My Dominican friend needs help finding a better job

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
CC don't waste your time with Dog Bone, he still believes in fairies and the Easter bunny.

What is that supposed to mean? I'm living a lifestyle and in an environment and around friends that allows me to absorb real Dominican people, what they are doing and how they go about employment. Are you saying that what I have said is untrue? If so what in your opinion is untrue, what specifically is the fairy tale I believe in? Please share. Otherwise I suggest you consider finding a thread where you have a relevant viewpoint rather than commenting on others experience that are more viable than your own.

Another person who needs to generalize and go with the flow, do you know anything about this country someone else didn't tell you?

Dec 26, 2011
What is that supposed to mean? I'm living a lifestyle and in an environment and around friends that allows me to absorb real Dominican people, what they are doing and how they go about employment. Are you saying that what I have said is untrue? If so what in your opinion is untrue, what specifically is the fairy tale I believe in? Please share. Otherwise I suggest you consider finding a thread where you have a relevant viewpoint rather than commenting on others experience that are more viable than your own.

Another person who needs to generalize and go with the flow, do you know anything about this country someone else didn't tell you?

Don't let them ruffle your feathers, brother.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Greg, you seem like a nice guy.
Naive, but nice!
All is not what it seems here in the DR.
If you met your "Friend" on line, that in itself is a red flag.
Did you go to the place where she is working, or did she tell you she was working???
Number one question, did you have sex with her the first time she came to your hotel???
If the answer is "Si!", don't you think she is doing the same thing with her other "Internet "Friends"?????
Chances are very high that you are being "HAD"!
That's not a bad thing, everyone pays for sex, one way or another.
Dominicanas are beautiful,sexy, and available!
Probably much better than you get at "home", if you are getting "ANY" at "home" that is.
If you had fun with her, great!
You just need to realize that you are just "One-Of-Many"!
You don't need to become her "Patron Saint" to have a good time with her.
You don't need to send money to her, or gifts either.
Give her a thousand pesos for every day she spends with you,more is too much.
She won't "Like" you anymore if you bury her in "Stuff"!
Let her other friends do that.
You probably know nothing about this girl, and you probably never will!
I have been there, and "Done That" many , many times. Had fun, spent a fortune, BEFORE I got SMART!
Most likely, you will too.
Men always like to think that we are special in any woman,s eyes, we ain't!
Keep us posted we all love a "Love Lost" story.
Cris Colon

Papi.. i am proud of thee

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
CC is right on...
And it's becomes worse as the job requires less qualifications. No job for stranger, even you had previous experience, unless you are overly qualified for the job and one of the top official brought them in, it's very difficult to get in. I've notice while I watch people here go though hundreds of applications, those that get hired are those with connection. Either they are all supervisor's family long distance member of some sort or family's friend's friends. They are all connected. And those who gets in without connection, go through rough treatment for long time before they get accepted as "one of their own". This maybe the reason why factories are struggling because of inept people hired and in result bad and slow production.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree on almost all fronts with CC here.. I live in a middle class neighborhood in Santiago and only 2 types of people can afford to live here. People who got cushy positions with Edenorte or other big empresas through cu?a (family or friends connections, some political) , or people who were able to start their own businesses with seed money from the US, either they themselves slaved in NYC for years and saved up money and brought it back to start their own business, or their family members helped them start up. Your best chance in the DR for a small fulltime income if you know absolutely nobody and don't have a bunch of money to setup a business is probably some sort of MLM thing. I drink these herbalife shakes and I bet the guy makes decent scratch with his little nutrition center. I have also seen a big amway office and I'm sure mary kay and avon are strong here. Disclaimer : Doing these MLM things is hard work, most Dominicans will give up pretty quickly considering the amount of abuse you have to take to hawk your wares. The most successful people I've seen selling the stuff is usually foreigners, Italians, South Americans etc.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
go through rough treatment for long time before they get accepted as "one of their own".

Is this not the case anywhere in almost any job, you're new, you need to be felt out, run gauged, read.
I don't think this person is looking to walk into a supervisors job, why would she, she just wants something with better prospects.
I once worked for a company in the Cap, the boss was a European guy who landed the position because he knew the owner of the company who lived in the US, and was American. The guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, yet was put in place to keep an eye on the rest of us. None of us got our jobs through connection, only the gaffa of which we outnumbered 15/1. If this is typical of the ratio of those who get in through contacts then I still stand by my point that this is massively exaggerated to say this is how to get a job (as if the only way). But as has been mentioned, we all to know this is subject to experience, employment history and social circles here.

