Men in shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip00

everyone will know you're a tourist, but chances are, you can dress as "Dominican" as you want and everyone will still know you're a tourist.

They might think that but they won't be for sure until they hear you talk. There are quite a few second generation "gringo dominicanos" on the north coast and there is a significant fair skinned blue eyes population in Santiago and Moca.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
they won't be for sure until they hear you talk.

That is precisely why I choose to hang out in shorts & flip-flops... I really look like a gringo, but I also really look like a gringo with long pants, dress-shoes and a long-sleeve shirt... However, I speak fluent Spanish, and "almost" fluent cibae?os ;)

I'm an American. I live in upstate NY, so I have been through the looooong winter just like the posters from Chicago and Colorado. I also live in the DR and my 2 cents on this topic is:

1. I respect Hillbilly's opinion 100% and others would be wise to do the same.

2. When I am in my apartment in San Pedro de Macoris, I am barefoot with shorts and a cut off T shirt, but when I step out of the apartment, I always wear long pants - no exceptions. I use the same rule when I visit friends in Santo Domingo - shorts around the house, but other than that - no.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Chip, I agree...and I usually wear long pants...even during the day...if Im doing any kind of business, but when Im just kickin it in Cabarete, Sosua, Playa Dorada, etc...I wear shorts if it's hot. This isn't Colombia or Brazil where you have to worry about being kidnapped if identified as a tourist...

There's no reason the average tourist here should worry about what they're wearing if they're strolling around a tourist or beach area. If they're gonna get jacked for a few extra pesos by trinket sellers or taxi drivers, it's gonna happen no matter the length of their pants, and most people I know who are on vacation aren't worried anout that. If shorts are more comfortable to you when it's hot, wear shorts... there's no reason to try to pretend you're a local...just....dont....wear...black...socks... with sandals...and save the speedos for sunning on your private balcony!

In Cabarete, most ex-pats I know, whether theyre surfers or millionaires with mansions in Sea Horse Ranch wear shorts day and night...

It is, however a different story, as mentioned above in Santiago and Santa Domingo, particularly in the evening and at the Historical and Religious sites...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why not wear long white or bage khakis?

Most people don't realize it, but you will actually remain much more cool with light color long pants and a light color short sleeve polo shirt or even a guayabera.

Most of it is psychological, when you stop putting attention to the fact that you are wearing long pants in a warm place, you realize that the long pants no longer bother you or make you uncomfortable.

Add a panama hat and you're set to go, will be comfortable and your body will be relatively cool without disregarding local customs.

-NALs

C

Chip00

What about women? What rules apply there?

For Dominicans some may say that only maybe "loose girls" use them but this is no longer becoming the case as many young girls in their early teens and older are wearing shorts out in public now. It is by no means common practice in my opinion to go downtown shopping in such attire but in the barrios it is seen frequently enough. If a girl does go shopping downtown in shorts she might get a few stares but if she goes out at night that is a different story alltogether - I don't think it is well received.

For gringas it doesn't matter as Domincans know they dress differently.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
will you have glissening hairy limbs, a huge belly, and a hawaiian shirt oh and a straw hat? hahahahahahahahah

let us know how it turns out, enjoy the island!!!

I have three of the four you guess which one I'm missing. By the way where's a good place to buy a straw hat?

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I'm a woman. When I'm visiting, I wear shorts in the day by the beach or for lounging. If I'm planning on meeting someone for a meal or visiting someone's home or a church, going to the bank or visiting an office, shopping etc, I wear long pants. I would wear long pants anyway for the evening no matter what the custom is, because I'll get eaten alive by mosquitos.

I'm from Canada and I hate the cold too, but I'll wear loose capris over a pair of shorts when I'm away from the beach.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A growing number of Dominican men of all classes and ages wear shorts in their leisure time, even in the city and beyond their front doorsteps.

I get the impression Santiago is more conservative than Santo Domingo, but believe me, if you go to any of the upscale malls or supermarkets there will be a few Dominicans in shorts, male and female, especially on Saturdays and Sundays.

I agree that for going out and about in town - business meetings, offices, banks, etc - it is not appropriate, and in any case, most of those places are so highly air-conditioned you're better off with a little less exposed flesh!

Having said that I was in a nice cafe in Piantini this afternoon and noticed a young Dominican woman wearing a pair of shorts - she looked extremely chic. It really depends. A slob will look like a slob no matter what s/he wears!

ron-anejo

Dec 17, 2006
we know!!!

