Flights to Europe

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Anyone know how busy SDQ is for departures and how full Iberia flights are?

A friend and I made it back from the UK yesterday, changing in Madrid and destined to Santo Domingo, all with Iberia. The first plane from the UK to Spain was about half full and the second one was chocker block, I didn't see an empty seat, almost all Dominican people, not tourists as such. Thanks to Tropical Paul for all your help.

The airport itself was not very busy at all.

We had conflicting information about whether it was necessary to complete the online health declaration (QR) within 48 hours before arrival in Spain, as we were transiting. As the guidelines were not clear, we completed it to be on the safe side and turns out it was not asked for, but my friend had special assistance so we did not take the standard route. Everyone on the plane who had not already completed that online had to fill out a paper form, as did those entering the DR.

We narrowly escaped the covid testing, apparently when they'd tried to test everyone on arrival the previous day there were near riots because people were being held up for 4-5 hours. I hear they are now going to insist on the negative test within 5 days of entering the country and if a person doesn't have that, they'll be required to have a free test on arrival. I think that's from 31st July, but not certain. Yesterday everyone's temperature was monitored and I think they tested anyone whose temperature was high. Changing all the time.

Reactions: aarhus

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Flew on Iberia. Know their seat maps show lots of seats but flight was packed.
Cold food that was better than hot meal. Everyone wore masks except for 3 young
boys traveling alone who were joking all flight who sometimes wore them and sometimes not.
Had to finally get flight attendent to do something. Sleep with them not possible.

Reactions: Chirimoya

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
Flights to UK, -

Took my friend to Puerto Plata Airport ; Saturday 8th.August.
PP to Newark to Heathrow with United. Apparently no problem.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Any current news on flights to/from Europe (DACH)?

I found Iberia, Air Europe via Spain, Edelweiss via Switzerland and Air France via Paris. Thats it.

Booked Air France for September 5, next day Air France canceled and did not offer an alternative, the money the will maybe payed back in 90 days. Nice...other nice twist, the embassy recommended Air France for being the airline which is not canceling...nice

Soooo...air france is gone from that list of airlines having flights to Europe. Now thinking Air Europe or is that the next airline taking my money and running away with it?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

I found Iberia, Air Europe via Spain, Edelweiss via Switzerland and Air France via Paris. Thats it.

Booked Air France for September 5, next day Air France canceled and did not offer an alternative, the money the will maybe payed back in 90 days. Nice...other nice twist, the embassy recommended Air France for being the airline which is not canceling...nice

Soooo...air france is gone from that list of airlines having flights to Europe. Now thinking Air Europe or is that the next airline taking my money and running away with it?
I would say Iberia via Madrid if you have to avoid the US.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I relocated from SD to a Playa area until I fly to Europe. I am booked in September SD - Miami - Heathrow, London - Billund, Denmark. AA - AA - BA. First two legs around 700 and last leg paid with points. Billund is in Jutland Denmark and I then get picked up by family and go to Aarhus where I am from.
I decided to change my flight and now going in December. No change fee and even got some money back as it was a cheaper ticket. When I get to Denmark I will probably stay 6-7 months and then I hope by then I can go to England first before I fly with BA London, Gatwick to Punta Cana if that route is up and running again by then.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Due to us making plans, I see that Condor will have a decent amount available starting Oct/Nov. Of course, that might change... Those are from POP/SDQ/PUJ to FRA/MUC....

Reactions: Linda Stapleton

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
And there are MANY of these sorts within RD as we speak. Could even be that nice, quiet neighbor of your's who always waves hello and goodbye.
I have a Danish aqquintance who is here in the DR sorting things out before she travels back to Denmark with her husband. They both worked in hotels in Punta Cana. They can’t travel via the US to Denmark as he does not have a US visa. So that is an example of someone who has to avoid planning to fly via the US. Honestly Caonabo I have no idea what you are on about. Maybe the moderator should have a look at your comment.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have a Danish aqquintance who is here in the DR sorting things out before she travels back to Denmark with her husband. They both worked in hotels in Punta Cana. They can’t travel via the US to Denmark as he does not have a US visa. So that is an example of someone who has to avoid planning to fly via the US. Honestly Caonabo I have no idea what you are on about. Maybe the moderator should have a look at your comment.

