Irrigation Canal at Masacre River

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My uneducated opinion is that number is an enormous exaggeration. I would have a hard time believing it if it were DOP.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Now the Prime Minister is saying Haiti has a right to take water with the canal.

I don't think anyone can argue the right of either Haiti or the DR to take water from the river... There's already an agreement for that... But when there is a shared use resource, any major changes to the use of this resource should be commonly agreed upon by the parties involved. Especially when the origination of the resource is in the domain of one of those parties.

The problem, or perhaps one of the problems, is the poverty mindset that causes a desperate attempt to claim ownership of whatever is seen as being available to claim ownership of... Even to the point of resorting to criminality. I've heard of instances where people who were caught stealing something had a mindset of it being okay to steal because they were poor.

This makes you wonder about wealthy people who also think it's okay to steal.

Interesting phrase the prime minister used... "...take water...".

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Meanwhile, the cleaning of the Aduana canal continues:
F6t9K4LW0AAbKJ_

Reactions: MoJoInDR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I can't find the pic, but the canal is being built at an angle at a bend in the river such that a substantial part of the natural flow of the river will go right into the canal. That does appear to be what would be rightly called a 'diversion' of the river to me. If you've ever looked at a river, the fastest flow and highest volume of flow occurs at the outside of a bend in the river, which is where the canal inlet is located.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I can't find the pic, but the canal is being built at an angle at a bend in the river such that a substantial part of the natural flow of the river will go right into the canal. That does appear to be what would be rightly called a 'diversion' of the river to me. If you've ever looked at a river, the fastest flow and highest volume of flow occurs at the outside of a bend in the river, which is where the canal inlet is located.
Here you go:
1695559460662.png

Reactions: cavok

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I find it interesting that the Haitians can rally in large numbers around a cause they perceive to be created by the DR. If they could harness the same energy to solve some of the internal problems in the own country, it might be a better place.

I‘m sure Luis is getting some political satisfaction from the border closure. UN attention is focused on the border where it should be and Biden supports Luis’s efforts to resolve the problems.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
In which country in that case ?
both
I find it interesting that the Haitians can rally in large numbers around a cause they perceive to be created by the DR. If they could harness the same energy to solve some of the internal problems in the own country, it might be a better place.

I‘m sure Luis is getting some political satisfaction from the border closure. UN attention is focused on the border where it should be and Biden supports Luis’s efforts to resolve the problems.
Harnessing that energy could be done by the God of their religion.... wait maybe That God is the cause of their problems..............

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What is their intent to mass at the border? Has Luis called out the military as it seems that they are planning on breaking thru.
The DR military is already stationed all along the border. They have vehicles with 50 calibre guns at the canal site.

Reactions: johne

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The canal construction has been suspended.

Haitians stopped construction of the canal due to alleged diversion of materials and funds for it. Activists and workers of the canal that is being built to divert the Massacre River in Juana Méndez, are protesting against the committee responsible for the work." "The committee sent a moron to collect the cement for the construction of the canal and take them elsewhere through what the population is denouncing to the committee that is diverting funds and materials for the work. At the moment, the work is paralyzed amid great confusion among the participants. Source: World Alert

Reactions: cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The canal construction has been suspended.

Haitians stopped construction of the canal due to alleged diversion of materials and funds for it. Activists and workers of the canal that is being built to divert the Massacre River in Juana Méndez, are protesting against the committee responsible for the work." "The committee sent a moron to collect the cement for the construction of the canal and take them elsewhere through what the population is denouncing to the committee that is diverting funds and materials for the work. At the moment, the work is paralyzed amid great confusion among the participants. Source: World Alert

You can't make this sheet up. Incredible. However, it's a great excuse to stop work.