Here in Canada we can tell you are French Canadian if:
On a hot day we see an older man wearing shorts and WOOL SOCKS AND SANDALS!!! HA HA ( that should get some replys)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funny, that. Whenever I've seen the shorts/socks/sandals combo the offender is either a Brit or a German. :D

And white towelling sports socks with leather shoes? Even otherwise well-dressed Dominicans are known to commit this faux pas.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
A growing number of Dominican men of all classes and ages wear shorts in their leisure time, even in the city and beyond their front doorsteps.

When I first started travelling to latin America, only foriegn men wore shorts in public but in South America it has become increasingly common, especially among wealthier folks. Argentinian men, especial, have mastered the art of dressing down.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I tease my co-worker. She's from Santiago. No matter what temperture, weather condition, hail, sleet, slush, she wears her sandals-- which I refer to them as her "chancletas" .

Last week NYC had a snow storm and what did she wear-- her chancletas. I told her that I was going to steal them when she changed and wrap them in plastic bags to make them ----All terrain chancletas --- but unfortunately she wore her boots that day and I couldn't!!:(

She does not wear black socks with her chancletas nor shorts for that matter. :)

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
In Santiago you can now get fined for inapropriate dress,shorts-100 pesos,if your stomach flops out over the top of your shorts-200,If you give any hint of a plumbers smile when you bend over you might go to jail,jesus boots with black socks-go directly to jail,and community service(talking to sankys about the virtues of hard work) panama hats,you would never wear one at home why wear one here-it depends! with one or all if the above you could be shot.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As the self proclaimed General of the fashion police I will weigh in on this discussion.

Men - if you are a tourist - no matter what you wear we know you are a tourist. Daytime - shorts are acceptable in almost any casual setting. Does not apply to church, museums and some attractions. Night - shorts are not acceptable off the resort except in the MOST casual settings - ie beach party or pool party. Pants are always okay. And please wear a shirt of some kind when you are off resort or off the beach.

Women - if you are a tourist - no matter what you wear we know you are a tourst. Daytime - shorts as for me but not SHORT SHORTS. Those are worn by certain kinds of females if you catch my drift. Skirts - perfectly acceptable. Short skirts seem to be okay as well, extra short - no. Night - now this is where we see these really short shorts and short skirts being worn, only acceptable in club settings. NOT acceptable in nicer places. Pants are almost always acceptable.

Sandals with socks - never okay.

Speedos - private pools only please.

Micro short skirts - unless you are advertising your wares - keep it at home. If you are advertising keep it in the strip clubs.

It is NOT okay to walk down the street in your bikini top.

It is NOT okay for men to be in the grocery store without a shirt on.

If you leave the resort put on your clothes. If you leave your villa put on your clothes.

Monfongo to add to your list:

Granny pants showing over your drop waist jeans - 100 peso fine

No pants showing under your too short skirt - 200 peso fine and a date with CC.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Okay I have to say something about swimwear and this should apply to every country. I worked for a Swimwear company for 10 years and here are some of the not to do's...

1. If you are not a male professional swimmer - you should never wear a Speedo. Unless you are doing laps in your private pool.

2. If you have had the same swimsuit for any longer than one year - buy a new one. Most become see through in certain spots after prolonged wear and not being taken care of properly. We do not need to see through your suit.

3. Buy your proper size and not one 3 sizes too small. There is a swimsuit for every figure and someone at a swimwear store can help you choose one that will best flatter your figure. Do not buy one off the rack unless you have tried it on.

4. Men - do not buy running shorts unless you plan to run in them and definitely do not stand with your leg up on something as we can see right up your shorts.

5. Men - make sure there is a liner in your shorts or buy the longer boardshort style which is always appropriate. The boys flopping around is not a sight we long to see.

6. Women - If you have a large bust, buy a suit that fits in the cups and not one that has your breasts runneth over the top of the suit.

7. If you have children with you please let's not see you running around after them in a thong - it is never pretty. I don't care what size you are. Unless you are a Supermodel in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition it doesn't work.

8. Cover-ups are always appropriate when leaving the beach.

There are so many options for swimwear available there is no reason to look like a slob in your swimsuit. Oh and buy more than one. You wouldn't wear the same outfit everyday so why wear the same dirty swimsuit everyday?

It doesn't matter what size you are there are always appropriate swimsuits. You don't have to be a size 6 to look great in a swimsuit, in fact I have seen lots of plus sized girls looking better then their slimmer friends because of the swimsuits they chose.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ok, what abut the younger generation ? i see lots of young dominican guys (moto drivers) and ladies wearing jean shorts in sosua. maybe they are the exception rather than the rule. they're not fat, sloppy looking, wrinkly, crab-colored (from the beach with no sunscreen), or down right hideous looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.