Jolly Roger only $399K in Sosua

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Maybe businesses need to raise prices to stay profitable, but then all the old farts on this board will complain how they won't pay 200 pesos for a beer ($4), since all they want is cheap, cheap, cheap...cheap booze, cheap food, cheap women, cheap accommodation. Maybe the cheapskates need to move on.

Someone who gets it .
The Cheap Charlies who think Sosua belongs to them, maybe they are the ones who need to move on .
Looks like you struck a cord already .
been saying this a while ... The 800K Condo Owners may not want to see the Spandex parade when they are DINING ..
But they also dont want to rub Elbows with Jimbo the Tool and Die Maker rom Cleveland , although he claims to be a "Vietnam Vet". in his Crocs and white Socks , trying to show off his Bachata moves when hes Lubed up ..
just probably does not make good Dinner Conversation with Todd and Bitsy , the Corporate Lawyer couple from Albany.
So maybe if they moved on , JR could actually be SOLD and a more HIP Upwardly mobile Crowd would Roll in and make the place actually Profitable .
it could happen.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Its very difficult to raise your prices when you have a pirate themed bar and cater to older men wearing bike week t-shirts Daytona beach 2005. I believe someone indicated this place had a "dart" night. Boy I bet that really packs in the high rollers. Now I am not in the restaurant business, however it seems to me on that stretch of road the business theme should be cute waitresses with short skirts and pleasant dispositions.
At lot of the new villa and condo buyers in local expat communities are not part of the muscle shirt chain smoking crowd, so if they go out for an evening to Sosua they go to Asian Fusion, Mangos, Pirate Bay, Dolce, Ostaria, Mangos, Stephens, Waterfront, Hispaniola, Margos, Nelsons, not the bars. Perhaps the demographic is changing, and the old guys don't like it.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
At lot of the new villa and condo buyers in local expat communities are not part of the muscle shirt chain smoking crowd, so if they go out for an evening to Sosua they go to Asian Fusion, Mangos, Pirate Bay, Dolce, Ostaria, Mangos, Stephens, Waterfront, Hispaniola, Margos, Nelsons, not the bars. Perhaps the demographic is changing, and the old guys don't like it.
Ah the avant-garde of the expat population

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey and XQT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The north coast has definitely changed. Far fewer tourists and more expats. Blame Punta Cana for fewer tourists and lower prices for condos/villas in the DR for the expats moving in. I suspect there are expats in Punta Cana as well, I just don't go there since the area has no appeal to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are a few people that think Sosua means a few blocks on Pedro Clisante, like where the Jolly Roger is.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Perhaps Expats in general are NOT the SOLUTION for Susua ...
VISITORS who come with Wads of Cash ( or debit card whatever) most definitely always ARE..
And they need to come by the Plane Load, need only stay a week , but they need to SPEND Money. every day
The Cruise Ships may have actually HURT the North Coast in this regard .. the Cruise Lines are pocketing 99% of that Money as we know and cautioning ( brainwashing) their Customers into thinking they are not safe outside the walls .
And many of those Cruisers may have already decided that ONE day is Enough in the DR , and now will never make the Jump to take a Plane down for a whole Week , or 3 weeks like the Europeans often do , to immerse themselves more in Dom Culture, learn to dance , or stay at the AI and stuff themselves, either way
How does all this relate to JR Sale... it most certainly does .. because one way the Math would work, and the other it does not .

And stop blaming Punta Cana..
Thats like blaming Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk because your Business is doing poorly . and they are doing it RIGHT
Your Numbers are down, DO something about it .

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps Expats in general are NOT the SOLUTION for Susua ...
VISITORS who come with Wads of Cash ( or debit card whatever) most definitely always ARE..
And they need to come by the Plane Load, need only stay a week , but they need to SPEND Money. every day
The Cruise Ships may have actually HURT the North Coast in this regard .. the Cruise Lines are pocketing 99% of that Money as we know and cautioning ( brainwashing) their Customers into thinking they are not safe outside the walls .
And many of those Cruisers may have already decided that ONE day is Enough in the DR , and now will never make the Jump to take a Plane down for a whole Week , or 3 weeks like the Europeans often do , to immerse themselves more in Dom Culture, learn to dance , or stay at the AI and stuff themselves, either way
How does all this relate to JR Sale... it most certainly does .. because one way the Math would work, and the other it does not .

And stop blaming Punta Cana..
Thats like blaming Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk because your Business is doing poorly . and they are doing it RIGHT
Your Numbers are down, DO something about it .
Punta Cana is what sucked tourism out of the north coast. I saw it happen over the years. Many new resorts in Punta Cana, many more flights to Punta Cana and far fewer flights leaving horrible connections to Puerto Plata, especially for Americans. So no, I will not stop putting this change where it belongs. There is nothing the north coast businesses could have done to stop this.

Tourism is not like selling other products on Amazon or Teslas. Once a new shiny place like Punta Cana happened, the tourists went there never to return to the north coast in numbers like before. Once again, nothing the people on the north coast could do about losing business to Punta Cana.

The cruise ships are one area which possibly cause more expats to relocate to the DR. If just one person per cruise finds the DR to be a place to retire to, that will add up over time. Just a guess as to one of many reasons why there are so many condo/villa projects popping up on the north coast, which had been almost dead to new housing since well before before the China Flu.

