looking for a car and driver for three months

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
becky, becky, becky...

let me explain something, and i will be polite here. the petrol is currently at 205 pesos per gallon. in a nice car (a safe jeepeta, air con) you may easily use a full tank a day traveling a long distance (say, POP to SD and back). so you are looking at even a 100 dollars a day for petrol alone with lots of driving. a vehicle using gas would be cheaper to run (about half?). i will not speak about the exploitation of the vehicle... food and lodging (when traveling) will be easily about 35 dollars a day (the cheapest motel, plato del dia, basic food items).

i hope this clears the matters for you. you can go cheap by renting a carro publico for a day, changing the drivers and cars as you move around the country. they have crappy cars, they run on gas and food/hotel is out since they will be local to the area. i expect they will charge at least 50 dollars a day, more if there is a lot of driving involved.

now, i was supposed to delete some responses but you folks kept it funny and on point so i will let it slide for now. if you have any other ideas for becky (like renting carro publico), post away.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Broke Dick

... ideas for becky (like renting carro publico)...

Good idea, dv8.

But isn't that a bit costly?
Remember, she is hoping for a broke(n) dick, for whatever the reason may be.... ;)

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People who get by on $5/day in this country don't own a car, maybe a donkey if they are really lucky.

Here is my proposal for you:

You rent the vehicle, pay the insurance and the fuel and any required vehicle maintenance costs and I'll drive you around for 30 days, provide my own food and sleeping arrangements for $125/day. If I am really careful with my expenses I just might be able to pull this off for a profit of $5/day or $0.21/hr.

Your expectation of finding everything you want for $28/day is unrealistic as you can't fill the vehicle up with gas for less then $30. A propane powered vehicle would be cheaper but I do not think finding a vehicle with such a modification will be easy from the established rental companies.

You are essentially asking someone to shuttle you around and spend more than you are prepared to pay for the pleasure. You need to rethink your plans and rethink the costs.

Fuel: assume $30 for a full tank. How many tanks of gas will be consumed in your 30 days?

Lodging, if you are paying $XX/night, factor in the same amount for your driver. They will not pitch a tent in a vacant lot after dropping you off at casa de lujo.

Food: Your driver doesn't need to eat filet mignon, but they won't eat rice/beans/salami for 30 days either. Figure 2/3 your daily food costs. 3 meals x 30 days = 90 meals. Even at $4/meal that's comes $360 for 30 days. Trust me you do not want to eat on a budget of that amount for 30 days, no one else will either.

Expenses. I assume you want your driver to shave, shower and smell nice enough to be in a vehicle with. They will need access to a shower, soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste etc. This requires a hotel room with plumbing. Such cannot be had here in a place that you would ever consider staying for anything less than $50/night and in a lot of locations even more. Assume your driver will be staying in their own room wherever you are staying at the same cost.

You are asking someone to go on a 30 days vacation with you but expect them to be able to do it on a budget that comes no where close to covering the expenses let along provide a profit to take home and buy the family their next meal. Additionally you are expecting someone to put significant wear & tear on their own vehicle in the process. If you get a driver who can't afford to repair their clutch plate should it fail, your journey is over.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
idea #2:
rent the car for the duration of your stay. choose as central location as possible so that you have a base. hire a driver for a month (300 dollars a month or so). whenever you want to stay in a different location, throw in 30 dollars a day for his food and lodgings, he will manage on that, trust.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I suggest you wait until you are fully recovered and can do your trip as originally planned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where is Ship Shape...

Driver and cook on staff.... like Richard Branson

or better..... Derf and Ship Shape.... drive, cook & entertain....
they'll even get you a residency permit.....

They'd be like Abbott and Costello -- Mutt & Jeff....

I will pay to see that roadshow......

Count me in for $5/day...

who Else ???

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I had planned to go last year but my business here in USA slid sideways, so had to put off my trip for a year.........then i planned on getting a MC and touring this year in November but tore my rotator cuff...........so nou I decided to get a car and driver............anybody knou someone that might be interested? Tour the country and I pay a set daily fee. Driver provides his oun gas, meals, lodging........

hiya as u are the receiver of services and u must have an idea?of $ a budget.........are we paying by the week etc or daily......

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to Buenos Aires. You can cover the whole city at 25 cents a pop with the Subway there.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
After reading several other posts I will have to revisit my original offer. Here is the new offer
375.00US per day
Minimum 15 days per month due on day 1 of every month 5625.00USD
NO Sankies. Ever
Music is 100% my choice
No whininig. Ever. If it starts on the road expect to be curbside with no refund.
Driving dusk till dawn only
No smoking or pets.
Drinking is still allowed.
Tips, bribes and tolls will be charged back with a 30% surcharge unless you want to pay them upfront.
Surcharge of 50.00 USD per person per day still applies so long as its not a sankie. See above rules about sankies and whining.
There will also be a surcharge for anything else you do that irritates me.

