Jolly Roger only $399K in Sosua

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
I've been numerous times ...mostly with kids. It's a pleasant enough place with playgrounds. The problem is every 'restaurant' has their own menu , waiter, and finally cuenta. Definitely not fine dining, not for a relaxing dinner. But for what it is it's a fun place.
Looks like Chuck e Cheeze .. only thing missing is a Throne for the cumpleaños boy or Girl .

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey

Most people I see in Jolly Roger are not beach going regulars, most are locals who live around Sosua - and the owners know them by name. Many Canadians.

Not altering your Post ,,just want to comment on this part

THANK you For Confirming what we suspected ..

Maybe JR is Selling off the Business because they realize that this Demographic is just not going to pay the bills any more.

And they dont have the Heart to break it to their Dear Customers who they are on first Name basis with , by changing it up ..

let me make it painfully obvious , I dont see the JR Playing HIP HOP any time soon .
They picked their Target Market, and its just no longer working .
Sorry if I offended anyone with the Cheap Charlie term I used earlier , but it is what it is .
A bar needs people who come in to drop MONEY.. think Bottle Service.. Think Bachelor Party, Think Champagne for the Ladies, think Birthday Party.. think Groups of 10 walking in
not playing Trivial Pursuit and Nursing a Bottled water or one beer for 2 hours chit chatting

Personally I would not pursue the Hip Hop Crowd Either,, not my taste at all.

But facts dont lie
Blue ICE down the street is absolutely KILLING IT right now ...
why is that ? but their time may also end abruptly just like Bobby's time at Rumba Or Willie & Armando's D' Latin (that place was a gold mine)
.. this is the nature of SOSUA

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Big

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Back on the topic "Jolly Rogers selling price 400K". If he doesn't own the place, as people said the rent was 1400 $ a month, what is he selling worth 400K, furniture, food and beverage stocks? I don't get it…

By the way, there was a story in Sosua this week, a restaurant selling too, and dirty thing coming up on facebook…it appeared that the one who was selling did not own the place.

Reactions: windeguy

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I've been numerous times ...mostly with kids. It's a pleasant enough place with playgrounds. The problem is every 'restaurant' has their own menu , waiter, and finally cuenta. Definitely not fine dining, not for a relaxing dinner. But for what it is it's a fun place.
It's the similar food park concept that's been mainstream nationwide.
- Different shops, different menus, every order you make is a new check; separated
- Casual/informal outdoor dining
- Lots of noise, don't expect a tranquilo experience
- Bar is usually operated by the owner of the land/location. All restaurants pay rent to be on the foodpark.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I hear this a lot, but you have to compare (like we say in Belgium) apples with apples and pears with pears. Yes I can get a bear cheaper in a small little sh*t town in Belgium in the middle of nowhere, but you have to compare that price with the price of beer in a little town here. If I go to drink a beer on the beach in Belgium, I pay a lot more than when I buy a beer on the beach in Pop or Sosua. You want to live in a tourist place on the beach but you only want to pay the price of a small little town in the middle of nowhere..... Common....
And then everybody complains that most businesses close.
It's not that the P.P. Malecon is upscale tourism.
The few gringo casettas at the end of the malecon are wholes in the wall.
No bathroom people disappearing in the mangroves to pee, no beach.

There are some more civilized places further up with sea food and beach chairs, not cheap.
Also further up closer to San Felipe, Vista al Mar is ok.
Nothing compares to EU prices, food quality.
PP and Sosua merit only discounted prices, which they do not have.
Maybe the food park appeals to Americans or Dominican families with kids.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
But a beer is the same price in Moca or La Vega and they're nowhere near the beach, nor tourist towns
Bars get a break on buying beer - but I think not much on their bottled beer.

And yes a person can get still get a beer in a bar/restaurant near a beach, even in parts of California, for less that $4 per bottle and better beer. No not in SF, LA or San Diego but up North along the Jenner coastline or around Bodega Bay or Mendocino. You need a wet suit to go in the ocean of course and it might be a hike down to the beach - but it's scenic.