It's a little depressing to think so many think this is the only way it can work out here, but I do respect others opinions and experience, it's not so surprising.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There's a reason why things work the way they do here, it's not only to help out a family member. The ridiculous amount of employee theft (information and material) causes business owners to be extremely wary of anyone they hire. I have a friend here who hired an outside salesman at his used car agency and that salesman ended up finding all of my buddies contacts at the bank for getting cars at reasonable auction prices. The guy then sold the contacts to another dealer and it instantly doubled his competition at the auctions. If the guy would have been a long distance cousin, there would be hell to pay from the family because of the betrayal of trust. Since he hired some random salesman, all he can do is fire him and talk **** about him any chance he gets. It's like a defense mechanism that Dom businesses need, and I understand what Koreano means when he says that is probably why the factories are so inefficient, underqualified people in positions that could give two ****s about their job.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My experience getting a job was different. Back in 2001, without speaking a word of Spanish and without having any contact I was hired by the local office of an international consultancy firm.

I have seen many people being hired in places due to connections, but also many many people being hired after applying and pass the process of selection. Probably in lower paid jobs referrals of co-workers are important and those jobs are often given as personal favors to family and friends (Dominicans love to be the one supplying a job to someone else) but in higher positions its definitely a matter of qualification.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a reason why things work the way they do here, it's not only to help out a family member. The ridiculous amount of employee theft (information and material) causes business owners to be extremely wary of anyone they hire. I have a friend here who hired an outside salesman at his used car agency and that salesman ended up finding all of my buddies contacts at the bank for getting cars at reasonable auction prices. The guy then sold the contacts to another dealer and it instantly doubled his competition at the auctions. If the guy would have been a long distance cousin, there would be hell to pay from the family because of the betrayal of trust. Since he hired some random salesman, all he can do is fire him and talk **** about him any chance he gets. It's like a defense mechanism that Dom businesses need, and I understand what Koreano means when he says that is probably why the factories are so inefficient, underqualified people in positions that could give two ****s about their job.
I agree, it's about ensuring you're surrounded by gente de confianza as well as playing the role of padrino and helping out your close friends and relatives.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to help a friend. My friend is a Dominican born and raised in Santiago where she currently lives. She speaks only spanish. She currently has a job in retail but the pay is very low and she is struggling to survive. She is hard working and an honest person. I am trying to help her find a better job and am asking the members of the forum for any help, leads or advice. Maybe someone knows a business in Santiago looking for a reliable employee. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you
Greg81 is this you GF or friend? If she is your girlfriend you have to find her work from the outside in and not the inside out. The people in charge of educating young Dominicans how much do they make? Did you know a full time Walmart worker makes much much more money then they do. Make moves and connections outside of DR then once you are established return to DR and YOU employ your GF the upside will be much greater. Greg81 nobody is going to do you a major favor like that for you and give your friend a nice paying job in DR, you have better chance walking into a lottery place and ask them for the winning numbers.

Btw I don't have time now but I will explain to you how I employed a full time worker and a part time worker in San Jose, Costa Rica from downtown Chicago. It will be difficult to find work for her in Santiago because you have to ask yourself what does the workforce in Santiago do that sets them apart from the rest of the world if you answer is " I don't know." Then it will be safe to say people have the nice paying jobs because of who they know.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Careful "DOG" we will have to give you an honorary "DR Spin Doctor" license !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Haha! I'm not switching to the rose tinted side, we all know what happens to those, whatever happened to Pichardo?
But there is no need to put spin on anything with relation to this subject, some have experienced the life where everyone knows the boss (and no one deserves to be there, I presume you guys landed your jobs through contacts rather than merit also?), where as I have experienced the life where people deserve to be where they are (and yes a few because they know the boss). There is no spin needed on this matter, it is all just facts, go on, tell me otherwise:smoke:

Can I have that license now please:bunny:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"NO!"
You have been found guilty of MALPRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
We have forgotten to list two very important "Qualifications" for many jobs here, "Political Party Affiliation", and who you sleep with!
Just ask "Margarita"!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is this not the case anywhere in almost any job, you're new, you need to be felt out, run gauged, read.
I don't think this person is looking to walk into a supervisors job, why would she, she just wants something with better prospects.
I once worked for a company in the Cap, the boss was a European guy who landed the position because he knew the owner of the company who lived in the US, and was American. The guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, yet was put in place to keep an eye on the rest of us. None of us got our jobs through connection, only the gaffa of which we outnumbered 15/1. If this is typical of the ratio of those who get in through contacts then I still stand by my point that this is massively exaggerated to say this is how to get a job (as if the only way). But as has been mentioned, we all to know this is subject to experience, employment history and social circles here.