You may be asking why the prices have gone up. I figure that if you are as uninformed about this place as your post indicates you will soon be relieved of all your money. I might as well get my sharerof it to.

I look forward to our road trip and adventure together.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
OP : and why you gave up on your motorbike tours in the country ? I've been travelling like that 2 years ago for around 30 usd/ day., all included...
yeah yeah. I know, it is impossible blabla LOL.

if you looking for the driver with A CAR, I think that something like 50-70 us/ day IF you travel short distances MAY be possible. only for driving around. food, meals and hotels are not included long distances ? more...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OP : and why you gave up on your motorbike tours in the country ? I've been travelling like that 2 years ago for around 30 usd/ day., all included...
yeah yeah. I know, it is impossible blabla LOL.

if you looking for the driver with A CAR, I think that something like 50-70 us/ day IF you travel short distances MAY be possible. only for driving around. food, meals and hotels are not included long distances ? more...

Can you read?
The OP tore a rotator cuff.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
touring tips

do u have a route planned please share itinerery,,,route...;););););););););)so others might follow

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Considering the standard of living is so low and people get by on 5$/day, I was thinking hiring a local would not be a 10th of the price you quote. So you guys can only be silly and don't know of any broke dicks that would like to make a couple hundred bucks real easy?

You asked for a quote, I gave you one, you think a bloke dick has a car???? and if so do you think bloke dick wants to work for $5 a day????.......I asked a Dominican friend of mine who has a car and asked if he would work for that.....he laughed and said he would rather stay home than work for peanuts.....
I was going to give you a calculation of expenses, but what's the point.....
So good luck on your travels, I wouldn't take you for $500 a day even if you paid all expenses....

My thoughts not yours.........

beckybulasco

Apr 21, 2015
becky, becky, becky...

let me explain something, and i will be polite here. the petrol is currently at 205 pesos per gallon. in a nice car (a safe jeepeta, air con) you may easily use a full tank a day traveling a long distance (say, POP to SD and back). so you are looking at even a 100 dollars a day for petrol alone with lots of driving. a vehicle using gas would be cheaper to run (about half?). i will not speak about the exploitation of the vehicle... food and lodging (when traveling) will be easily about 35 dollars a day (the cheapest motel, plato del dia, basic food items).

i hope this clears the matters for you. you can go cheap by renting a carro publico for a day, changing the drivers and cars as you move around the country. they have crappy cars, they run on gas and food/hotel is out since they will be local to the area. i expect they will charge at least 50 dollars a day, more if there is a lot of driving involved.

now, i was supposed to delete some responses but you folks kept it funny and on point so i will let it slide for now. if you have any other ideas for becky (like renting carro publico), post away.

Thank you DV8.....I can see that my ignorance of the country isn't helping me much. I hope I haven't wasted everyone's time and if a laugh at my benefit was had, that shall even things up a bit. Car and driver seems out of my reach..................ok.......My rotator cuff is a double tear........one muscle, the largest one; has completely torn free, the other is a partial tear...my doctor tells me it is quite serious and to forget Motorcycles for a long time...my dream is to tour the island for a few months, independently.I don't like arguing with taxi drivers......some places you just have to have your own transport to get there.....so, i throw myself on the forums mercy, what should i do? I'm so sad, I have planned this trip for 3 years now.
I will add that I could afford 2500 usd to purchase a used car. My injury would not preclude driving a car. Could I swing that? Sell the car when the trip is over? Please advise.................becky

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Thank you DV8.....I can see that my ignorance of the country isn't helping me much. I hope I haven't wasted everyone's time and if a laugh at my benefit was had, that shall even things up a bit. Car and driver seems out of my reach..................ok.......My rotator cuff is a double tear........one muscle, the largest one; has completely torn free, the other is a partial tear...my doctor tells me it is quite serious and to forget Motorcycles for a long time...my dream is to tour the island for a few months, independently.I don't like arguing with taxi drivers......some places you just have to have your own transport to get there.....so, i throw myself on the forums mercy, what should i do? I'm so sad, I have planned this trip for 3 years now.
I will add that I could afford 2500 usd to purchase a used car. My injury would not preclude driving a car. Could I swing that? Sell the car when the trip is over? Please advise.................becky

Instead of buying a car, you would be better renting one, its tough to sell a vehicle if you are short on time....or you will take a good lose on the original price....rent with full insurance, and you can do what you had planned....
Also for 2500 your car wouldn't be in all that great of shape so that's why I suggested you rent.....