Issuing A Challenge To All Visiting The Dr

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Challenge.......

Food for thought............

If every Canadian that is going to be travelling to the DR in the next 3 months were to bring 1 pencil, 1 notepad and 1 eraser with them to donate to a school, just imagine the difference!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Project Damalbi

A job that we need done for project Damalbi, is to work on the website. This is in my list of responsibilities, but at the moment, we have just too much to do, and I'm not getting there.

If one of a few of the kids want to take on this project, I can oversee and do the background technical work...

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
What kind of Help?

Hey Chris.........
What kind of help do you need there?
I am unsure of your post.

Cheers
Jimmy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Setting up a simple website telling the story of Project Damalbi with appropriate pictures and good structure.

After that, we can possibly set up a credit card donation structure.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Hey Chris,,Set up an account with Paypal.com you can then accept credit cards, EChecks etc very easy to use and get started. Hope to see the site soon. C'Mon Rob..fix a section for the "Needy"..great place to get ideas, give ideas etc for those traveling who like to help out..:) PAM

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Pam......I agree

It has been mentioned here before with regards to a section devoted to those who wish to help, instead of posting what they think the girls will look like there......

It would be a welcomed forum.

Jimmy

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
:)

Hey Jimmy..You are a guy..(right LOL?)..Robert may listen to you..LOL I guess helping people when you come to "Their" country is not nearly as exciting as "Big Butts"...LOL I am still laughing at that one..Maybe Chris will get her site up and running and we can help her expand it to something like DR1 but for helping the "people of DR"...Would give me something Useful to do..Chris let me know If I can help in anyway. :) PAM

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Yes Pam...I am a guy!

If I was as good with the computer as I am with tools, then I would help with a webpage, but I am afriad that I suck when it comes to this.

Thats why I am trying to get some action here with donations to the children of the DR, as far as school supplies, as a promise to my daughters.

Hey Rob...dont know who you are...maybe you have posted to me....but a forum would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Jimmy

BeisbolPosse

Nov 21, 2003
Great idea!...and a question

First, thanx for starting this thread. Seeing the responses gives me hope for us "first worlders," especially after wading through some of the ugliness and hate spewed on the Yahoo message boards.

A group of us are coming down in February for the Serie del Caribe, and I'm going to encourage all of them to contribute some school supplies to this worthy effort. But I'm wondering.

Since becoming a member of DR1, I've been reading appalling stories about the conditions in DR hospitals, and the flooding in the north. Does anyone know of any way to make some contributions in those areas?

g.:cool:

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Thanks g.

Its responses like that that are need in plenty.

I am sure that someone more qualified than I can leave you the info you are asking for.

Hey....its December 1......early Merry HO HO to all....and remember while you are out getting that special something, for that special someone......why not include a receipt from an office supply store for school supplies, and tell that special someone that they just helped out some children this year!

Get into the season....and join the challenge!

Cheers
Jimmy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Great idea!...and a question

BeisbolPosse said:
Since becoming a member of DR1, I've been reading appalling stories about the conditions in DR hospitals, and the flooding in the north. Does anyone know of any way to make some contributions in those areas?

g.:cool:

The conditions in the flooded areas are truly appalling. People are without homes and without food. There are people that are handing out the basic necessities - mainly some of the bigger farms in the area. Anything for children, especially babies, will be received with thanks. Matresses, blankets, food of any kind and clothing will be welcome -- Basic medicines for fever or diarrhea would be helpful.

Any donations in the North Coast area could be handed to me. We travel to the area every week and will in turn hand over to the farms, Paso Robles and Rainbow to distribute to the local barrios. These farms are sending out trucks on a daily basis to hand out reject fruit. Even something as basic as fresh drinking water...

If you could make a donation, please send me an e-mail or pm on this forum. I will also start a thread on this subject specifically.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Just keeping it out there!

Posting to keep this atop the board.......

There are some great post in here, so if you are reading for the first time, check them out.

A lot of people could use some aid....and if you have a little extra to give, pass it on.

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Dont be hesitant

Hey, I know that there are a lot of you who will be travelling this coming season to the DR......

So why not join the challenge?

A little can go a long way!

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
No more good people?

It is sad to think that I am the only one right now responding to this post......but if it is what I must do to keep it afloat, till everyone has a chance to read it, then okay.

My daughters grade 4 class has donated 54 items to date, from packages of pencils and pens, to notebooks etc.

Its sad to think that a group of 9 year olds can out-do a group of travellers....who make more money in a week than the kids get allowance in a year!

Maybe that should be a little inspiration?!

Donate to the orginization of choice, but make an effort to do so, a little will go a long way I am sure.

Cheers
Jimmy

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Scoobster - After reading Chris' post, we'll contact her when there at end of December. Also, we're bringing down some of my son's school supplies left over from last year (backpack, calculator, etc.)

Jan and Doug

CLS

Dec 2, 2003
We are also going down to DR (Cabarete) in a week and a half and are planning on bringing a few suitcases full of materials to donate. We are trying to get some large stores to give us supplies for the Dream Project. The Dream Project is a tax exempt organization but does anyone know their US tax ID number? I'm not sure they'll have one given that they're based in the DR but it will make stores in the US more likely to donate.

Miko

May 23, 2003
you can get in touch with Tricia

CLS,
just use the web site address in the first posting to get in touch with Tricia at the Dream Project, she has bases in both the US and DR, might have that US tax number for U.
:cool: Miko

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Miko has it!

cls.....Jan and Doug........

Thanks for the posts....

Miko is right, as far ascontacting Tricia....you can e mail here at

tricia@dominicandream.org

Its good to see some more good people posting, and thanks to everyone who has read this, and will be donating silently!

Seasons Cheers
Jimmy