Hot hot hot

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
do you know how much electricity consumes AC ? there is NO WAY to use it with solar panels only
I did not want to interrupt with an Off Topic Earlier in the thread.. but
Why dont some of you who live there, and OWN , invest in SOLAR..
Up here in the northeast its a total waste of $ imo, cuz the elect co only pays 33 cents on the dollar when you produce excess, so you in effect buy back your own electricity at TRIPLE the price when the sun is not shining and at night.
by my calculations its a no win situation esp when most people are at work during the day where the AC is Free, so you cant possibly enjoy the free electricity except on your days off..

fast Forward to Retirement or living as Expat in the DR...
The DR, as in FLORIDA and other Sunny Hot places, and say you are Retired or semi retired..
I would plop down the $ and never worry about Electricity again for the next 20 years or more
. Heck you could probably power 2 or 3 homes down there.
There is no way I wouls pay MORE for Elect /per KW hour in the DR than it costs here in the USA, and we average around 11 cents a KW hour.. thats just NUTS that you cant RUN your AC full blast, and live in comfort..

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
do you know how much electricity consumes AC ? there is NO WAY to use it with solar panels only

In the interest of Full disclosure, and to keep my integrity intact... I had just ASSUMED that since people were going crazy with these Solar Energy Systems... that in a sunny climate close to the equator, the savings must be substantial enough to make it even more worth while..Especially if you could run the AC on them all day long...
But after Only doing a small amount of Research and watching some videos, and doing simple math with say a 5K Watt unit at say 10-12 hours per day (50 to 60K watt hours) and given how many useful hours of sun per day etc etc
it appears that this whole Solar Craze is an even Bigger Scam than I had previously thought..
The deeper I dig, the more I am proving how wrong my orininal assumption was as to the capacity of Solar panels.
Unless you are building a Solar FARM Its just not going to work.
A company just built one literally like 2 miles from my home, was pretty cool to watch the process , about 100 + acres if not more. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
But Just more fuel to this Solar Craze that is sweeping the country here, but no real MATH that I could find to back it up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
solar is fine, i believe donP is entirely off the grid. but it is not that cheap, really. you need panels and batteries and invertors and you need to give maintenance to all your equipment.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
solar power is great. dont expect though to run AC units on it ..not possible.
I wouldnt be so sure also about running washing machine on it. but all the other stuff - lights, TV, computer, fridge, FAN - can run on solar, so what is the problem ? :)
so maybe its time to think and lower electricity consumption, install FAN instead of AC and it will run on solar without problems
your thinking is like a wish to drive SUV in Mad Max times. doesnt work.
In the interest of Full disclosure, and to keep my integrity intact... I had just ASSUMED that since people were going crazy with these Solar Energy Systems... that in a sunny climate close to the equator, the savings must be substantial enough to make it even more worth while..Especially if you could run the AC on them all day long...
But after Only doing a small amount of Research and watching some videos, and doing simple math with say a 5K Watt unit at say 10-12 hours per day (50 to 60K watt hours) and given how many useful hours of sun per day etc etc
it appears that this whole Solar Craze is an even Bigger Scam than I had previously thought..
The deeper I dig, the more I am proving how wrong my orininal assumption was as to the capacity of Solar panels.
A company just built one literally like 2 miles from my home, was pretty cool to watch the process , about 100 + acres if not more. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
But Just more fuel to this Solar Craze that is sweeping the country here, but no real MATH that I could find to back it up.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I honestly had no idea it was so hot elsewhere in the DR. As far as I can tell, it's been normal here in the East. Either that or I'm just used to the heat.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
where are the mountain breezes??? used to sit on balcon and enjoy the night breeze...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the mountains, to answer your question. I went up to Constanza for a few days and it was like driving to Spring Time. I plan on getting the work I have done and heading back up there.

Stay cool!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

If ONLY you had been "Obama's" alternative energy "Czar",...BEFORE he invested in the now bankrupt "SOLINDRA" solar panel fiasco!!!!

Congratulations, you did some research, and "Took It Like A Man/Woman" when you were wrong in your original premiss!

