HTC HD2 (poor man's iphone)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, it will work as a phone in DR but its no match for the phones we are talking about. You have a tiny 2.4" screen and a slow processor. It will work but not for what we an use our hd2 for. If you have the tmobile usa version then call T mobile and tell them you travel a lot and you would like to use the local sim cards to make local calls. Ask them to give you the unlock code. You have to find out your IMEI number which is inside the cell and also printed on the sticker when you remove the battery. Give that to t mobile and they will send you the unlock code. Now if you can't get the unlock code to use different company sims cards (example: claro, orange etc), you can have someone unlock it for you through a program called unlocker. do a google research and find out.
click here:
HTC Universal first free SIM unlock tool - MobileTopSoft.

now you owe me a beer but make sure its alcohol free.
AZB

First... yes to the beer

Second, It is unlocked and all I want it for is to retrieve e-mails and be a phone..... not an Internet tool.

Third..... I was the first to report the Droid success and everybody blew me off....now, redemption by Windeguy who seems to swing more weight than I do.
My quote from the WSJ was from September..... old news..

Thanks again

WW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First... yes to the beer

Second, It is unlocked and all I want it for is to retrieve e-mails and be a phone..... not an Internet tool.

Third..... I was the first to report the Droid success and everybody blew me off....now, redemption by Windeguy who seems to swing more weight than I do.
My quote from the WSJ was from September..... old news..

Thanks again

WW

I think your cell has wifi built in so you can connect with wifi and retrieve emails and you can even use some messenger apps to chat with your friends.
Windguy always has good tech info.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
A lot of people buy i-phones for the cool factor. You'd be surprised at how many people switch to the flavor of the day at the drop of a hat, and trade their i-phones for the latest BB, or Android. There's a reason people unlock it, jailbreak it, etc. At the end of the day, it has its limitations, and users want to modify it to fit their personal taste/needs.

Right now, the HTC EVO is the king; hands down! The only drawback is that it's only available in CDMA. Biggest screen, highest resolution, fastest processor, best photo/video camera, easiest to modify, and more... and guess what? It's an android!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Right now, the HTC EVO is the king; hands down! The only drawback is that it's only available in CDMA. Biggest screen, highest resolution, fastest processor, best photo/video camera, easiest to modify, and more... and guess what? It's an android!

Yup, evo is the king but too bad its not a GSM. HTC incredible is another monster phone but with a smaller screen and same processor as evo. So if you like the regular sized phones, HTC incredible is perfect (again CDMA) and if you are the bigger screen man, then HTC evo is the perfect phone for you. NEW HTC desire HD will be very similar to evo but with GSM. new HTC desire z will similar to HTC incredible but with gsm. so the GSM customers will enjoy a sized portion of the cake too in the near future.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think your cell has wifi built in so you can connect with wifi and retrieve emails and you can even use some messenger apps to chat with your friends.
Windguy always has good tech info.
AZB

Yes it does.... we'll see

thx again

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remember this? (My first cell phone...)

images

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I remember.... used to move it from car to car... take it to the golf course..... needed an extra caddy for the phone :cheeky:

CB, you've been conspicuously silent through all this chatter

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, I remember.... used to move it from car to car... take it to the golf course..... needed an extra caddy for the phone :cheeky:

CB, you've been conspicuously silent through all this chatter

WW
Just got back from 8 days in the states with little innerweb access...

Besides, I don't need a fancy mega-cell. In my former life I was tethered 24/7 to the latest and greatest at the time (Crackberry.) No mas. I now have a Chinese iPhone clone, an 8gb MiPhone running Windows 6.1 with the SPB skin and wifi. $160 total and works with my pay-as-you-need Orange card...:cheeky:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right, I forgot.....NYC and Phila...... weather wasn't terrible..... I was in Phila until Tuesday.... then drove the Buick to Lake Huron for winter storage

WW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Actual pictures taken by HTC Hd2 camera inside grocery store. It could be used as your travel camera.
2jg02lj.jpg

2ufvres.jpg

I only cropped the pictures a bit, no additional doctoring is done.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Nice pix, Aftab. My geek buddy is a huge Droid fan. His phone is a camera/cam corder and does an awesome job.