It's a little depressing to think so many think this is the only way it can work out here, but I do respect others opinions and experience, it's not so surprising.
I stand by people aren't saying that EVERYBODY is getting hired by their friends but large percentages are and things gets worse as job requires less qualification.

Other day, I was smoking a cigarette and going though mails on my tablet and a guy confronted me asked for a job, I said apply on the front desk and he said he already did month ago and the guy insist I hire him. I said why? he said he is the best (particular) machine operator in Dominican Republic. Since one girl is pregnant (again) and I want to be entertained. I brought we tested him. UNBELIEVABLE!!! This guy is 2-2.5 times faster then girls we have been using, he had skilled like a mid level operator in US. I told him as you produce more you get paid more. He said "Great!" he said give him more time and he can do it faster and better. He got the job and he is going though that "bonding time".

I don't know if it's just my factory but it seems like there aren't that many that are motivated by more money. We have incentive system where you produce more you get paid more and do you know how many are motivated by this system? Can you believe if I say only between 3-5%? Rest give up from start thinking it is unreachable or they think they are special and doing enough work while talking for couple of hours and sitting in bathroom for god knows how long. And meanwhile that 3-5% is going home with 150%+ paycheck.

Either we need change or it's just the Dominicans way of thinking or they knows that their buddy/long distance cousins got their back.

And I think it's all of above and there's nothing that I can do about that other then SLOWLY weed out and cut the connections.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We have forgotten to list two very important "Qualifications" for many jobs here, "Political Party Affiliation", and who you sleep with!

There is a company who often advertises not a million miles from here who operates on an 'orgasm for opportunity' basis, seriously. She is known to have slept with ALL the male members in the office, prior to or shortly after she employs them. Only down side is she is British, but she does have a Dominican Appetite.
So this concept is not so far fetched, even on lower level jobs and even from female bosses, it's not all bad here is it:lick:

Feb 15, 2005

:laugh:

Nov 25, 2008
Hey Dog Bone, I think you should stop sniffing pixy dust because you are hallucinating if you think a regular Joe, lets say a person who graduates from UTESA or PUCMM can find a job that's not a call center, I mean a real job with a future, without the influence of a "padrino" let me know.
Now a days any student graduating already has 1 strike against them.
That is why I recommend anyone with the remote possibility to leave the island and look for a better promise land in the US (which is not good) or Canada.
The DR that I knew from 1982 is NOT the friendly, help your neighbor atmosphere, their are exceptions,TRUE. I like to compare the DR to Puerto Rico....and its not going to get any better.
Unless your involved in the government or your family has old money or new "drug" money the regular class is unsurvivable.
of course this is my humble opinion.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Haha, unable to read? not surprising actually! Where in any of my posts have I mentioned the above? You are as bad as JMB for making things up or seeing what you want to see in my posts. I've stated several times now I referred to making an application for military based positions. You are not accepted into the military courses unless there are positions to fill, if you can get in then you get a decent chance at a decent life. And no the military is not equal to joining the PN which will be your next presumption as you listen to hearsay to much. It can be well paid, it is decently paid at any level once in, your direction you take is up to you, but this person was asking for advice, this is my advice. You seem to be saying to me that someone who doesn't make an effort stands as much chance of making it as someone who does, which is bollox.

Now please do as I requested and point out to me specifically where I have written something you find untrue or fantasy.

You know, I stand by my comment about people of this frame of mind, you know only what others tell you. The kind of person who believes in the 'get a girl from campo' rubbish 'every Dominican wants a visa', 'every woman can't say no to a gringo', which is all BS if you step for a while into the real country and start operating among the Dominican community rather than sitting with your expat buddies, sipping a beer and looking down on everything before you. People with lots of opinion and little experience. Happy to judge a nation on what you've read online or spoken about to a buddy in a bar. Generalization is great to speak of some things,it is not a problem, but you are saying it is not worth trying to better yourself, no one can get a job on merit, it's foolish to generalize like this, it's not easy here by any stretch of the imagination, it is very very difficult, the options are tiny, but they are there if you can motivate yourself to put in some effort.

Last edited: