French citizen kills robber

Jul 4, 2010
These criminals worked on a tip-off as the Frenchman felt he was being followed (before he withdrew the money).
This could even have come from his immediate surroundings (as so often) and/or as far as Las Terrenas.

donP

Don't quite understand how someone carrying, or about to carry, so much money, and who also feels being followed, doesn't invest a couple of thousand pesos to ride shotgun with him. Frenchman was either stingy or plain stupid. He almost got himself killed for his senselessness!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
crimen muy comun

Believe or not,this type of organized crime(because it is organized)happens more often than most would think throughout Latin america and the Caribbean.It is not that hard for a customer service rep at the bank,to send a text to the would be robber with a detailed description of the person and his/her vehicle,and after the fact,meet at their rendezvous to get their cut.This reminds me of a similar case in Caracas,Where a retired police officer withdrew 6000 bolivares at a shopping center and later was robbed and killed and front of his wife and young daughter.Now,la solucion?from the rep at the bank to the corrupted military(with the police in between of course)kill them all.It might sound harsh,but can somebody tell me the difference between your ladron comun robbing bank and un policia corrupto robando una casas de cambio?If you ask me,it's just that one has more resources than the other.To me,the cop is just a ladron with a license to carry.And let's not forget the higher ups that send their government hit men to take care of their dirty deeds and go unpunished.Those are the ones that should be in fear of leaving their homes instead of the common hard working citizens.This just shows how the level of corruption is at every level en la Republica Dominicana.Not to say that they are not honest cops,military personnel and maybe even some government officials.Once in a blue,they should do una "limpieza"de esta gente if you know what I mean.And for pedro,I guess Osama should've been prosecuted in the us,correct? tell that to the families from the London bus bombing,Madrid train bombing,the 200 most of them tourist that died in Bali,the towers,The Ohio bombing,etcetera.Let's all have a nice and fair trial for those responsibles.CON MUCHO AMOR PEDRO. JUAN,GROUP 7 Latin America and the Caribbean. The reason why things are not worst down there

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They tried and convicted the Bali bombers - this resulted in their execution I beleive.
They caught tried and convicted the London bombers. (Did that all happen yet?)
But you want to do all that a different way?

As for Bin Laden - they either did not want to or could not catch and kill him for 9 years.
Either way it was disgusting.
If he is dead - then I am glad he is dead - I would have liked to see him go on trial even more, though.

NYDad - "Kill them all."

And who is going to do it? You? Tough guy dad wants a load of people killed.

Your thesis is that if we start blowing away whoever you do not like then the there would be no more attrocities?

You have to see the irony there.....

Grow up.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And you still beleive that all these attacks are coordinated by some James Bond style evil organisation simply and irrationally bent on the destruction of anything good in the world?

Good luck with that war on terror.

FFS!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Don't quite understand how someone carrying, or about to carry, so much money, and who also feels being followed, doesn't invest a couple of thousand pesos to ride shotgun with him. Frenchman was either stingy or plain stupid. He almost got himself killed for his senselessness!
Not such a unique occurance. The owner of the Second Ave. Deli in NYC was killed in broad daylight while going to the bank. His killer was never caught.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
que gracioso pedro,disfruta

And you still beleive that all these attacks are coordinated by some James Bond style evil organisation simply and irrationally bent on the destruction of anything good in the world?

Grow up? Lol.Maybe we should deport them back to their countries where they are not even wanted.I'm sure if someone dispatches your family in a violent way,you would want them tried fairly with your own tax dollars too correct.Not surprised at all by your remark there pedrito.I'm sure you are the same guy that spends every holiday walking freely and in no fear with your family,is off on holidays and weekends,but yet wanna rip the people that keep you safe correct? And you are correct as far as the attacks,they are not coordinated.by some extremist organization,I mean anybody can hijack planes and make bombs.It's not the people that you see but the ones you don't see that keep you safe my man,the ones away in foreign land for six months without seeing their family and not knowing if they are going to again.Do me and people that agree with me a favor,keep enjoying your daily hot plate the arroz con habichuelas and reading your lil newspaper en la seguridad de tu galeria

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

My understanding is that kind of help is useless. Sure you can find someone to take your 2K pesos and hang around with you until you need them and then they?ll head for the hills, but outside of (some of) your family the only one that is going to take care of you is you.