If you think tourists from outside the DR will be the solution to the north coast, then that ship has sailed, and the north coast is doomed. And yes that applies to what a "deal" the Jolly Roger or any other tourist attraction is. Once again, what happens on Pedro Clisante is not the "north coast".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So make a NEW SHINY PLACE .
Do we need a box of Crayons to explain this to people who never went to Business School ?
its not Punta Canas Fault that Sosua SUCKS ASS..

Sosua has one of the BEST Beaches , PERIOD.. Make it work ..
Clean it the F up ..

end of rant .

Good Luck to the Owners of Jolly Roger in their Sale ..
You are missing the point. Once a region loses its luster for tourism, the tourism does not return.
No amount of clean up on isle 3 is bringing tourism back in great numbers to the north coast.

By the way, they are working on Sosua Beach, in case you missed that.
For all that will be worth at the end of it. And Malibu beach bar is for sale, I don't
expect anyone will be paying Danny for that golden opportunity.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
The issue is that it's really expensive to operate a business in DR. These days you have to pay the ITBIS and the propina legal. The electricity is crazy expensive. Salaries have gone up a lot in the last year and it's hard to find people who really want to work and have good skills. Food costs are also way up on last year. My costs are up maybe 50% on last year, but my customers expect to pay the same as before. And on top of that you get zero help from the government, all that happens is that you get an endless stream of government agencies expecting you to fill in more and more forms and pay more and more taxes.

It's the same all over the whole of the DR. I was walking around the Colonial Zone with a friend last week looking at how many boarded up restaurants there are. Sad that so many people have invested hard earned cash into these businesses just to lose them a few months later. This is honestly a very very difficult place to run a hospitality business and I completely understand why anyone would want to give up. I do myself quite a lot of the time these days to be honest.
I agree.

The conde is a real gamble. The majority of the places that survive are American chains and those potato places. Tourists do not come like they used to. I remember in my early years here you could go any night to bars there and it was all foreigners. it's changed a lot. I also don't think many of them are doing business and restaurants of anything worth buying.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Someone who gets it .
The Cheap Charlies who think Sosua belongs to them, maybe they are the ones who need to move on .
Looks like you struck a cord already .
been saying this a while ... The 800K Condo Owners may not want to see the Spandex parade when they are DINING ..
But they also dont want to rub Elbows with Jimbo the Tool and Die Maker rom Cleveland , although he claims to be a "Vietnam Vet". in his Crocs and white Socks , trying to show off his Bachata moves when hes Lubed up ..
just probably does not make good Dinner Conversation with Todd and Bitsy , the Corporate Lawyer couple from Albany.
So maybe if they moved on , JR could actually be SOLD and a more HIP Upwardly mobile Crowd would Roll in and make the place actually Profitable .
it could happen.
I want a fern bar - remember those ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm sure a serious buyer will sit with the owners of Jolly Roger and see what makes sense.
While $399K seems like a moon shot, just maybe the last few years of profits support a price higher than we are surmising.
I suspect the owners have plans for retirement or maybe they have grown tired of the long hours a bar/restaurant requires.
Don't worry a buyer will come along - but it sure seems the wrong time of year to put it up for sale, since this is the slowest summer I have seen - maybe slower than Covid for much of the bars.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Out of curiosity, have any of you been to Siblings in Puerto Plata? I keep seeing posts about it on FB.
347423015_743045777826914_89885909208299817_n.jpg

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Danny sold his bar weeks ago.....

U sure about that, and the timeline ?

Perhaps this needs its own thread .
But , His last video he was inviting people to come by for 4th Of July... see his u tube Channel .
then 6 days ago someone posted that the place was SHUT DOWN that Morning , and Empty , so that would be on the 4th ?
Then Danny responded 4 days ago that there was some Drama, but hes getting it cleared up . ( his words )

so anything is possible

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Maybe businesses need to raise prices to stay profitable, but then all the old farts on this board will complain how they won't pay 200 pesos for a beer ($4), since all they want is cheap, cheap, cheap...cheap booze, cheap food, cheap women, cheap accommodation. Maybe the cheapskates need to move on.
Old farts on this site live and travel internationally.
They know international prices and service quality.

Many are too smart to overpay for sub standard quality and service.
Sosua is far away from any medium quality league.
One should not ridiculously overvalue oneself, know your place.

Even in Santiago and Santo Domingo there is a different league of quality, never mind comparing internationally.

The void in Sosua is the result of high prices, low value, poor atmosphere.
Even the natural wonder of the beach is downgraded, because of poor atmosphere substandard services.

Old farts voted with their feet, they went elsewhere.
All that is is is what you see around you.

Keep on raising prices, sell dreams 250-500K 1 mil.
40 $ burger, limp fries and a beer.
10$ beer they'll flock from US, EU CAN because???

In case you don't get it.
Profit is driven by the desire of people to spend their disposable income for something, they desire.

Separate people from their money.
You also do that by card payments/electronic payment, without extra charge in a secure transaction.
Make it easy to pay any way and provide superior service.
In Sosua, or much of the DR for that matter.
They have not clued into the modern world, afraid of paying bank fees for their terminal use.

Good luck with limp fries and pizza, or a crust on which you bite out your teeth.

Anyone purchasing a Bar/Restaurant has to look at existing conditions in the area, past sales revenues and ROI.
If all you get is existing inventory and the right to take over a lease, figure it out.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can get beer in a bar in the US for less that $4.
OK not in NYC, San Diego, Austin or SF but there are plenty of places where you can - but not in many places in DR, almost not in the Colmado.

Reactions: XQT