French citizen kills robber

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Pedrochemical...Do you mean to say that if someone attacked your family, you would invite them to a sit down dinner and discuss their problems? educate them as to their misgivings?
I prefer them to be where they could do no harm to anyone at all. If In your mind that makes me into a Taliban, that is your problem.
What I said is that a dead drug dealer cannot sell anymore, and a dead robber cannot rob anymore.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah - if my family was attacked then I would probably kill in our defence at the time.
Otherwise I would set the law on them.
Arrested, charged, tried, convicted and then sentenced.
That is how we do it in the civilized world.
We do not kill thieves.
We do not kill drug dealers.

As I say, it is a good job that animals who would justify summary execution of these people cannot get elected due to their obvious stupidity.
That is Taliban territory.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
In Vietnam, I tried being nice to the enemy, but I soon found out that my talking was done better with my M-14. The Cong I wasted with my trusty piece of equipment never got the chance to kill innoent women and children again. If you consider me to be an animal, that is your choice, but I have the right to execute mine also. Good choice of words.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Civilized World

(...) I would set the law on them.
We do not kill thieves.
That's good.
Now, may I ask in what country you live or are a citizen of?

donP

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
In Vietnam, I tried being nice to the enemy, but I soon found out that my talking was done better with my M-14. The Cong I wasted with my trusty piece of equipment never got the chance to kill innoent women and children again. If you consider me to be an animal, that is your choice, but I have the right to execute mine also. Good choice of words.

Yeah, you are a regular John Wayne.
The only good injun is a dead injun - was that him?
You didn't win the Vietnam war and you will never win the war in your mind.
Have you figured it out yet?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
That's good.
Now, may I ask in what country you live or are a citizen of?

donP

Over the last 7 years I have lived 3 in the D.R. and 4 in Haiti.
I have been back in the UK for 6 months.
Never had a problem - I wonder why.

What's your point Don?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Better Understanding

Over the last 7 years I have lived 3 in the D.R. and 4 in Haiti.
I have been back in the UK for 6 months.

What's your point Don?

Thank you for your detailed answer.
I can understand your view of things much better.

donP

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It sounds like it happened in self defense, the bad guy wanted to shoot the Frenchman but his gun malfunctioned. I think the world is better off without this guy in the streets.

Urban Math:

Society lost one armed robber whose (probably cheap) gun jammed as he was trying to shoot an armed French sharpshooter who shot him in the face dispatching him to the great beyond. My guess is the Frenchman's gun was probably legal and of high quality. His skill with the weapon was certainly high quality.

Society minus one dirtbag = Big Plus One

Vive la France!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cooking Oil vs. Gun Oil

(...) gun jammed as he was trying to shoot (...)

It's always the same:
Typical Dominican 'falta de mantenimiento' :tired:
Cooking oil is not as good as proper gun oil... :bunny:

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At the beginning of this thread, there were some very pertinent questions asked:
Who tipped off the assault team that the man was carrying a lot of money?
1) Someone in the bank? Kind of hard to see just how that would work, but it is doable, of course.
2) He told someone that he would be going to the bank for the money and that someone told someone else maybe innocently/maybe not.
3) Someone overheard the conversation and sent the hit team to watch out for the guy..

There are a lot more questions than answers.
The Police ballistics lab here is pretty good. They will examine the weapons...find out what happened.
Note: the only way for a weapon to jam is to fire it! Therefore, there was already an attempted murder so whatever happened next was perfectly legal...
IMO

HB

Always loved the story of the guy stopped one day by the State Police (Smokey Bears) and as a normal procedure the patrolman asks: Sir do you have any weapons in your possession or in your vehicle?
The guy answers: Yessir, Officer. I have a Glock 9mm, here in my shoulder rig, there is a S&W .357 magnum in the glovebox, over the rear window of this pickup there is a Ruger .270 Deer Rifle and in a pocket in the back of the seat there is a Ruger .50 cal revolver. Here are the permits for these weapons.

The Policeman looks at the armory with awe and asks: Sir, what are you so afraid of?

And the Good Ol' Boy looks the officer in the eye and says: "not a fuc*ing thing son."

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Urban Math:

Society lost one armed robber whose (probably cheap) gun jammed as he was trying to shoot an armed French sharpshooter who shot him in the face dispatching him to the great beyond. My guess is the Frenchman's gun was probably legal and of high quality. His skill with the weapon was certainly high quality.

Society minus one dirtbag = Big Plus One

Vive la France!

I would like to add to your math that the loss would have been much bigger if the "good guy" would have gone to "the great beyond" instead of the "bad guy". What changed the result of your math is that, luckily enough, the "probably cheap gun jammed", so that the more valuable person was able to defend himself.

Result is society minus one dirtbag plus one great Frenchman.

Sorry, no acceptance for your math! I always prefer the better person to win and BTW, I am not French.

Last edited:

Sellmore

Banned
Aug 8, 2011
Yeah - if my family was attacked then I would probably kill in our defence at the time.
Otherwise I would set the law on them.
We do not kill thieves.

As I say, it is a good job that animals who would justify summary execution of these people cannot get elected due to their obvious stupidity.
That is Taliban territory.

How do you set the law on Corrupt lawyers, thieves and crooks in The Dominican Republic? I would love to know

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Good question - if you want a non-corrupt lawyer then you will find one on this forum.

There is this notion that law does not exist in the D.R.
Sure it is a bit nebulous - but it does exist.

Any expat worth his salt is on at least nodding terms with his local fiscal.

Some fiscals are at the centre of any big crime in their area but 2 of the 3 whose jurisdiction I have lived under were honest, decent people.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Gun Control

1. A sharp eye
2. A steady hand
3. They will take my gun away when they pry my cold dead fingers away from it!!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Oh Pedro puleees! With your namby-pamby-tree-hugging let's get nailed to a tree for our sins kind of crap!

The robber's gun jammed therefore he must have pulled the trigger. When you pull the trigger things called bullets leave the barrel of a gun really fast and they ruin your day if that barrel was pointed at you. The quick thinking Frenchman was able to get out his gun and fire back before the robber was able to un-jam his gun and have another go.

Mind you, by the sounds of it, you would have let him have the other cheek!

The robber is dead and you're preaching virtues of civilisation! You're an idiot!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think the Guy was extremely good at what he does, keeping his cool in that situation, enough to not blast a hole in his own leg is quite something. I remember when we got robbed at Xmas, a gun in my face and waved between my daughter in the pram and my lass, phwoa, the last thing on my mind was I wish I had a gun, if I had he would without a doubt shot me.
I think these guys are brilliant who can train to be so cool under such pressure. In the same breath, I think the reason so many are gunned down is because they are carrying a gun themselves. No chance if a guy has a gun at your head, you are going to draw yours before he pulls that trigger, hence carrying guns is more dangerous then not. Just hand it over and worry about it later.
I disagree with all the cowboys here who profess to have dawn and gunned down people in such situations, I just think they are lying. Having been in that position and seeing the options, the only way would be to hand it over and then shoot them in the back once they turn. If they shake you down also, as they did me, you are fkuched!!!
I'd happily buy the Frenchman a beer, just so I could tell him how lucky he was that gun failed, as this would have been a different story and everyone on DR1 would be running around weeing themselves screaming we are all doomed, we are all gunna die!!!!!!!!