The plot thickens. Now the police says that the victim was the poor chap killed in cold blood by the victimizer, the Frenchman, who is now in jail....

Someter?n franc?s mat? alegado atracador - ElNacional.com.do

Where are you reading that?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Believe or not,this type of organized crime(because it is organized)happens more often than most would think throughout Latin america and the Caribbean.It is not that hard for a customer service rep at the bank,to send a text to the would be robber with a detailed description of the person and his/her vehicle,and after the fact,meet at their rendezvous to get their cut.This reminds me of a similar case in Caracas,Where a retired police officer withdrew 6000 bolivares at a shopping center and later was robbed and killed and front of his wife and young daughter.Now,la solucion?from the rep at the bank to the corrupted military(with the police in between of course)kill them all.It might sound harsh,but can somebody tell me the difference between your ladron comun robbing bank and un policia corrupto robando una casas de cambio?If you ask me,it's just that one has more resources than the other.To me,the cop is just a ladron with a license to carry.And let's not forget the higher ups that send their government hit men to take care of their dirty deeds and go unpunished.Those are the ones that should be in fear of leaving their homes instead of the common hard working citizens.This just shows how the level of corruption is at every level en la Republica Dominicana.Not to say that they are not honest cops,military personnel and maybe even some government officials.Once in a blue,they should do una "limpieza"de esta gente if you know what I mean.And for pedro,I guess Osama should've been prosecuted in the us,correct? tell that to the families from the London bus bombing,Madrid train bombing,the 200 most of them tourist that died in Bali,the towers,The Ohio bombing,etcetera.Let's all have a nice and fair trial for those responsibles.CON MUCHO AMOR PEDRO. JUAN,GROUP 7 Latin America and the Caribbean. The reason why things are not worst down there
Very cynical for a person who wants to pack up 3 small children and move here to paradise. Must be a reason you want to get out of town.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And you still believe that all these attacks are coordinated by some James Bond style evil organisation simply and irrationally bent on the destruction of anything good in the world?

Grow up? Lol.Maybe we should deport them back to their countries where they are not even wanted.I'm sure if someone dispatches your family in a violent way,you would want them tried fairly with your own tax dollars too correct.Not surprised at all by your remark there pedrito.I'm sure you are the same guy that spends every holiday walking freely and in no fear with your family,is off on holidays and weekends,but yet wanna rip the people that keep you safe correct? And you are correct as far as the attacks,they are not coordinated.by some extremist organization,I mean anybody can hijack planes and make bombs.It's not the people that you see but the ones you don't see that keep you safe my man,the ones away in foreign land for six months without seeing their family and not knowing if they are going to again.Do me and people that agree with me a favor,keep enjoying your daily hot plate the arroz con habichuelas and reading your lil newspaper en la seguridad de tu galeria

Stop getting your panties in a bunch like a little girl.
If someone did that to my family I would want them brought to trial and punished - not have bogus wars where thousands of innocent people die in the name of punishing these culprits.

Your rant is a bit diffuse and barely intelligible but I have friends who went to fight in the middle east and I have nothing but respect for these guys. They share my views on the war, justice and terrorism.

What is keeping us safe in my country is not the US war on terror.
It is the fact that by and large we get on just fine here. There are a few nutters who bang on about Sharia law - on both sides - but we get on here, thanks very much.

I understand that we are in for a few weeks of flag waving as everyone tries to demonstrate that they are just as patriotic as the next guy - and fair enough - I stand "shoulder to shoulder" with my American friends - we all do - but for heavens sake, stop writing (lol) like a fkn cowboy, big man, gun-slinging, shoot 'em up and hand 'em high reactionary, NWO lunatic.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Let's all have a nice and fair trial for those responsibles.

The point of a trial is to prove guilt. Without that there is no justice. There are only three options:

1.) Tyranny where the government metes out discipline at it?s own digression.
2.) Anarchy where individuals take vengeance as they want.
3.) A combination of the two.