We don't see much of that here on DR1, or anywhere for that matter!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
Solar panels will doubtless be invented that are more efficient than those now being built.
Solyndra did not fail because their equipment was defective: they failed because they couple not compete with panels made in China and elsewhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You are correct. Solar and wind power are best done with large quantities of panels or turbines, and even "best" does not mean they are great. When all the fossil fuels are used up, they will no longer be an alternative.

For private usage, you have to learn to live frugally and have a large enough space to put the solar panels and hope they last a long time in this tropical environment. There are some posters here who have what they need. It would not be what I need.

I study the topic from time to time.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You are correct. Solar and wind power are best done with large quantities of panels or turbines, and even "best" does not mean they are great. When all the fossil fuels are used up, they will no longer be an alternative.

For private usage, you have to learn to live frugally and have a large enough space to put the solar panels and hope they last a long time in this tropical environment. There are some posters here who have what they need. It would not be what I need.

I study the topic from time to time.

The Farmer who grew vegetables on all that land which he gave up must have got a really nice Govt Incentive
( i assume again) , not sure what the money involved is.. but 100 Acres in NJ aint cheap.. and those panels are definitely a LONG term investment..when they were setting them up there were no less than 40 employees working on the massive project at all times ( I counted the parked cars)
but I honestly dont get the math on how these Solar panels can MAKE $$ for anyone..based on their current efficiencies.
On a Solar Farm the Panels are all facing the pefect angle at least, unlike a house roof which is never perfect unless you built it that way, so you are losing efficiency yet again.
My next door neighbor has Solar, large ranch , they went all in (when the credits were real good) ..not sure how happy they are but the Trinity Solar van is parked there quite often "repairing" or doing some kind of maintenance. it does not seem as carefree as the brochures make it out to be..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Solar panels will doubtless be invented that are more efficient than those now being built.
Solyndra did not fail because their equipment was defective: they failed because they couple not compete with panels made in China and elsewhere.

The "POINT" is NOT weather their solar panels were "defective" or not.
The "POINT" is, the US government should not subsidize start ups with no prospect of being able to compete in the international market.
But then "OBAMA" would not have got huge campaign donations from the Solindra ownership!
"Follow Da Moooooooneeee"!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i really doubt the Solundra contributions compared to the obligatory contributions from ..well.. wall street, big sugar, etc .. the oil companies.. all the ones that give half to one side half to the other.

I know that everyone tries to shout out that the Solandra thing was some sort of omg... buy off

but really.. nevada, california.. arizona should all be solar

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My system has 15 panels..... about 200W each

36 deep cycle gel batteries.

washing m/c, TV, stereo, computers, French door 'fridge, water impeller and purification system.....
but no A/C

always fully charged by noon or so on a sunny day
no public luz..... off grid, w/ a generator as back up.

installed in 2008..... still running strong on original batteries living there 7-8 months a year...... just 2 people.
when absent - fridge still on, water runs for cleaning, etc

all in all happy with the system
yes, all low watt bulbs and every other low watt thing you can think of.

as an aside, the old 'tube' type TV's use less power than the new 'flat' type - whodathunkit ???

Aug 6, 2006
That sounds like a seriously kickass system.

I know that a 22" Coby flatscreen CLAIMS to use less current than a 13" RCA old style 13" NTSC set, but I have never put both on a meter to verify this.

I suppose the key consideration would be the total number of square inches of screen illuminated. I know that the color TV sets that had modular circuits made back in the 1970's used a LOT of current. You could not comfortably hold your hand on top of an old DuMont 21" set made in 1973 that I once owned. It really got hot.

Aug 6, 2006
The US government spent a LOT of money to develop all sorts of aircraft that have been total failures. When Eisenhower became president, he was invited to look over the Atomic Airplane project, and immediately cancelled it. He correctly observed that no model of aircraft was immune from crashing, and that planes teneded to have most of their crashes when taking off or landing, and near cities. What do you call a crashed atomic aiplane but a small atomic bomb?

The project was secret, but it killed a number of people in development (they got as far as an atomic rocket sled on rails to test an engine).

Solindra was not nearly so big a loss as many Defense Dept. projects, and even really superior designe do not always make it in the marketplace (Betamax, for example).