Many Haitians Oppose International Intervention

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The question about allowing Haiti to do something internally appears to be in the process of being answered at this very moment.
Posts 8 and 16 above, action is under way.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
  • Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
The question about allowing Haiti to do something internally appears to be in the process of being answered at this very moment.
Posts 8 and 16 above, action is under way.
From the inside? Please elaborate
I've seen those posts, 8 &16 and they offer nothing new about internal control or candidates and per the OP apparently, that's not what Haiti wants.

Shouldn't the UN be required to butt out until and unless a formal Haitian Gov't or legal representative requests their offered aid?

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"The United States has drafted a United Nations Security Council resolution that will encourage the "immediate deployment of a multinational rapid action force" to Haiti to address the nation's worst security and health crisis in decades, according to a copy of the resolution obtained by McClatchy and the Miami Herald."

Please note key word from post 8: Drafted is not passed. Drafted is not action.

"It is still unclear whether China or Russia, two permanent members of the Security Council, will support the resolution. China has been critical in recent months of the international community's approach to Haiti and has called for a stronger arms embargo on the Caribbean nation."

Reference is made to #1.
✅♟️

TOO LATE FOR WHAT ❓

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is unlikely there will ever be actual elected Haitian officials forthcoming, so Canada and the US appear to be stepping in at the moment with just a request by an unelected un-official.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"The United States has drafted a United Nations Security Council resolution that will encourage the "immediate deployment of a multinational rapid action force" to Haiti to address the nation's worst security and health crisis in decades, according to a copy of the resolution obtained by McClatchy and the Miami Herald."

Please note key word from post 8: Drafted is not passed. Drafted is not action.

"It is still unclear whether China or Russia, two permanent members of the Security Council, will support the resolution. China has been critical in recent months of the international community's approach to Haiti and has called for a stronger arms embargo on the Caribbean nation."

Reference is made to #1.
✅♟️

TOO LATE FOR WHAT ❓

This week, the U.S sent an elite disaster assistance response team to Port-au-Prince, deployed a major Coast Guard vessel to patrol the Haitian coast and issued visa restrictions on prominent Haitians involved in the violence.

On Saturday, flights from both Canada and the U.S. are expected to land in at the Port-au-Prince airport carrying critical security assistance, including armed vehicles ordered by the Haitian police, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Drafts to the UN? LOL, The UN is useless.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This week, the U.S sent an elite disaster assistance response team to Port-au-Prince, deployed a major Coast Guard vessel to patrol the Haitian coast and issued visa restrictions on prominent Haitians involved in the violence.

On Saturday, flights from both Canada and the U.S. are expected to land in at the Port-au-Prince airport carrying critical security assistance, including armed vehicles ordered by the Haitian police, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Drafts to the UN? LOL, The UN is useless.
The Canadian ones arrived early this am (12:30ish). They are new armored vehicles so if they maintain them they should last awhile.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Force is a necessary part of any solution​

"The failure of Haiti's state is likely imminent," says Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) in The Hill. The country faces a humanitarian crisis and a political disaster, it's true, but sending medical aid and helping to organize elections won't fix anything. "The gangs are the root cause and have increasingly grown in power since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse a year ago. They have now virtually seized Port-au-Prince, most recently blockading the entrance to the Varreux fuel terminal." The apparel industry, Haiti's largest formal-sector employer, "has shuttered factories and faced great operating difficulties due to insecurity." The violence is disrupting food shipments.

"The solution, though not simple, is manageable," Cassidy continued. The United States should respond to the prime minister's request for security assistance by getting the Organization of American States to field "a multilateral force to maintain order in Haiti." Chile and Brazil have experience in Haiti and could pitch in. "The United States, while not sending troops, would support with training, logistics, and funding repurposed from USAID and State Department aid programs in Haiti rendered ineffective in large part due to the environment on the ground." The security forces could secure "critical infrastructure such as the ports, the industrial sector, the electric grid, and the government offices." Once "a semblance of peace has been restored," Cassidy envisions, Haitian leaders could "resume seeking a solution to the political impasse which is exacerbating the security and humanitarian crisis."

Manageable? That is laughable. Bill Cassidy is delusional.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am in complete agreement.
Overwhelming force.
The kind of force that "leaves them dead in the street. Mouth full of blood and a soul full of heat". ‼️
On this we would be in agreement.
At the end of that, however, there would be no real difference.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
On this we would be in agreement.
At the end of that, however, there would be no real difference.
Most likely the reason why there would be no difference is because fighting is easy.
Nation building is hard and expensive.
It requires construction, commitment and positivity.
It is looked down upon in the current world environment.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
More thoughts on intervention:

I really hate to see people I care about suffer like they are. I can help some but not near enough. I am coming to agree with the respondents in this article. Haiti has to do it themselves. They did it once 218 years ago. They can do it again. They do need a strong leader and I don't trust Aristide. I pray and hope someone emerges who is above corruption and can meet the challenges they face.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I really hate to see people I care about suffer like they are. I can help some but not near enough. I am coming to agree with the respondents in this article. Haiti has to do it themselves. They did it once 218 years ago. They can do it again. They do need a strong leader and I don't trust Aristide. I pray and hope someone emerges who is above corruption and can meet the challenges they face.
I am in complete agreement.
It is going to require that individuals fight and die in pursuit of their own freedom.
My hope is that when the battle is over and someone is in charge again that the people respect...
The world respects the choice that Haiti has made and welcomes them into the international community.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The worst part of all the chaos is there are a lot of innocent people that become collateral damage. The Haitian people somehow have to stand up to the gangs and corrupt government without giving up hope. If history has taught us one thing, it's any puppet government that is put in place will be just as bad as the one that just got thrown out.
Until the Haitian people hit the bottom and want change its just gonna get worse. They really have to figure out what they want and start organizing it.