looking for a car and driver for three months

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If you are going to take a driver with you, you need to feed and house him and probably better to pay gas. He will just charge you labor and use of the car.

I have known a taxi guy for five years and he would do this. Speaks good enough English.
PM me if interested.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
JD can certainly correct me if he wants, but I think he was being sarcastic.

Any 24 year old car in DR has likely been driven to death, and will either be in need of serious repairs (or just need to be outright rebuilt) for the sort of trip you have in mind.

I'd be very, very careful here. The last thing you want is unreliable transportation requiring parts that, because of the vintage of the car, may have to be sourced from bigger cities.

Seriously, consider public transportation. The buses will get you to the bigger towns, the smaller vans go to or through every populated area on the island. You can then hire a car, or get around with motos. It's safer and more reliable, far cheaper, will eliminate the chances of you getting lost and broken down on some lonely road, and will give you a truly authentic experience.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Please buy it.

That is exactly the car I'm looking for...............thanks mister.............see there you nay sayers! No problemo......an no, driver necessary as the girl going along drove a tractor on her daddy's farm for many years..............lol

You are very entertaining.... :laugh:
Very few locos would touch that car here.
Until you come..... :paranoid:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know what do you mean by "nay sayers". there are plenty of cars on supercarros to be had at 3k or less. whether they will drive and for how long is another story altogether.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't tell her that puerto rico and dominican republic is not the same place, ok? she may be fun to mock.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Import duties..... etc.

Becky, common knowledge here that cars' values are 50% higher than US/Canada

So search around fro $2,000 cars to get a feel for what you're doing.

The Clampetts had a nice one for sale.

As for tractors (used).... rare as hens' teeth as we say back on the farm

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whoops! maybe you old coots do know something...........share it dammit! hook me up with some wheels

as i said before: Listado de Carros en venta en la Rep?blica Dominicana - SuperCarros.com

ignore all cars above the VW, obviously the dimwits posting the ads made a mistake and put pesos instead of dollars. as for the rest, this is what you can get here. you will have to pay the transfer and other taxes on the top of the price. i would suggest listing it for sale immediately so that you have a chance to find a seller before you leave.

i still think buying a car for such a short trip is a mistake but it's your life to mess it up.

Rent a car and take public transportation. You don't even want to know the problems you will have from a $3000 car here.

Public transport can be fun and very interesting here and I NEVER took public transport where I came from.

If you do decide to buy a $3000 car here for your 5 month trip PLEASE write a book about what happened!!!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you people bother? Becky is not going to listen to you old coots. :laugh: She will have to live and learn the hard way on her own.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
rent a gringo w/car....take him w/you pay the old fashioned way....cash (ha) hi min (im in)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Beecky - listen.. this country has an AMAZING bus system - and really - you do not want to DRIVE around it for three months. I have been here for the better part of 10 years and have seen most of the country - and traveled most of it as a single woman- alone.. without a car. What you need to be able to do is ride on the back of a motorcycle? Can you do that?

Because - that is the best transport from the bus station to the best hotel in town. You take the bus from the Capital - from the Aparthotel -- like Guesthouse Esmeralda - which you have as your base - where they keep your suitcase for you between trips.. and they are Dutch so all your stuff will actually be there when you get back ..

put what you need for a three day trip in a back pack.. get on the bus at Caribe Tours - for $5 -

then for 25 or 50 pesos you hop on the back of a motochonco

go to Puerto Plata and check it out.. then on to Cabarete via gua gua .. for a week or so
back to Capital
Down to Pedernales
back to Capital

buses here are great .. amazing fun .. both big buses and little buses.. very clean very safe very cheap..

most towns are not much.. some places are amazing
lots of folks have never been to San Juan de Maguana and I feel sorry for them
they have never seen Matas de Farfan and they have missed out

but you, Becky, you

with that $3000 and three months

you can see it ALL!!!

and those moto concho drivers are real hotties! let THEM do the driving