looking for a car and driver for three months

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
oh puleese .. she will be an illegal driver -- with an illegal license .. and the first accident will land her in jail and she will be deported

do not buy a car here

you cannot drive here on a foreign license legally after your tourist card expires after the first 30 days

beckybulasco

Apr 21, 2015
Beecky - listen.. this country has an AMAZING bus system - and really - you do not want to DRIVE around it for three months. I have been here for the better part of 10 years and have seen most of the country - and traveled most of it as a single woman- alone.. without a car. What you need to be able to do is ride on the back of a motorcycle? Can you do that?

Because - that is the best transport from the bus station to the best hotel in town. You take the bus from the Capital - from the Aparthotel -- like Guesthouse Esmeralda - which you have as your base - where they keep your suitcase for you between trips.. and they are Dutch so all your stuff will actually be there when you get back ..

put what you need for a three day trip in a back pack.. get on the bus at Caribe Tours - for $5 -

then for 25 or 50 pesos you hop on the back of a motochonco

go to Puerto Plata and check it out.. then on to Cabarete via gua gua .. for a week or so
back to Capital
Down to Pedernales
back to Capital

buses here are great .. amazing fun .. both big buses and little buses.. very clean very safe very cheap..

most towns are not much.. some places are amazing
lots of folks have never been to San Juan de Maguana and I feel sorry for them
they have never seen Matas de Farfan and they have missed out

but you, Becky, you

with that $3000 and three months

you can see it ALL!!!

and those moto concho drivers are real hotties! let THEM do the driving

UNCLE! Ok thanks Annie, yours seems to be the definitive answer.........forget the dam car, I'll take the bus...........gezzzzzzzzzz

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
get the Lonely Planet guide.. - you can pretty much forget Punta Cana unless you want a few days at an all inclusive to just hang out -

but do not miss --
Pedernales and the Bahia de los Aguiles
San Juan de Maguana -- which is a bit in the mountains and quite beautiful
Jarabacoa
San Jose de Ocoa - also perched a bit in the mountains and off the beaten track
Monte Christi - which has the best fish -
Ok Cabarete -- great wind surfing and smooth beach and awesome kite surfing
Las Terrenas - for great French food and a peculiar little expat enclave
Samana - if you are here between January and March when the whales are in
Boca Chica - if you are in the Capital - to go eat Johnny Cake and fried fish at the beach-
Guayacanes - also out from the Capital - will be an adventure to get the bus to Juan Dolio to there but it is maybe the best beach on the island..

except perhaps for some in Samana
Las Galeras - way on the tip of Samana - for a huge gettaway

Cotui - because it is beautiful - and no tourist goes there - and I am not even sure that you will find a room
Bani - to the sand dunes- a beautiful city - and also a challenge to arrive there

there is a town around Santiago called Los Montones which friends rave about but I have never seen.. but Mao is supposed to be lovely as well and with a good hotel.

Most of these places will have a decent hotel - do not expect a lot - but figure now around $40 to $50 as one poster said.

If you travel around a bit at first, you will probably find a place where you want to perch for a few weeks.

There is no where in the country which is more than 5 hours away from the Capital - and sometimes the easiest thing to do is just return to SD and start out for somewhere else.

Bon Voyage!

(always carry both your passport - and a photo copy of it somewhere else in case you lose it. Always carry a pack of tissue since toilet paper in public bathrooms is rare. Always carry hand sanitizer and a water bottle. You can save yourself probably $100 by asking for "agua de la casa" - in a homestyle restuarant - which they will give you in a pitcher from their own 5 gallon bottle - rather than selling you the individual bottles - and ask them to fill your water bottle for you.)

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
don't tell her that puerto rico and dominican republic is not the same place, ok? she may be fun to mock.

I am sure that she is planning on driving over that new bridge that they just completed from San Juan to Punta Cana.