Although I'd like one of those Droid GSM cheapie phones that could be froyo'd...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Cobraboy, this is not an andriod (yet) but a windows mobile 6.5 OS phone. The froyo has been ported with success but it runs off the Sd card and all roms have some glitches. I am waiting for the 100% fixed andriod rom for this phone and only if its ported via nand (internal memory of the phone with windows erased). I am happy with the win mobile 6.5 for now and it does all that I need. Its more of a pocket pc than anything else. I can use it with my google voice , internet surfing, listen to music, FM radio, use camera and video capture, flash light and talk to my buddies on skype (voice chat without external head set with mic- all built in the phone) and I also use msn messenger via wifi. This phone does it all for me. I can't wait to use the GPS system in london on my next upcoming trip there. I will use the GPS in NY, atlanta and in london.
I paid 200 dollars for it on craigslist and 25 dollars to unlock it with a code. i am all set now.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I just need some free dominican maps for my gps system. anyone know of any free (open) maps for DR?
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It seems like you should just be able to use Google maps to navigate. I used to have it in my old Windows 6.5 Samsung Saga and to my surprise it actually worked perfectly in Santo Domingo when I was trying to find the zoo it took me right to it with GPS location locking down to 20 meters. I think if it worked on that crappola of a phone it should work much better with your HTC.

BTW one of the reasons I love my Evo is the google navigation app with GPS voice activated turn by turn directions and of course the large screen works just as good or better than any Garmin or other standalone GPS unit. That alone makes it worth the money I paid for it

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I made a Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas roadtrip using the Android GPS in my Evo. Totally awesome. My mom named my cellphone "Fifa" lol.

Nov 25, 2008
I have been around iphone, BB, Sony,back to Iphone 3g and I went into Samsung Vibrant [which I am selling for iphone 4] too many hang ups with the push email, never had a problem with the iphone email.
I guess for all the geeks out their who like to tweak their cell; android is fine, but for reliable no hassle I'm back with apple.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You can do better than canned peaches!

Actual pictures taken by HTC Hd2 camera inside grocery store. It could be used as your travel camera.

I only cropped the pictures a bit, no additional doctoring is done.

AZB:

Please take pictures of the Cibae?a hotties promoting the latest desert at the aisle caps next trip! Those canned peaches just don't quite jumpstart my morning.;)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Ok, technical gadget time:

I have been secretly studying the tricks and tweaks of the failed HTC phone called HTC HD2 (tmobile). Seem like people are too dissatisfied by the fact it runs on windows 6.5, freezes up and stops functioning etc. This pain has led the prices of this phone drop to as little as 170 dollars and for 200 bucks, you can get one (craigslist) almost brand new.
if you look at the specs, you would say "wow". A true power house with a huge 4.3" screen (biggest one in cells). The hardware will put many phones to shame but too bad HTC ****ed in the soup with windows 6.5 and not andriod froyo.
No need to worry, the hackers have cleaned up the mess with new custom roms for windows and there is a huge project in action to port andriod (froyo 2.2) on this windows based hardware. the andriod works 95% but runs off the micro Sd card. It will be just a matter of weeks before a fully functioning andriod OS would be installed on this equipment. Then it will be a perfect phone. I will be in atlanta next week but I have already send my brother in hunt for a nice condition HD2 phone with 16 gb sd card. I will put on a windows custom rom and make this phone work perfectly for my needs.
Look up the specs on this phone and see what it packs in a small package.
This phone plays movies and even flash animations, FM radio, huge 4.3" screen , 1gb ram, 1 ghz snapdragon processor, 3 mpix camera with led flash, makes video movies on full 30 frames / second, 16 gb SD card and etc. This phone will cover all the needs of a common person. In simple words, its a "pocket rocket". Will unlock it, jailbreak it and then put in claro sim card (note: DR related thread).
When I have my hands on this baby, I will write more.
AZB

Can I still use Office 2010 and other MS applications after the "conversion"? I am also waiting for a perfect Android rom...

Reactions: Tamborista

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
DR GPS map for windows mobile

Can I still use Office 2010 and other MS applications after the "conversion"? I am also waiting for a perfect Android rom...

office 10 comes with the new custom roms (example: kumar 3.0 premium).
By the way, I was able to download free maps for DR with labeled POI's example: gas stations, hotels, restaurants and even local pharmacies. So if you are in a strange neighborhood and feel you need to pop a la pela in your mouth? No worries, the nearest pharmacy is listed and the gps will navigate you to the location. The navigation is not perfect but you will not be able to get lost. The free GPS works good but it's still in very basic format. Now if you drive a chopa home to some far away dark barrio, no worries, the GPS will get you out alive.
Here is the map, but you have to register first.
La Hispaniola - Mapas Digitales para GPS

remember, you must have garmin xt installed on the device.