around the country and the positivity and number of tests to realize this is not just about the capital it is about the whole of DR. The capital may have 60% of the cases but it also has 80% of the tests. 40% of the cases come from 20% of the tests and that say it all.
I will soon be calling airline to inquire.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Have you used seatguru.com to help choose a seat? And also read the comments there from travelers who have used that particular aircraft configuration. There are usually 2-3 different seat maps, especially for wide bodies. So look at available seats on the airline website and then go to seat guru site.
In my case I get a bit claustrophobic if I have a middle or window seat. I am actually set up with AA/BA as preferring an aisle seat so even if I don’t ask for it I normally get it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I contacted AA. For usd 647.40 I could go SD - Miami - Heathrow London and then using points to Billund, Denmark. AA - BA - BA. A good option. I hope it lasts.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
If one decides to go to Europe via US as an ESTA visa waiver traveller I think it is a good idea to update the ESTA online and ad its travelling in transit.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yes -- He had to do that... at the airport
Better to do it in advance
ESTA lasts two years but under the circumstances now I think it’s best to update it. I went to the US beginning of March and had forgotten about it and my ESTA had expired. I then did it at the airport on my Iphone and there is an important part where you enter a contact person in the US or you say its transit which I think is important right now to underline.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He couldn't board w/o doing it... renewing online

Painstaking to wait for it while the flight departs....

he made it -- BARELY!!!!

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
He couldn't board w/o doing it... renewing online

Painstaking to wait for it while the flight departs....

he made it -- BARELY!!!!
Actually same happened to me and I got on next flight. This was just weeks before Covid. So I have the ESTA but with a contact person in the US and address in the US. I prefer to redo it and set it up as traveling in transit.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
John the latest from BA is that they are going to try to resume on August 2nd, but subject to loads, 2 fpw Gatwick to Punta Cana. Iberia is 4 fpw (Sat, Mon, Tue and Thurs ex Madrid, Sun, Tue, Wed and Fri ex SDQ). The loads on the Iberia look OK for today ex SDQ, about 50% full. There is good Avios redemption availability on the Iberia at the moment in both Business and Economy.

I was booked on the BA flight for 2nd August from Gatwick to Punta Cana, but just cancelled on Friday. Nothing more until September, but who knows if they will fly.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
If one decides to go to Europe via US as an ESTA visa waiver traveller I think it is a good idea to update the ESTA online and ad its travelling in transit.

The US Gov website says that people cannot use an ESTA visa for transit if they have been in one of a number of countries in the past 14 days, and the UK is one of those countries, so a return to the DR via the US is not an option for me. Not sure I'd want to do that anyway, but needs must.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The US Gov website says that people cannot use an ESTA visa for transit if they have been in one of a number of countries in the past 14 days, and the UK is one of those countries, so a return to the DR via the US is not an option for me. Not sure I'd want to do that anyway, but needs must.

Linda the best way to go is via Madrid with Iberia from Santo Domingo, the flights connect nicely to London. But you need to be aware that you will need to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK and they are definitely checking that you do this. No visas required and Spanish immigration is quick.

Reactions: Linda Stapleton

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was booked on the BA flight for 2nd August from Gatwick to Punta Cana, but just cancelled on Friday. Nothing more until September, but who knows if they will fly.
Yes they cancelled all August flights on Friday. And I think it's very unlikely that they will resume their service in September as that's always the worst month due to hurricane season and the kids going back to school.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

John the issue is coming back to DR via the US. The US is still not allowing anyone to enter who has been in Europe, even for transit. So yes you can go back to Europe via the US, but you can't get back to DR again afterwards. To return you would have to go via Madrid, and then you will end up buying two tickets on two different routes, which will get expensive.

Reactions: Linda Stapleton

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
John the issue is coming back to DR via the US. The US is still not allowing anyone to enter who has been in Europe, even for transit. So yes you can go back to Europe via the US, but you can't get back to DR again afterwards. To return you would have to go via Madrid, and then you will end up buying two tickets on two different routes, which will get expensive.
Thanks for that clarification. I am finding this thread to be useful now. Maybe moderator could change title to “Flights DR to and from Europe” or something similar.