And fresh clam chowder to kill for.

Most people I see in Jolly Roger are not beach going regulars, most are locals who live around Sosua - and the owners know them by name. Many Canadians.

Beer even in supermarkets anywhere in DR is overpriced (even domestic). A 12-pack of Modelo Especial or PBR in a Florida chain supermarkets can be bought for $15.50 (occasionally $3 less on sale). Maybe it's expensive here because water is so scarce in DR?
In the US prices are a bargain low to mid end.
Great quality is also available.
EU has superior food quality great prices on food and drinks.
Even street "snack food" is of great quality.
Canada is very expensive.

Jolly Roger competes for tourists from those destinations, who know quality and prices.
Jolly's food is at best average and not always of consistent quality.
Nothing worse than a chewy bun for a sandwich.
Service can be efficient and friendly, or not.

I wish them luck selling and a pleasant retirement.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In the US prices are a bargain low to mid end.
Great quality is also available.
EU has superior food quality great prices on food and drinks.
Even street "snack food" is of great quality.
Canada is very expensive.

Jolly Roger competes for tourists from those destinations, who know quality and prices.
Jolly's food is at best average and not always of consistent quality.
Nothing worse than a chewy bun for a sandwich.
Service can be efficient and friendly, or not.

I wish them luck selling and a pleasant retirement.
I liked their food two years ago. It has gone downhill in my opinion, but that seems to a be a trend in Sosua. Maybe inflation has made restaurants cut back on quality ingredients.
Went to a place I go to twice a week the other night and ordered my usual Caprese salad only to get hard green tomatoes and watery mozzarella - I was bummed

Reactions: AlaPlaya and XQT

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
But a beer is the same price in Moca or La Vega and they're nowhere near the beach, nor tourist towns
Bars get a break on buying beer - but I think not much on their bottled beer.

And yes a person can get still get a beer in a bar/restaurant near a beach, even in parts of California, for less that $4 per bottle and better beer. No not in SF, LA or San Diego but up North along the Jenner coastline or around Bodega Bay or Mendocino. You need a wet suit to go in the ocean of course and it might be a hike down to the beach - but it's scenic.

And fresh clam chowder to kill for.

Beer even in supermarkets anywhere in DR is overpriced (even domestic). A 12-pack of Modelo Especial or PBR in a Florida chain supermarkets can be bought for $15.50 (occasionally $3 less on sale). Maybe it's expensive here because water is so scarce in DR?
Beer indeed is expensive here, and that is because there is no competition here. There is only 1 brewery here (AB Inbev) and they have almost everything (Presidente, Bohemia, Brahma, Corona, Modelo, Budweiser, Stella etc). So they can keep raising their prices. (They only competition they have is from United Brands, they sell Coors and Heineken etc, but their service and delivery is so bad, as a business you can't afford to only work with them, because a lot of times they don't show up)
But other drinks (like Cuba Libre, water, coca cola, etc) are cheap here, but still people want to have lower and lower prices.

Reactions: chico bill

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
It's not that the P.P. Malecon is upscale tourism.
The few gringo casettas at the end of the malecon are wholes in the wall.
No bathroom people disappearing in the mangroves to pee, no beach.

There are some more civilized places further up with sea food and beach chairs, not cheap.
Also further up closer to San Felipe, Vista al Mar is ok.
Nothing compares to EU prices, food quality.
PP and Sosua merit only discounted prices, which they do not have.
Maybe the food park appeals to Americans or Dominican families with kids.
I never said they were upscale tourism. (just like a lot of businesses on the beach in Belgium). But the fact is that 1) you pay for the view/place and 2) the rent is most of the times more expensive in those places than in the centre of a town. It is just like in an airport, I always hear people complain that a beer is expensive in a bar in an airport, but nobody thinks about the fact that those businesses pay a lot more rent than a place outside the airport.

