Men in shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
Well....

I don't wear shorts becuase i noticed the foreigners did exclusively, for the most part, and i wanted to blend in. I am black, and even though i am eligible for a good sun-burn, never wear sun block and never really worry about a burn. If anything, my shoulders peel for a few days after a good set of sun time. I say all that to say, WHO cares. If you burn easy, cover up, if not, get nekkid.

I DO notice the tourist now "due to" the short pants ("por" los pantalones cortes)

NYC

perpetual159

Dec 12, 2007
Noo... whoever came up with this retarded idea. The locals wear wear clothing that is very western. If you're hot, wear your shorts! Even during nighttime it's okay to wear shorts, but that is always depending on what kind of situation you are. Of course, if you're going to have dinner at a fancy place, then I would suggest wearing something based on what you're going to be doing. Wearing shorts, just like in the US, to a club or bar is not advisable.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
It all depends- in Santo Domingo, if you go to Bella Vista mall in shorts, you will get strange looks. If you are in Sosewer or Cabarete, it will be rare you see someone in jeans..

N

naturelover

good lord pants are what we wear under trousers in the uk.............lol....I think length of shorts can be a factor in deciding whats appropriate....ive seen a few rather elderly men in hotpants hanging round the girly bars late at night

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
good lord pants are what we wear under trousers in the uk.............lol....I think length of shorts can be a factor in deciding whats appropriate....ive seen a few rather elderly men in hotpants hanging round the girly bars late at night

NL:

I have noticed your gender seems to fluctuate according to the type of post you are responding to, must be convenient to switch your genitalia!

tambo'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"unknown quantity"

what do you mean ? was i a woman at some time

In searching for the meaning of the blue/gray box under your name (new DR1 rating system) I couldn't help but notice you are "an unknown quantity".
Perhaps this is part of the problem.

john

A

apostropheman

now it says "naturelover has a little shameless behaviour in the past"! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
In searching for the meaning of the blue/gray box under your name (new DR1 rating system) I couldn't help but notice you are "an unknown quantity".
Perhaps this is part of the problem.

john
:D

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
For Dominicans some may say that only maybe "loose girls" use them but this is no longer becoming the case as many young girls in their early teens and older are wearing shorts out in public now. It is by no means common practice in my opinion to go downtown shopping in such attire but in the barrios it is seen frequently enough. If a girl does go shopping downtown in shorts she might get a few stares but if she goes out at night that is a different story alltogether - I don't think it is well received.

For gringas it doesn't matter as Domincans know they dress differently.

Think about the logic here. Chicas cannot wear shorts during certain outings, but skirts short enough to make it seem as if the wearer is ready for a GYN exam is fine.

If you are a tourist, you will not be there long enough to acclimatize to the heat and humidity. Yes, I've worn light colored long pants made of linen and I still roasted.

You know what looks even funnier than a guy wearing shorts? A guy standing somewhere sweating like a pig on a spit because he's overdressed and not used to the heat.

If anything try to wear a hat to keep the sun from grilling your face.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i only see the younger dominicans in shorts. the long shorts past their knees like the US kids wear. a trendy thing perhaps.
and guys please leave the cookie cutter shorts at home !!

when i wear a hat it frys my head (being bald). so i'm gonna sweat regardless. i couldn't help but notice in my last trip to Sosua nightclubs women in hotpants (remember those ?)and some in short skirts.
times are changing.....

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I too wear shorts and have now for over a year. I did learn that shorts are not welcomed in Goverment buildings. My wife and I traveled from POP to SDQ to get our picture taken for our residence. The lawyer there told me I could not show up looking like that. I asked if it was a full frontal picture or just a bust. He said bust. I told him I didn't see why I need long pants. My Spanish is bad and so was his English. I bought a pair of blue jeans for $64.00 USD and that met with his approval. Kinda odd, as our first visit to the same building over a yar ago, dressed in shorts, no word was mentioned then????????? Live and learn

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Shorts" at the BEACH! AND "Beach Towns".

If you are a "TOURIST",you can do whatever you want! But you can't get in to Churches,or most government buildings.
If you are under 21,you can wear shorts during the day,around your house,to the "Mall",or other public places. At night,better wear nice pants. Leave your "jeans" at home!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if you have one million mosquito bites on your legs, why wear shorts ? looks like you have some kind of STD or something :ermm:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
As mentioned, depends on the setting, if you're going out, wear pants like everywhere else. If you are going to work, dress accordingly. Unless it will somehow affect you, I don't see why you would have to change the way you dress, especially if doing so is uncomfortable. Just because everyone is wearing the same generic jeans, tucked in striped shirt and point dress shoes, doesn't mean you have to. Just a bit of common sense, more or less dress codes are similar to those of NA or Europe. Some places won't let you in with shorts, running shoes or wife-beaters.

btw. I've done some research into the dominican disdain for shorts - turns out if you are wearing shorts, you are seen as cheap... ...because you can only afford half the pants.

N

naturelover

I'm afraid that just wearing jeans will not make you blend in..... as a dominican , they will wonder why the red faced man isnt wearing something a little cooler.
We are not Dominican so theres no point trying to pretend they wont notice us if we dress the same ...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.