You?re mighty ****ing righteous. You?d think that all good things on earth sprung from you.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
The point of a trial is to prove guilt. Without that there is no justice. There are only three options:

1.) Tyranny where the government metes out discipline at it?s own digression.

You?re mighty ****ing righteous. You?d think that all good things on earth sprung from you.
pedro quimico and wuarhat,it's not about being patriotic,let's see if I can make my point clearer.By taking out certain people,you can avoid other atrocities from taking place.Believe me guys,I don't have a cowboy attitude nor I would ever think that the U.S is always right.I don't believe in collateral damage,nor do I believe for a second that dropping bombs on innocent people is acceptable(HIROSHIMA).Do I believe having over 60000 troops waging war is necessary? Of course not! I believe in killing the snake at the head with surgical precision without others getting hurt.You have to also understand that the justice system is not 100% fair to the people that are affected by these criminals.It was just my opinion based on observations mi amigo.In DR,all you have to know is a big coronel and that's your get out of jail free card.You want someone to go to trial,get sentenced to five years and get out after three for good behavior?Fine for you if you think that's fair.I was watching noticiero sin segunda edicion,and they showed a two year old laying dead on a hospital bed,still wearing diapers.A gun fight broke out and the baby along with his mother got the worst of it(Mother survived though).That guy that tried to rob the french man had killed to other people,civil servants according to hill billy's post.It probably would've been a third person,had his gun not jammed the way it did.I'm not gonna lie to you,I do agree with you that the military is used as a tool for very powerful people to get their way and for their friend to get rich at other's expense,but if they weren't around,things would be far worst.Now before I finish,let me apologize for the comment on you ripping soldiers. But sometimes you feel that enough is enough,you have to understand that in this world there's evil people that would never change,people that when actually go to jail,while awaiting trial,order hits on key witnesses and so on.What happens when a reporter gets some dirt on some big politician or drug dealer? lo desaparecen magicamente.Are these people ever going to be tried fairly when witnesses are disappearing. or fearful of coming forward?I hope,and I hope for our sake,that one day any person that commits a crime can be tried for it fairly without bias(race,religion,pobre o rico) But as of right now,It seems that la limpieza se va a seguir haciendo whether we like it or not.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011

1.) Tyranny where the government metes out discipline at it’s own digression.

You’re mighty ****ing righteous. You’d think that all good things on earth sprung from you.

That sounds beautiful on paper but what if you can never bring that person to trial? isn't it tyranny itself to allow these people to keep committing crimes?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I read a very interesting article in Nat Geo the other day about Trial and Justice in a modern world. It was quite eye opening and made way for a new way of looking at international differences. Parts of Eastern Europe still practice an eye for and eye, the courts actually push or sway families to sort things out between themselves. You kill someone in my family, then someone in my family will kill someone in your family. But families spend decades locked in a house sheltering from the other side.
In West Africa someone is accused of murdering anothers family member, the family is asked by the courts to have a trial by oil. A pan of boiling oil is set up, and an iron ball put in the pan. Both the accused and the accuser are asked to put their hand into the boiling oil, retrieve the iron ball. Whoever has a burned hand is guilty and lashed. If the accusing side has a burnt hand then he is now guilty of the murder himself and must be lashed.
With such diverse modern day trial and punishment logic and practice, this planet will never see eye to eye on anything like this.

Personally I think each occasion deserves a different method of trial and justice. If I see a guy gun down my brother then I feel it is ok for the police to gun him down. If a guy is suspected of gunning down my brother then I would like a fair trial, then death penalty if guilty. I know there is not much support for the death penalty these days, but I can't see why me and every other tax payer should be supporting criminals, we struggle and pay beyond anyway. In a place like America it is complicated, so easy to get guns,,,, come on. Americans are just so cool about guns, and using them. I remember the first time I saw a gun go off was in Sosua, the police shot a guy on a moto, I was with my American pals and they just cooled it out, stood to the side of the sidewalk while all the drama played out, I freaked out like a child hearing thunder for the first time, I didn't know how serious hearing a gun was, what the usual drama was after a shooting, what I was expected to do, what I should do. It struck me that because even though the US and UK are such regular bum buddies, we are cultures apart in so many ways.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
exactamente

