Men in shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
As the self proclaimed General of the fashion police I will weigh in on this discussion.

It is NOT okay to walk down the street in your bikini top.

CC.

Sorry Planner I just can't agree with you on this one;)
hifiman

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
On the beach, in Sos?a, Cabarete or Puerto Plata (or any beach area) all well and good.
In Santiago, Moca or La Vega (or any inland town or city) no.

HB

I would agree, it seems to be a bit more relaxed in Beach areas.

Funny story (or maybe sad story) my first trip to the DR and Sosua last spring, I wandered into a Disco, wearing t-shirt, shorts and tennies. then got dragged onto the dance floor by some flirtatious chica, and then realized I had no business being there in that kind of attire. I'm a 53 y.o. 6' white guy, so I don't blend that well in the first place. I looked around to see if everyone was staring at me, they weren't, but I did see some 60+y.o. old fart dancing with shorts on...so I wasn't the only one. But I did vow that I wouldn't do it again. I told the flirtatious chica that I had to go home and change clothes, and the next thing I know she's following me home....(It must have been my attractive legs!)....

I now wear shorts during the day if lounging or headed to the beach, but that's about it. At nite for dinner, meeting friends, disco, etc, I only wear Business Casual or better. EVen going to super mercado during the day I'll throw on a pair of slacks, it just feels more comfortable in, and like someone else mentioned, it's a bit of a respect issue. I am planning a trip to Santiago and will not be wearing shorts unless going to the hotel pool.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
hmmmm...so i guess i will leave my mesh thong at home! (think of the extra vejo packaging lol)

bottom line...shorts for resorts pants for the city and or night life. You will still look like a gringo...but you wont look like an idiot.

I think its kinda like walking around nyc with one of those foam statue of liberty crowns. sure..you CAN do that....but you wont be treated with any bit of respect.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Are you kidding? Wear shorts! Be yourself. The Euros wear their bunhuggers on the beach and I don't hear anyone bagging on it. The Dominicans wear their jeans to swim and you are worried about shorts. If you are going to dinner or a nice lunch, dress to the custom, otherwise do as you wish.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ctrob, i agree with you at the supermercado. i once wore some shorts in the supermercado and i thought i had a booger hanging from my nose because all the checkout chicas were staring at me ! maybe it was my deer legs...:laugh:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I used to wear shorts all of the time because of the heat but now only wear long pants.

I felt like I needed to schedule some beach time just to get rid of the super neon white Canadian I live in the snow half the year colour.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I went to an office in Santa Domingo and was wearing shorts, did I get a look.

But they were happy to take my money.

Wear what you want wherever you want

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I went to an office in Santa Domingo and was wearing shorts, did I get a look.

But they were happy to take my money.

Wear what you want wherever you want

Did you call La Capital SANTA Domingo?
That might turn a few heads!

;)

Last edited:

Binerds

Nov 30, 2006
I think it's nice when people have opions on what to or what not to wear, even if I don't hold them same opions. It shows that people are still sensitive enough to know what they wear can affect other people around them and they are concerned enough to make the effort not to upset them.

I will wear shorts, bikinis etc round a resort but wear cargo trousers & top if walking round the town (or long skirt) although I often wear 3/4 length trousers which I don't think should upset anyone. At night if I'm going to a bar/club I will wear a short dress but I feel that this is acceptable clothing for that type of venue.

I would feel very out of place wearing trousers in a night club, unless they were tight with holes ripped in certain places ;) I feel like I might as well dress in a way that makes me feel attractive so while I can get away with it I will and I suppose tone-down some time in the future...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
for you santiago folks out there, people have told me i can't dress in santiago like i do in sosua. for example, i'm always in jeans and a dress shirt on a night out. dress pants are preferable. and i understand NO SHORTS period.....

any truth to this ?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
for you santiago folks out there, people have told me i can't dress in santiago like i do in sosua. for example, i'm always in jeans and a dress shirt on a night out. dress pants are preferable. and i understand NO SHORTS period.....

any truth to this ?

I am not a santiago folk, but you are correct on the above, but nice dress jeans with a dress shirt is acceptable. For the nicer establishments, no sneakers, excess jewelry, and t-shirts are allowed. Wearing a polo shirt with dress jeans and black diesels (shoe/sneakers) is common.

I remember the time that the door guy at francifol made me go back to the hotel and change my shirt from a sleeveless muscle shirt to a dress shirt, I was even told to change at Monte Bar, when in Rome, hahahahaha.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I remember the days when I could wear a muscle shirt. Holy that was a long time ago!

I always feel better being a bit overdressed anyway and you seem to get a bit more respect. Course I need to get a new gorro mine being two years old now.

Just can't seem to get away from wanting to wear a baseball hat when ya losing your hair.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

any truth to this ?
Depends on the jeans, IMO. Those baggy things are out. I see guys wearing what I'd call "dress jeans"; some even have a crisp crease ironed in them.

It also depends on the venue. Some are more dressy than others.

The short thing? I no longer wear them except when out exploring the countryside. You ~could~, but you stick out, and the looks you get aren't complimentary.

When in Rome...

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I wear shorts all the time and it is often considered ok for gringos. It is definately not ok for locals, and you does lose a few points for wearing them...

Sep 19, 2005
I see a few men with shorts and a short sleeve dress shirt out in the barrios once in a while especially on a saturday or sunday.
I have never seen a dominican MAN in shorts in Santiago...or at least i dont remembering seeing any ...and I have been in town hundreds of times.

bob

jankeef

Mar 27, 2007
So, please can someone please clarify is it ok to wear shorts or not around Puerto Plata and surrounding area. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.