looking for a car and driver for three months

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok becky. 2.5 k dollars is not much. here are some examples of what you can buy for this money: Listado de Carros en venta en la Rep?blica Dominicana - SuperCarros.com
to buy is easy, selling will be a hard part. you may consider renting, someone here can help you with a quote. driving in DR may be a bit of a problem too, even some of the residents don't like to drive.

my best advice would be to reach motocaribe. maybe they can help you contact someone who is looking for a travel partner for such trip, with you as a passenger?

otherwise, if you are capable, do the trip using local transport (flat rates, no haggling). stay in whatever area you fancy for a week or two, do local excursions or hire a guide or just relax.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Becky's Best Bet

...my dream is to tour the island for a few months, independently. what should i do? I'm so sad, I have planned this trip for 3 years now.

What was your plan?
An itinerary (circular tour) moving daily?
Forget that, you can't.

Your best bet is, to travel to the places you like (you must have identified them already during your 3-year planning) by public transport. Stay in each place for a few days, longer if it was a good choice.
Thus you might stay within your budget and still see a lot.

Vaya con los dioses del caribe!

donP

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Instead of buying a car, you would be better renting one, its tough to sell a vehicle if you are short on time....or you will take a good lose on the original price....rent with full insurance, and you can do what you had planned....
Also for 2500 your car wouldn't be in all that great of shape so that's why I suggested you rent.....

First you insult the girl, then you continue to try and help her, BARCELO for breakfast???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ok becky. 2.5 k dollars is not much. here are some examples of what you can buy for this money: Listado de Carros en venta en la Rep?blica Dominicana - SuperCarros.com
to buy is easy, selling will be a hard part. you may consider renting, someone here can help you with a quote. driving in DR may be a bit of a problem too, even some of the residents don't like to drive.

my best advice would be to reach motocaribe. maybe they can help you contact someone who is looking for a travel partner for such trip, with you as a passenger?

otherwise, if you are capable, do the trip using local transport (flat rates, no haggling). stay in whatever area you fancy for a week or two, do local excursions or hire a guide or just relax.

Genius D.
they take 'back seat drivers' on those tours.... non drivers.

Call them.......... they will be at your beck(y) and call

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
First you insult the girl, then you continue to try and help her, BARCELO for breakfast???

What????.... you jealous???? or you can't afford Barcelo...., go get yourself some clarin, you know what that is....cheap like your insults.......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What????.... you jealous???? or you can't afford Barcelo...., go get yourself some clarin, you know what that is....cheap like your insults.......

I do not drink fellow, would gladly buy you my old fave a "Beavis", next visit, I used to indulge in Anejo.

beckybulasco

Apr 21, 2015
My conundrum has been solved! Met a lady that wants to come with me to DR! Her and I are going to throw in on a car and drive around the island.............sooooooooo..................who has a car/suv for sale?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you have any idea how much dependable cars cost in DR?? And you're going to sell it in three months??? SMH

You're better off asking if anyone on DR1 wants to rent you a car for 3 months. Or rent one from a company, be sure to get full insurance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree, AE. those posts do not look like written by someone who has been "planning" a trip to DR for years. maybe "daydreaming" about a trip to DR would be more truthful. she has a lot to learn and asking questions is the first step. i am sure she can adjust her plans accordingly as she finds out more.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Better Not

.... if anyone on DR1 wants to rent you a car for 3 months.

To a female driver, who may not have any driving experience in the Dominican Republic?
Ni loco. :cheeky:

carthroughroof_zpswr7qrgaa.jpg

donP

beckybulasco

Apr 21, 2015
becky, can you be more precise? what is your budget, at least?

we can afford to spend 3000 usd on a car.....i saw many for that price on the "autos for sale" site that other posted here............so i guess problem solved..........uhhh.....anyone out there want to rent us a car? And likely we staying in DR for 5 months......thanks........becky

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Honestly, Becky, you've gotten really good advice so far, particularly from William Webster and dv8. My advice would be to take public transportation to the main areas you want to travel, and at that point either rent a car for a few days, or hire a driver. That option is much less expensive, and far safer, particularly if you don't know your way around the island. The reality is, when you get there, you'll likely spend several days or weeks and one location. As a result, you won't get maximum value out of any cars for renting long term, or purchasing. And as has been said more than one time in this thread, $3,000 will not buy you much of anything in terms of a dependable car in the Dominican Republic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure if anyone mentioned that a driver's license is valid for the length of a tourist card (30 days now and maybe longer in the future) and you will also need insurance, which may or may not work if your license is no longer valid.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Chatarra

we can afford to spend 3000 usd on a car.....i saw many for that price on the "autos for sale" site that other posted here............so i guess problem solved.........

One solved, and many more to come.

A 3k car won't be very reliable.
Buying a car means to pay a lawyer (contract), do the traspaso, including the plan piloto and pay insurance and - of course - selling the vehicle once you leave...
IMO, it's not worth it.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also think it's not worth it. your legs are fine, you can walk around. travel in guaguas and buses. stay few days or weeks in one place. if you need a driver for a day or two hire one of the local carros publicos. when the cost is shared it will be cheap. DR is not a country for road trips. you cannot drive for days, it's a relatively small island.