Lambada's Non-Ripening Tomato

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Ph

Our problem here is the lack of organic substances and thus no worms...
We now use dried cow dung and mix it with the soil which helps a lot.
You should see my lettuce! (Red Salad Bowl / Red Oakleaf)

Janin

Last edited:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I heard that the Israeli have developed very good techniques for farming. Why doesn't the DR government invest in these successful farming techniques. I read a few weeks ago in dominicantimes.com that someone at the Scretaria de Agricultura said that the farmers need to resort to farming. Do you think my country could potentially grow good quality tomatoes and other fruits?

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
It's not the dark, insomuch as the gasses they release, that make them ripen faster.
Any fruit or veggie will ripen faster in an enclosure, but it may also make it rot.

Brown paper bag is the traditional favorite (we are still talking about ripening fruits? ha! :paranoid: ) The reason is that it keeps the ripening gases (ethylene) in the bag but allows humidity to escape preventing rot. As tomatoes ripen, they naturally release ethylene gas, which stimulates ripening. To slow ripening, sort out ripened fruits from green tomatoes each week. To speed up ripening, place green or partially ripe fruits in a bag or box with a ripe tomato. Perfect temp is 65 to 70f or an average of 20c.

Hope this helps.