My dog got poisoned.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Sorry to hear this!

But this can be avoided if you take precautions to train your dog:

My dogs were trained since young NOT to eat anything (anywhere, even on their food plate, unless they see one of us put it there and give it to them) around the house or provided to them.

We used a very spicy chile in some of his favorite foods and placed them all around the house, including the garbage bins.
We also had strangers swing some juicy meats over the fence directly onto them.

Needless to say, after a few hit and misses, they got the message!

The worst offenders were the small dogs. I seriously was thinking they liked their food extra spiced or something, but later we learned it had to do more with the smell of the foods used to entice them.

If they see food on their dishes, they will not touch it, unless we first pick it up in their visual field and place it in front of them.

We test this every 6 months to reinforce their memory.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Harley, you have my sympathy. i know how much you care, and that makes it even more painful. i wish you the best.

She didn't eat her dinner and is looking so depressed, weak and fragile. :-(

I think we will take her tomorrow to Dr Bob to get her put down. She has less than 7% blood left. I wanted to take her today but the Wife wanted one more day with her and I think DR Bob wanted to see if the meds would help.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Very sorry to hear this Harley, heartbreaking for all? of you, especially since the poor thing has always been the underdog, got a great break with you, ontop for for the first time and then some bastardo does this.
I would defo pay attention to security being so out of the way, it es unusual they would bother unless there was motive or gain.

If you have to go through it then i hope you can stay strong, i know i am a mess under such tough circumstances.

Put it down to experience and try not to retaliate, it will only bite you back harder.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is really sad. as smart said, she was always the underdog. but with you she found her home and her chance for a better life. kudos to you for taking her in and for doing everything for her, including this last service.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am sorry to hear about your dog. It is just heart breaking I am sure. What a wonderful thing you did by taking her in. You made her short time very happy.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Sorry to hear of yoru dog, at least she lived a good life with you for a time

She's not gone yet, with all the positivity and love going her way i will not be in the slightest bit surprised if harley wakes up un the morning and the dog es sitting there with its food bowl in one paw and tickets for wet'n'wild in the other. Never give up on these dogs, they are tough as they come.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Sorry for your grief Harley. She was lucky to have found you. The fact that the other dogs are not showing signs is an indication of her eating the suspect rat and not intentional poisoning. At least that is my hope.
our thoughts are with you and your wife.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Sorry. It's a fact here in Los Conucos every few months when it's time to rob your house.