Mr. Boyter, what exactly would you like a moderator to moderate regarding my assertion? Negate the truth?
It is widely known that there are many members of foreign nations that find solace within the RD. Just this past week, a fellow community member within the body of a private message shared with me the story of one of his neighbors who had been part of some large economic scheme (K Street) in another country. If the member wishes to share his knowledge fine, if not, I respect his privacy. It does not change the reality of the situation. I was not referring to you as some person who can not travel through the US of A, so relax.
Furthermore, you invoking a moderator every time something does not agree with you is growing very tiresome. If you do not agree with my assertions prove them wrong, don't run to teacher.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Mr. Boyter, what exactly would you like a moderator to moderate regarding my assertion? Negate the truth?
It is widely known that there are many members of foreign nations that find solace within the RD. Just this past week, a fellow community member within the body of a private message shared with me the story of one of his neighbors who had been part of some large economic scheme (K Street) in another country. If the member wishes to share his knowledge fine, if not, I respect his privacy. It does not change the reality of the situation. I was not referring to you as some person who can not travel through the US of A, so relax.
Furthermore, you invoking a moderator every time something does not agree with you is growing very tiresome. If you do not agree with my assertions prove them wrong, don't run to teacher.
The thread was really just about ways of travel to and from Europe and DR. I have no idea what you are on about in this post and in your prior post on the thread. No idea whatsoever.

Some cant travel via the US or they prefer to travel direct as its easier that way. I can as an ESTA visa waiver traveller and I don’t mind but prefer if its possible to fly direct. However don’t mind via Miami as have gone to and via Miami often.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

for you I would see Iberia out of Madrid as the most reliable one, IF anything in case of flights is reliable todays.
Spain is teh European country with the largest DR population, the same the other way around a lot of spaniards are here in DR.
this is one of the last flight routes that would go down/get closed.
so as a Eropean, I would put my bet on Iberia out of Madrid.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
here the same as for austriaco,
I would take Iberia to Madrid and then take a Inter European Flight to the home land from there.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

The thread was really just about ways of travel to and from Europe and DR. I have no idea what you are on about in this post and in your prior post on the thread. No idea whatsoever.

Some cant travel via the US or they prefer to travel direct as its easier that way. I can as an ESTA visa waiver traveller and I don’t mind but prefer if its possible to fly direct. However don’t mind via Miami as have gone to and via Miami often.

I'm European, my wife's from here (DR). I have to fully agree with John Boyter above, not really sure how that comment from Caonabo has to do with this thread nor is appropriate? I have a European passport, so do our kids, but my wife does not (yet). Why? Not because she did something wrong, but because she was born here... We could of course apply for a US visa for her, but as none of us have zero interest in using that visa, we have no reason to do that. She of course has already her Schengen residency... The only thing that we need to keep in mind that we cannot do a transit in the US... That has never however been any issue for us...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I'm European, my wife's from here (DR). I have to fully agree with John Boyter above, not really sure how that comment from Caonabo has to do with this thread nor is appropriate? I have a European passport, so do our kids, but my wife does not (yet). Why? Not because she did something wrong, but because she was born here... We could of course apply for a US visa for her, but as none of us have zero interest in using that visa, we have no reason to do that. She of course has already her Schengen residency... The only thing that we need to keep in mind that we cannot do a transit in the US... That has never however been any issue for us...
exactly,
but as you saw on prior posts, some have a hard time to understand such simple things.
and more so to stay on topic without mentioning their beloved home powers of ...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A bucket of ice-cold water has been thrown on our travel plans upon being told that travel to Spain is for EU citizens/residents only. I still qualify - only just - but Mr. C, a DR passport holder with a 5-year Schengen visa, does not.

Can anyone confirm that this is really the case?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
A bucket of ice-cold water has been thrown on our travel plans upon being told that travel to Spain is for EU citizens/residents only. I still qualify - only just - but Mr. C, a DR passport holder with a 5-year Schengen visa, does not.

Can anyone confirm that this is really the case?

You can check the actual restrictions here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

As far as I have understood (no facts, just my understanding), is that it depends on where you are from... Transit travel and that of close family members should be allowed... However, as we're making plans for the near future as well, I'd very carefully check directly with them letting them know exactly the situation and what documents you have at hand...

And what WW says above, if it's TO or VIA Spain..