Monte Alto Coffee

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We use one of these:

8c3f4d0e8b9a4921e4dffc5afef93ec7.jpg

It was like $50 at La Sirena, works great and makes fine coffee.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So called because the first ones imported had a picture of a little man on them. He was supposed to be Greek.
At least that's what they told me several years ago in Puerto Plata.
As far as I know 'Greca' was the brand name - 'Greek' in Spanish is griego/griega.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Greca brand was Italian, and the logo was a Greek man. That would make sense.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I went searching for instructions on how to use a French Press, and found out they use a 'sock' in Malaysia too. My mother-in-law didn't reuse the coffee grounds, but she did pour the coffee through the sock a couple of times.

[from wikipedia]: A cafeti?re, or French press, is a tall, narrow cylinder with a plunger that includes a metal or nylon mesh filter. The grounds are placed in the cylinder, and boiling water is then poured into it. The coffee and hot water are left in the cylinder for a few minutes (typically 4–7 minutes) and the plunger is pushed down, leaving the filter immediately above the grounds, allowing the coffee to be poured out while the filter retains the grounds. Depending on the type of filter, it is important to pay attention to the grind of the coffee beans, though a rather coarse grind is almost always called for.[7] A plain glass cylinder may be used, or a vacuum flask arrangement to keep the coffee hot; this is not to be confused with a vacuum brewer--see below.
Malaysian coffee is often brewed using a "sock," which is actually a simple muslin bag, shaped like a filter, into which coffee is loaded, then steeped into hot water. This method is especially suitable for use with local-brew coffees in Malaysia, primarily of the varieties Robusta and Liberica which are often strong-flavored, allowing the ground coffee in the sock to be reused.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Oh I guess I use a greca all the time . My family calls it a Cuban coffee pot. I didn't know that was what you meant. When I asked about making expresso I was referencing this pot

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I call it Italian coffee pot. Interestingly enough, I don't know anyone with a French press in France.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Chiri" is your foto of a woman pouring coffee into her husbands severed penis "Foto Shopped"?????
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Sorry,But I just can't help myself!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my friend in london uses one of these:
16rvxf.jpg

i saw something similar in israel, they make really good coffee there. very black, very strong, very sweet and very hot :) plenty of tiny stands where you can get that...

but i just needed to confirm that monte alto made in greca by cccccc's suagra is da best :)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
NOW I know what happened!
About 10 years ago, in Sosua, I had the best Dominican coffee I ever tasted.
I was told it was Monte Alto.
I could never find it in Santo Dominigo.
Over the years I searched,and "Forgot" the name.
Then one day, at Super National" I saw IT!
Bought some, went home and had "Mi Suegra" fire up the "Greca".
It was horrible!
Now I know why!
I bought "Monte Real"not "Monte Alto"
Today my quest is resumed!
"Monte Alto, or DEATH"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Im sure I see the Monte Alto at the Nacional in Bella Vista Mall. I will confirm and get back to ya!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I shall be trying the Olivio family coffee tomorrow and I'll give my opinion on it's flavour. What kind of coffee I like depends on the time of day and the mood I'm in. I like Monte Alto, but I'm more partial to medium roast and most coffee here is dark roast.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
After tasting Both Monte Alto and Monte Real it's goodbye cafe Santo Domingo for me!