I read a very interesting article in Nat Geo the other day about Trial and Justice in a modern world. It was quite eye opening and made way for a new way of looking at international differences. Parts of Eastern Europe still practice an eye for and eye, the courts actually push or sway families to sort things out between themselves. You kill someone in my family, then someone in my family will kill someone in your family. But families spend decades locked in a house sheltering from the other side.
In West Africa someone is accused of murdering anothers family member, the family is asked by the courts to have a trial by oil. A pan of boiling oil is set up, and an iron ball put in the pan. Both the accused and the accuser are asked to put their hand into the boiling oil, retrieve the iron ball. Whoever has a burned hand is guilty and lashed. If the accusing side has a burnt hand then he is now guilty of the murder himself and must be lashed.
With such diverse modern day trial and punishment logic and practice, this planet will never see eye to eye on anything like this.

Personally I think each occasion deserves a different method of trial and justice. If I see a guy gun down my brother then I feel it is ok for the police to gun him down. If a guy is suspected of gunning down my brother then I would like a fair trial, then death penalty if guilty. I know there is not much support for the death penalty these days, but I can't see why me and every other tax payer should be supporting criminals, we struggle and pay beyond anyway. In a place like America it is complicated, so easy to get guns,,,, come on. Americans are just so cool about guns, and using them. I remember the first time I saw a gun go off was in Sosua, the police shot a guy on a moto, I was with my American pals and they just cooled it out, stood to the side of the sidewalk while all the drama played out, I freaked out like a child hearing thunder for the first time, I didn't know how serious hearing a gun was, what the usual drama was after a shooting, what I was expected to do, what I should do. It struck me that because even though the US and UK are such regular bum buddies, we are cultures apart in so many ways.

If the proof is there,and they claim proudly responsibility for the crime,why waste time and money for a trial?And why should we pay for their 60 years of three free meals a day,tv,recreation time,heat and a bed?Is it barbaric? Yes it is,pero carajo,I'm sure if you made examples out of certain people in front of el pueblo,others like minded would think twice before they rape,kill or rob their next victim.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006

1.) Tyranny where the government metes out discipline at it’s own digression.

You’re mighty ****ing righteous. You’d think that all good things on earth sprung from you.

That sounds beautiful on paper but what if you can never bring that person to trial? isn't it tyranny itself to allow these people to keep committing crimes?

pedrochemical objected to a single statement: “All people who help crooks and robbers reach their ultimate destinations should be applauded and rewarded.”, and was accused by many of a host of unrelated sentiments. He offered no opinion on the actions of Thierry, or whether people should defend their families, or whether Osama bin Laden was a great guy, or any of the other nonsense. The hysteria resulting from his objection is a perfect example of why I also object to that statement.

Anybody hear anything about the results of Friday's hearing? Is Thierry still in jail?

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
If the proof is there,and they claim proudly responsibility for the crime,why waste time and money for a trial?

Because people lie, they are easily convinced to testify to something they only think they might have seen, there are many people who confess to things they haven't done (would you execute them all), there are many degrees of each type of crime. The cost of a review of the evidence and all the circumstances of each crime is the price you have to pay for a system of law and order.

And why should we pay for their 60 years of three free meals a day,tv,recreation time,heat and a bed?

Once again, it's a price you pay for a system of law and order.

Is it barbaric? Yes it is,pero carajo,I'm sure if you made examples out of certain people in front of el pueblo,others like minded would think twice before they rape,kill or rob their next victim.

Let's look at Texas. They must kill a hundred people a year. If it's so effective why do they have to keep doing it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... Let's look at Texas. They must kill a hundred people a year. If it's so effective why do they have to keep doing it.

Don't you just love it when someone tries to make a point with NON-FACTS that are no where close to the truth?

Try checking for facts before making such ridiculous statements.

2011 - 8
2010 - 17
2009 - 24
2008 - 18
2007 - 26
2006 - 24
2005 - 19
2004 - 23
2003 - 24
2002 - 33
2001 - 17
2000 - 40