HTC HD2 (poor man's iphone)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks AZB. While I don't have a cell phone, I was able to merge the that map with my old map image and download it to my Garmin GPS. Looks like it does an OK job, but still with a way to go.

seems like the map was plotted by some barrio tigre. When ever you ask for navigation to some place, it prefers to take you through the barrio route. The map moves slow on hd2 so you better predict where you have to turn and if you miss the turn, it will recalculate the route. So the map is not so bad, can be used as reference map and will help you drive around the cities. There are lots of errors (in santiago alone) but over all, its not so bad for a free map.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here you go
T-Mobile USA HTC HD2 - xda-developers
that is what you want for info / developments / roms for your HD2
yeah but you really think its that easy? Be aware if you put on the wrong rom on the wrong model of the htc hd2, you can brick the phone. One has to be a little technical geek and know exactly what he/she is doing. Make sure you are looking at all the roms for the HTC HD2 t mobile USA version called: leo or t8585. If you put on the tmobile European version on an american version phone, kiss your hd2 good bye. Must read all the info on the xda before attempt anything. This what happens when you search on google for custom roms.
Must read all and i mean all before you attempt to fool with your hd2.
AZB

californian

Aug 19, 2008
yeah but you really think its that easy? Be aware if you put on the wrong rom on the wrong model of the htc hd2, you can brick the phone. One has to be a little technical geek and know exactly what he/she is doing. Make sure you are looking at all the roms for the HTC HD2 t mobile USA version called: leo or t8585. If you put on the tmobile European version on an american version phone, kiss your hd2 good bye. Must read all the info on the xda before attempt anything. This what happens when you search on google for custom roms.
Must read all and i mean all before you attempt to fool with your hd2.
AZB

correct. i am the technical geek you mention ;) the OP said he was using the US version, and the forum i linked to is only for the tmobile US version
in fact, funny thing... last night at 5am a friend messaged me that he bricked his HD2, so within about 3min i found him links to everything he needed, and within 10min he had a working HD2... it really can be that easy ;)

californian

Aug 19, 2008
I forgot to mention, that you are 100% correct that people need to be careful to know what they are doing, and especially to not just use whatever they find from google. that is the reason i posted the xda developers link... it should be the only place they use for this stuff, as it is where everything comes from. the hackers you mentioned above use this forum in addition to IRC (i hang in their IRC channels sometimes)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok so I know where you are coming from, but you also see what I was trying to avoid. There are too many people fiddling with this phone without knowing a thing. Then they damage it. Why do you think I was able to buy a brand new phone for $200 dollars? People who want to get rid off this phone have little idea how to use it in the first place, let alone customize it with custom roms. This is where you and I get to benefit. I am planning on buying 2 more (one for my brother and another for my girl).
Now if you want to help me out, please find me a good professional free map for DR (garmin xt). Thanks in advance.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i just tried installing andriod froyo on my sd card , mjd's evo version and seems like it killed my battery in a couple of hours use. The andriod was a killer and it was my first time using one. Its just incredible. Now I have to do some research into solving my battery drainage problem.
Help me if you know the answers.
AZB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
android on iphone 3g

just downloaded android 2.2 froyo on my iphone.now can choose between apple or android...
android is not fully functioning in iphone,but will have continuing updates as time goes by....kind of neet...it is amazing what you can do with iphones now....still the best.
bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
lets see, I have made some adjustments and installed a program to kill apps in the background. I have also disabled the gps etc. The radio is upgraded and flashed with the newest release. I hope to get better results.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
lets see, I have made some adjustments and installed a program to kill apps in the background. I have also disabled the gps etc. The radio is upgraded and flashed with the newest release. I hope to get better results.
AZB

Install The free "Battery Booster" from the Android mkt. It added at least 33% more time to each battery cycle on my HTC Incredible.

The Advanced Task Killer is just a green light and does nada!

t'

May 12, 2005
just downloaded android 2.2 froyo on my iphone.now can choose between apple or android...
android is not fully functioning in iphone,but will have continuing updates as time goes by....kind of neet...it is amazing what you can do with iphones now....still the best.
bob

Does the iPhone need to be jailbroken to install that?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Mjd's evo andriod rom is just amazing. I am so glad to see andriod runs so much faster and more efficiently than stupid win mobile os. The google apps on andriod are just amazing and the talking tom cat will make anyone laugh. Now I have the luxury of switching between both win mobile and andriod. When Andriod HD desire rom is fully functioning, I will install it and then I will never use win mobile OS again. Now I see why andriod is kicking iphone's ass. Viva andriod. I just bought an htc hd2 for my brother in atlanta though craigslist.com. He went and picked it up and now just waiting on me to set it all up.
AZB

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
correct. i am the technical geek you mention ;) the OP said he was using the US version, and the forum i linked to is only for the tmobile US version
in fact, funny thing... last night at 5am a friend messaged me that he bricked his HD2, so within about 3min i found him links to everything he needed, and within 10min he had a working HD2... it really can be that easy ;)

So my phone is a HTC Touch pro2 from sprint. You have links for this one also? How much space does android need on the SD card?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My battery problem is solved (improved). I have flashed my cell with the latest radio rom, installed the "advance task killer" app to shut down apps I am not using, turned off the gps and now I am good to go. Even after heavy usage for a few hours, with wifi turned on, watching videos, downloading apps and installing them etc, when I woke up this morning, the phone still had 36% battery left. So now I could use this andriod built rom on daily basis. I hope it stays problem free like this forever.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
finally a fully working andriod rom on htc hde. this was released today by our custom andriod god "mdeejay".
[UPD][BUILD][13.11.10] MDJ FroYo Sense Revolution v.1.6 [kernel: MDJ S3.1]
its as close to perfection as we can get. Everything works like an original andriod phone. I am impressed. I think I will use it as everyday OS on my hd2. Now I have a windows phone and also an advanced andriod phone, inside one phone. Like having 2 advanced phone inside one phone.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
AZB: Try this as well. How to be at 60-70% at the end of the day without disabling or turning off stuff that you want! - HTC EVO

This was for an EVO, but It will probably work for the HD2 as well.

I did and my battery improved a lot. Did a test yesterday with my EVO after doing this procedure and had it up and running for 25 hours and still 30% battery. This is with data turned on. Finally ran out of battery when I started using GPS navigation this morning, which I knew would run it down quickly. The EVO is a huge battery hog so for it to go that long without charging is very good. Before doing this procedure I would get about 12 hours or so before I had to charge it.

I don't have a task killer currently installed (used to but uninstalled it). There's a lot of debate on the web as to whether task killers help or hurt Android bases phones, as Android itself is supposed to manage the processes very efficiently (remember the backend is Linux).

The main thing is for you to check that the phone is sleeping properly. For instance I found if I had WI-FI turned on the phone would remain awake all the time, thus draining your battery. Just do a quick check and if awake time equals or is close to sleep time then you have something preventing it from going into sleep mode, thus draining your battery.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
good idea but when I turn off my phone and plug it in, the phone turns on automatically and logs on to windows mobile. So this trick would not work for me. I have installed a new andriod rom on my hd2 and it has improved my battery a lot. I am also using a battery application like tambo told me. Now I have a working cell for the whole day.
AZB