Luckely in Puerto Plata the last few years business only went up, so here we can't really complain. Prices of the cassettas went up like hell, they are building new appartments etc everywhere, Dominicans that didn't have money to buy drinks in the cassettas before now have it thanks to the cruise ships. So we can't really complain

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Beer indeed is expensive here, and that is because there is no competition here. There is only 1 brewery here (AB Inbev) and they have almost everything (Presidente, Bohemia, Brahma, Corona, Modelo, Budweiser, Stella etc). So they can keep raising their prices. (They only competition they have is from United Brands, they sell Coors and Heineken etc, but their service and delivery is so bad, as a business you can't afford to only work with them, because a lot of times they don't show up)
But other drinks (like Cuba Libre, water, coca cola, etc) are cheap here, but still people want to have lower and lower prices.
I would say their beers are so bad, Coors and Heineken, that they provide no competition. I would rather drink pond water than Coors and you can keep that Heineken skunk beer as well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never said they were upscale tourism. (just like a lot of businesses on the beach in Belgium). But the fact is that 1) you pay for the view/place and 2) the rent is most of the times more expensive in those places than in the centre of a town. It is just like in an airport, I always hear people complain that a beer is expensive in a bar in an airport, but nobody thinks about the fact that those businesses pay a lot more rent than a place outside the airport.

Luckely in Puerto Plata the last few years business only went up, so here we can't really complain. Prices of the cassettas went up like hell, they are building new appartments etc everywhere, Dominicans that didn't have money to buy drinks in the cassettas before now have it thanks to the cruise ships. So we can't really complain
Did tourism in Puerto Plata city go up because of the cruise ships which are in town regularly with thousands of people or tourists staying in hotels in Playa Dorada, Airbnb's etc?

• Wow
Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Not altering your Post ,,just want to comment on this part

THANK you For Confirming what we suspected ..

Maybe JR is Selling off the Business because they realize that this Demographic is just not going to pay the bills any more.

And they dont have the Heart to break it to their Dear Customers who they are on first Name basis with , by changing it up ..

let me make it painfully obvious , I dont see the JR Playing HIP HOP any time soon .
They picked their Target Market, and its just no longer working .
Sorry if I offended anyone with the Cheap Charlie term I used earlier , but it is what it is .
A bar needs people who come in to drop MONEY.. think Bottle Service.. Think Bachelor Party, Think Champagne for the Ladies, think Birthday Party.. think Groups of 10 walking in
not playing Trivial Pursuit and Nursing a Bottled water or one beer for 2 hours chit chatting

Personally I would not pursue the Hip Hop Crowd Either,, not my taste at all.

But facts dont lie
Blue ICE down the street is absolutely KILLING IT right now ...
why is that ? but their time may also end abruptly just like Bobby's time at Rumba Or Willie & Armando's D' Latin (that place was a gold mine)
.. this is the nature of SOSUA
highly accurate post.

Reactions: CristoRey and jd426

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Correct. Currently on vacation.
Matteos is closed for vacation ?
I frequented the place when it was Britannia and service was spot on.

But I literally sat down at the bar in Matteos about a year ago and no one waited on me for 10+ minutes, despite two girls behind the bar, I left and have not gone back. Service is as important as the quality of food. and those expecting tips should think about it.
Jolly Roger does still have prompt service.

This could help walk-ins to JR

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

For business and services P.P. is the place to go, being the capital city.
We can only hope for further expansion and hopefully traffic control.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Did tourism in Puerto Plata city go up because of the cruise ships which are in town regularly with thousands of people or tourists staying in hotels in Playa Dorada, Airbnb's etc?
Thanks to the cruise ships yes. Most of them only go to some places (where the taxi drivers get money), some go to other places, but the main thing is that more people in pop now have money and they spend it in the other places. (like for example when I opened my bar 10 years ago, on Sunday Dominicans would sit on the other site of the road with beers that they bought in the colmadon, since the cruise ships, they still sit on the other site of the road, but they now come and buy beers with us, even when we are more expensive than a colmadon. And also I have a lot of clients that didn't have a lot of money before the cruise ships. They would come and drink a coffee or a soda, now some of them come and drink and eat and spend a lot more, just because they work with the cruise ships. So it is not so much from the tourists of the cruise ships themselfs, but more from people working with them.