Hot hot hot

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is appallingly hot where I live in the north west mountains and we have no AC and no fans as it never gets hot - not until now. Every day in April has been between 5 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit higher than the average for this month. Apparently it is due to high pressure, wind from the south and a heavy layer of Saharan dust. No sign of it breaking for the moment and the temperature today is forecast to be 100 F and 101 tomorrow.

Matilda

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Was coming back from Constanza after picking up a bunch or rose bushes, and the 2-60 air wasn't working very well, it was like a convection oven from the bottom of the hill in Jarabaoa all the way to Gaspar.....
And today it's supposed to be even hotter.....rio time today.....hopefully Ojo de Agua......

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Bienvenidos a Santiago:
4rA7oUH.png

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Today & tomorrow, "they" are calling for 39 C before the humidex is factored in on the NC. I've told myself I'll never be truly "cool" again as long as I live here. So everyday begins with the expectation of being warmer than I would prefer, but these temperatures are certainly unexpected at this time of year.

Normally don't use AC during the day, but late yesterday afternoon I'd had enough and turned it on. The pool while wet is not nearly as refreshing as I would prefer. Thermometer in the pool read 92 F. Getting out of the pool brings momentary relief but minutes later have to jump back in to repeat the process.

No significant rain expected on the NC until sometime after May 7 at least. My poor fruit trees - I can hear them crying in the stillness of the night.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
and I thought that it's only me.. that I'm getting older or so and cant stand this heat anymore...
it's freaking hot in Las Terrenas....I have a fan working behind me, maybe 50 cm behind my back and with it its "quite normal".
but outside ? unbearable....

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My heat relief is the mantra...you don't have snow to shovel, you don't have snow to shovel!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In the past I found comfort in the concept that if I was cold I could always put on more clothes. Here, I have nothing left to take off... :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My house has 1 and a half levels. There is a 1 floor difference between the front door and the back door.
Which is great !!!!
At night, I sleep downstairs in relative coolness. No fan ( even if I have ceiling fans ) and no AC. Upstairs, at night is stifling hot.

During the day, all doors closed. At night all doors open ( disclaimer, please only do this if u also have bar doors ).

Lots of ice packs in the freezer.

Get up at 0500 and do ure chores to 0900. Then get out of the sun !!!
Stick a towel in the freezer, and take it into the hammack with u, for a 1200 to 1500 pabita.....
From 1800 to 2200 back to chores.

Foodwise, no fried stuff or stewed...... lots of salad.
No alcool or sweety sodas...... lots of water and tea ( hot or cold ).

I wait for the water mains to come on, so I dont need to take showers with the hot water from the tinacoa.

Oh and lots, lots of water for the dogs and chickens......

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And to say some were complaining about the "cold" during the winter. Told you guys to enjoy it while it lasted!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Foodwise, no fried stuff or stewed...... lots of salad.
No alcool or sweety sodas...... lots of water and tea ( hot or cold ).
I've been making a lot of gazpacho for the last week or two:

6 very ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
one small cucumber, peeled and chopped
half a green pepper, chopped
one carrot, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
half a small onion, peeled and chopped
half a bread roll/two slices of bread, soaked in water
olive oil (3 tablespoons)
vinegar (one tablespoon)
salt to taste

Put all ingredients in the blender with cold water and blend until smooth
Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before consuming, the longer the better

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I"Could" HAVE SPENT THE WINTER IN BOSTON!!!!!!
I'll take the "HEAT" anytime.
That's why god invented "AC"!!!!!!!

Now if "SHE" would just pay my electric bill!
It was 16,000 last month, I expect more like 20,000 this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can REALLY feel the difference when I came out of my "AC" in the after noon the last 4 or 5 days!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I did not want to interrupt with an Off Topic Earlier in the thread.. but
Why dont some of you who live there, and OWN , invest in SOLAR..
Up here in the northeast its a total waste of $ imo, cuz the elect co only pays 33 cents on the dollar when you produce excess, so you in effect buy back your own electricity at TRIPLE the price when the sun is not shining and at night.
by my calculations its a no win situation esp when most people are at work during the day where the AC is Free, so you cant possibly enjoy the free electricity except on your days off..

fast Forward to Retirement or living as Expat in the DR...
The DR, as in FLORIDA and other Sunny Hot places, and say you are Retired or semi retired..
I would plop down the $ and never worry about Electricity again for the next 20 years or more
. Heck you could probably power 2 or 3 homes down there.
There is no way I wouls pay MORE for Elect /per KW hour in the DR than it costs here in the USA, and we average around 11 cents a KW hour.. thats just NUTS that you cant RUN your AC full blast, and live in comfort..