Juan Dolio Beach Regeneration

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Mickey.....We're moving him tomorrow to Plaza de la Salud in SD.
Seems there's more than meets the eye going on so......more tests, more tests, more tests.......
Samantha....check out Steve G's pics.....the beach up to JD Public beach and in front of Don Pedro'S looks pretty much the same (except for the new break wall where Punta Garza used to be.....)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Once a week I walk the whole of Juan Dolio beach from Guavaberry beach club to either old Juan Dolio - Don Pedro bar, or even Guayacanes. THE NEW BEACH IS SLOWLY GOING!!! As a diving instructor who has worked around the world I know something about sand, coral, sea, tides and beaches. To make sand you need coral. There is no live coral near the beach in Juan Dolio. The reef that is nearest the beach is dead. Therefore the sea is washing the new sand out and no new sand is being made. Urgently they need to build an artifical reef or block in the sand!

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
It was programmed : up to 10 % of the sand has to go during the first few months , and every year the beach normally is losing about 5-10% more , basic maintenance is every 7-8 years - keep putting more sand. Unfortunately it has to happen ... Nature . There are some wave breaks in the most critical places in the new Juan Dolio beach : , , , , , , ... so my advise : enj;)y walking ( the whole of Juan Dolio beach from Guavaberry beach club to either old Juan Dolio... )and remember before it was not possible at all !!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Steve, don't get me wrong the new beach is fabulous and I love it. But with a bit of forethought it doesn't have to disappear in 8 years or so. In the Maldives where I lived and worked for 3 years, they have a big problem with not just the beach going but the whole island. They found that if they pased electric current through the reef then it grew much more quickly than normal. if the same happened here - encourage growth of the reef, by starting off with artificial reef, encourage growth, ban spear fishing close to the shore, then not only would you have a fab reef for snorkellers you would also have new sand to regenerate the beach and not haveto replace with sand from somewhere else.

matilda

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Also since the story goes that they ran out of sand before completing ALL of Juan Dolio beach (it stops at the old Punta Garza site) WHERE is the new sand going to come from???? if not generated naturally???

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Also since the story goes that they ran out of sand before completing ALL of Juan Dolio beach (it stops at the old Punta Garza site) WHERE is the new sand going to come from???? if not generated naturally???

from wherever it goes ..i.e., pump it back into place.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You have been to Florida before and you probably have been to a few beaches there, especially in Clearwater, FL (I think you said you have a family member who lives near Tampa?)

Wow, that's a wonderful and beautiful white sand beach. Down in Miami the sand is just as white, but the water looks much more inviting.

Where do you think every single grain of sand in most white sand beaches of Florida came from???

Think B-A-H-A-M-A-S!!!

I don't know where the DR got the sand for its beach regeneration in the Costa de Ambar and Costa Caribe areas, but a wild guess might point to the B-A-H-A-M-A-S!!!

-NALs

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know where the DR got the sand for its beach regeneration in the Costa de Ambar and Costa Caribe areas, but a wild guess might point to the B-A-H-A-M-A-S!!!

-NALs[/QUOTE]

Catalina Island, murdering millions of sea creatures - conch, sea cucumbers etc in the process.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com

The white sand in Juan Dolio beach is from Bayahibe ... one of the Catalina island area sand banks.. and the bank is going to be full back again in few months ( so is enough sand over there ) ... now they are planing to work on Guayacanes beach area ...(from where they stopped in public beach up to Guayacanes beach) and after in San Pedro , Boca Chica ...Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital , Cayenero in Saman?; La Caleta in La Romana; Najayo and Palenque, San Crist?bal and Barahona.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
looks like mother nature may not be responsibe in the disappearance of the new sand, ...

Los hoteleros de Juan Dolio hicieron un llamado al Secretario de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, Max Puig, para que ordene la detenci?n de ese crimen ecol?gico.
Los hoteleros del litoral tur?stico de Juan Dolio, en este de Santo Domingo denunciaron que personas desconocidos esta extrayendo la arena depositada en esa playa durante su regeneraci?n.

Manifestaron que informaron a la Policia Tur?stica, Politur, pero que sus incumbentes no hicieron nada.

Dijeron que el domingo fueron vistos decenas de camiones cargando arena de la Playa de Juan Dolio y que igual situaci?n se produjo el lunes, dia no laborable.

Roban arena de playa regenerada :: Ultimo Minuto :: La Plana Digital :: La Plana Digital :: El Periodico de Santo Domingo

..what's that Thomas Jefferson quote?

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... ..what's that Thomas Jefferson quote?

You have also noticed how the Founding Fathers have suddenly become politically incorrect in this day and age of laissez faire capitalism, free trade and globalization.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
but they have not become politically incorrect. ..I just disagree with Humanity having exclusivity to that which your Thomas Jefferson's quote proclaims.

P.S. My favorite version of the Bible is that of Thomas Jefferson, lol.

Itsu

Sep 16, 2004
Hi Steve G.
Do you have a pic with the view of the Capella beach after the regeneration?

Muchas gracias