Issuing A Challenge To All Visiting The Dr

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Challenge

The list above from the Dream Project is the one that we had seen.

From this list my daughters and I are trying to get each child from each of thier classes to donate a pencil, eraser and a notebook.

This way we could donate 2 full class rooms with the items.

We have met with great response from the school and the students thus far, including the school issuing a letter which every student was presented with to take home.

It is good to see so many people respond, and read...and take action.

When we seen the site for the Dream project, on Debbies Travel...we thought to go with this orginization.

I did not know, for lack of asking actually, that there were so many different orginizations that require aide of some sort.

Ken....if you read this post, let me know if your orginization could use some of the same supplies, as we are travelling with another couple, and thier children, and I will see if they can do the same thing for you.

Thanks

Cheers
Jimmy

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Check out www.dominicandream.org They have some of my money and will continue to get it. Every Thanksgiving the Sosua Kids program gets my annual donation. You guys can make donations at Brittania Pub in Sosua. Ante up MK. Either send me a check or get on the Dominican Dream web site and send them some money. Everybody down here in Kenosha says you're one of the richest women in Milwaukee County.

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Just wondering if there is some where in the DR where these supplies could be purchased instead of bringing them over via luggage.

I certainly don't mind bringing some things when I travel, but if they can be purchased locally there certainly some distinct advantages.

First, these types of supplies can be bulky and add up to considerable weight so local aquisition would allow more items to be supplied. Second, the cost could be less in the DR so more could be bought and it would put some money back in the local economy.

Can someone please check on this and let me know?

Glow

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Nice reality check GlowWorm !!

Many items on the list fall into the category of "coal to Newcastle" - such as brooms, for example.

Many of them can't make it anyway, such as scissors.

When it comes to dictionaries, they should be electronic - for reverse search on atrocious verb forms (which aren't listed in typical dictionaries) and for pronunciation. I can personally testify that Dominican kids like to use them (even though it's often to play the built in video games, unfortunately).

If one really wants to help Dominican children, why not the direct approach - simply pick out a kid and help him?

Edited for a typo.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: items required

Miko said:
Here is the list rom the Dream Project.

- Spanish and Spanish-English dictionaries
- children's books in Spanish
- chalk
- blackboard erasers
- pencils
- pens
- pencil sharpeners
- erasers
- loose leaf paper
- blank Xerox paper
- notebooks
- crayons
- scissors (kid-size and teacher)
- glue
- staplers
- paper clips
- index cards
- flash cards
- calculators
- globes
- puzzles (pre-school level)
- legos
- blocks
- play-dough
- construction paper
- brooms
- dust pans
- waste baskets
- any office supplies
- any art supplies
- any cleaning supplies
- any sports equipment

I thought it needed repeating.
Kenosha Chris, thanks for the heads up! The check is in the mail. Ha Ha.
mk

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Actually, the first thing a Dominican kid needs for school is to be registered. It's not cheap, costing maybe 1500 pesos. Lots of kids don't go for that reason.

The second thing is a uniform. Again, the cost is steep (for them).

The third thing is a backpack. They're too self-conscious to go to school without one for all the other kids to see.

Fourth, they need 20 pesos or so a day for a snack at school when the other kids are having one. Even those who can stand the hunger pangs have trouble with the embarassment of going without while the other kids eat.

Of course, that's just for starters. Does he have shoes? Many of them don't even have a decent bed. How can they concentrate in school if they can't get a decent night's sleep?

Nothing else works as well as the direct approach, using the universal medium of exchange. (The purchase of needed items has to be supervised, of course, or the money will get diverted.)

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Andy - how do you sponsor a child there? Since we're there 4-5 times a year, I would want to buy/give the things for the child while down there. And as you said, to prevent money being diverted (I have no desire to sponsor a whole family - just a child)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
JanH,

The only way I know is to take the personal approach. While there, try to find a kid that obviously isn't going to school at all, and help him get started. It can be especially frustrating getting such a kid registered and started in school because the parents might resist it to cover up their neglect.

Of course if you can't find such a kid, choose another that needs help.

Go shopping with the kid, buying the items yourself.

You can then try giving say 1000 pesos to the kid in front of the parents, to be used gradually for snacks. He'll probably put it under the mattress. Some of the parents honor that, even if they have bad spending habits. After that, I suppose you'd have to trust the family.

I've sometimes remarked about lack of gratitude by Dominicans, but I have to say that some kids I have seen helped this way did definitely appreciate and remember it. Maybe it has something to do with formative years.

BTW, it's probably not too late for them to register for next semester.

Good luck.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Challenge

Andy

I am sure that this would be great to do also.

After reading your post, we have decided that we would like to take that avenue also, so if there are any posters reading this that know a reputable orginization that could assist, then please respond as I believe a there are many good people who would love to help.

Cheers
Jimmy

Miko

May 23, 2003
helping out

Jimmy,
As mentioned a number of times, the Dream Project can most likely help you with that (helping directly). I met Tricia a number of times and 93% of all funds received go directly to aid. The other 7% are in some salaries of the hired help and promotion cost. An outfit that mentions donation in kind and not only money is pretty serious and not looking, as some outfits in US/Canada to rob people out on a good cause.
I mentioned before our annnual donation by the Home Owners Association and Rental Pool Members. This was to give the idea out there for other DR1's on another easy way to help out. It's no big deal to give out when you have 20 owners chipping in.
:cool:

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Thanks Miko

Hey Miko.....
Thanks for the insight.

I sometimes forget what has already been mentioned, and I knew that the Dream Project is and can use the money also, I just thought that spreading it around may be a good idea, but in hindsight it seems only logical to keep it all in one area, in this case a well deserved area.
I have just received a package from Tricia today, and will be forwarding it to the school here.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
OK people, several options offered but the clear answer to my question is still missing!

Can I buy needed items in the DR (north coast) and who do I give them to? Scoobster, help.

Glow :confused:

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Hey Glow.....

I have found out, by really not paying attention sometimes, that the answers you seek may be right there in front of you...(by no means am I referring to you as not paying attention...just me...lol)

E mail Tricia, she runs the Dream Project, and I am more than sure that she could answer any and all questions regarding the DR and supplies.

Contact her @

Tricia@dominicandream.org

She has always responded quickly for me, even mailing a complete package of information to my home address for my childrens school.

I hope this helps you, and everyone else looking for some direction.

NOW............

Lets get some more people accepting the challenge!!!!!!!

I am sure that a few supplies, even a couple of items per person would be just as welcomed as a larger donation.

Cheers
Jimmy

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Scoobster

Oh wow, it does apply to me, I missed the Tricia address. Duh, like read all the words, don't scan. I'll make contact with Tricia prior to leaving and find out what items may not be available there so I can bring some of those. Thanks much:)

Ken, no pm yet, has your group met?

Glow

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
two more cents and I almost have a nickel

I love the energy felt on this thread, for sincere good.

The fact is, it is not every day that people come to DR1 looking to give of themselves for the good of others.

We often see, "where are the beaches? where are the jobs? where is paradise? and what about hookers? is my girlfriend/boyfriend a hooker? who is this great escott guy?"

It seems to me "How can I help?" would be a highly positive theme to promote. It brings people to the island. It connects them to real issues. It requires an initial reaction, and then action.

I wish it was EASIER for people with good intentions to find out about how to connect. Searches are easy, we always recommend searches to new people. Let's make it a step easier and make it a category on the board. Three clicks away: DR1>Message Board> Volunteering in the DR.

What say you, Webmaster?

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
No MatterThere are some there are many good people out there

CONGRATS to all who are getting into this.......a small step for you. a giant step for them...... Muchas Gracias from someone in the D.R.....every little bit helps.....Cheers M.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
News

I must totally agree.

In our case, we would always take items with us when we travelled...and this time, as I have said in past post's, it was my 11 year old daughter who started the question of, "what can we do Dad?"

Just trying to give where we can.

More news........

The couple that we are travelling with are also accepting the challenge...thier children are going to take it to thier school classes also. I wish them luck.

Cheers
Jimmy

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Try and give it personally if Poss..

Not always possibly, but if you can give the stuff etc.. direct to the school or the kids etc. etc.. you will see why you made the effort....when the whole class stands up and thanks you... Hey. thats something.. Cant do that in Canada...Stays with you forever.... Im down here... cant give like you can... Cheers. M.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Luggage weight

Just a thought here people.....

For those of you who have expressed concern with your luggage....

Just think of the notebooks, pencils and erasers you could bring to donate as Rum, Vodka, cigars or even momento's.......

I am sure that 95 % of you will be bringing something back, which will carry the same weight as what you could bring down.

Makes sence?!

Cheers
Jimmy