National blackout?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have just realized, the power has been out for a while in el million sector. I just didn't realize it because we have a diesel planta running during blackouts.
Oh well, like roberts said "welcome to 3rd world country".
Go to beach or somewhere, many of you folks have no real jobs anyway. hehehehe
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
Un apag?n general afect? hoy al pa?s

General blackout affected the country today

Un apagón general afectó hoy al país - DiarioLibre.com

Un apag?n general afect? hoy al pa?s aproximadamente a las 11:35 a.m., conforme revel? el superintendente Electricidad, Francisco M?ndez.

Empero, dijo a las 4:00 de la tarde ya comenzaba a recuperarse el sistema con 750 megas en l?nea.

El apag?n general ocurri? cuando la planta AES Andre, que regula el sistema, sali? y arrastr? a las dem?s plantas en serie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The general blackout affected DR today starting 11.35 am, according to SIE's F.Mendez.

He said that as of 4 pm the system started to get back online, with 750 MW being supplied into the grid.

The blackout occurred when the AES Andres plant which regulates the system went offline and in a chain reaction took with it additional plants.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
In JD the power was out yesterday the whole day till 7.30pm, today all day till 4.30pm and we were just informed that again tomorrow it will be gone. Apparently they?re having problems with the plants in Boca Chica and San Pedro.
THIS IS REALLY F....D UP, it?s becoming a 4th world country:eek:gre:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So basically there's one plant that controls the whole system? At least that's what it sounds like from the article. So if that one goes down like it did today everyone is screwed...Nice redundancy.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There is no redundancy. there is a deficit. So I imagine that if one generator goes offline without proper warning and coordination it could easily overload the remaining sections of the grid causing them to shut down too.

Imagine 4 guys carrying a heavy load together, one of them trips and it could easily take the others down.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The blackout lasted until after 2:00 p.m. in Santiago, I did not take note of the time it came back...

and just yesterday the idiots at CDEEE were talking about how they were getting things back on line...including AES Andres (300 megas).....what a crock...

As there are still no massive public demonstrations...

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The blackout lasted until after 2:00 p.m. in Santiago, I did not take note of the time it came back...

and just yesterday the idiots at CDEEE were talking about how they were getting things back on line...including AES Andres (300 megas).....what a crock...

As there are still no massive public demonstrations...

HB

I read that they are planning a huelga soon in Bonao as we speak, can't find the link.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Same Shyte - Different Politician

Executive Vice President of the Dominican State-run Electricity Companies (CDEEE) Radhames Segura is with Leonel right now in the middle-east, I guess he's doing some serious sucking up!

The above seems to be a pattern, M.O. (Method of Operation) with the bad government leaders.

Isn't that basically the same thing that was happening with the A$$ in charge of the dam who released all that water and killed all those people? He hung by Leonel's side like Flies on Shyte.

SantiagoDR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yesterday on our way back to costambar (10.30pm) we saw burning tyres on the street. no people thou. all javillar plunged in darkness.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
On Sundays I like to Scoot over to Cabarete to grab some Chinese food and the trees along the highway in the " moto concho lane" were about to decapitate me and I was considering posting a question about who to call to cut back the foilage and now I have my awnser....so it seems the power outages are to make sure I get my egg rolls!

I don't complain anymore unless there is no AC....sure is HOT1

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Cutting the foilage, that was what we got told here in PP, too. But, nationwide, same day? Why I feel not to believe it? Maybe they sent them out to cut, after everything went down, to use that as an excuse?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Are generators/inversores not working either there?? I am coming back home soon and then my brother is coming to visit, I do not want him to be in my house sweating to death on his vacation.
Are the lights in the resorts out too?
I mean, I thought almost every expat had a planta or an inversor?
I'm confused:ermm:
SHALENA

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
In JD the power was out yesterday the whole day till 7.30pm, today all day till 4.30pm and we were just informed that again tomorrow it will be gone. Apparently they?re having problems with the plants in Boca Chica and San Pedro.
THIS IS REALLY F....D UP, it?s becoming a 4th world country:eek:gre:

As I mentioned yesterday that the power was going to be out today I was expecting it to go in the morning but forgot that the day starts at 12am, it went at 1am now it?s 9am and there?s still no power. In the 1,5 years that I live here the power went out less than the last 3 weeks.
El pais de la maravilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose I shouldn't complain that my electric bill was US$500 last month. At least I have electricity (Bavaro).

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
SKing,

You shouldn't have to worry about Resorts, they know that tourists won't have it with blackouts and such, so they have back up generators. Same goes with PC, having attracted foreigners to luxury living, they know people won't put up with the long power outages - everyone else however can put up with them.

As for you InsanelyOne, I can't quite imagine how you could get a U$500 bill for one month, i mean it is probably something you could complain about - unless you use an insane amount of electricity. Please don't tell me you have an electric cloths dryer for all your clothes! :p

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
SKing,

You shouldn't have to worry about Resorts, they know that tourists won't have it with blackouts and such, so they have back up generators. Same goes with PC, having attracted foreigners to luxury living, they know people won't put up with the long power outages - everyone else however can put up with them.

As for you InsanelyOne, I can't quite imagine how you could get a U$500 bill for one month, i mean it is probably something you could complain about - unless you use an insane amount of electricity. Please don't tell me you have an electric cloths dryer for all your clothes! :p

I have an Inversor, a small one. Should I buy a planta when I return? I cannot be without electricity for long. But never had a serious problem of blackouts where I live in Santiago.
SHALENA

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am thinking of a planta as backup for my inversor (1,5 kw). Day before yesterday the outage was that long here in PP, that my batteries (2) went empty, only from using PC, a little TV and my son with his PS2 after 3 hours.
Or maybe my batteries getting old, don't know.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We are in Punta Cana where it is twice as expensive as the rest of the country but it is a reliable 24/7 service. We have the same consumption as we did in the capital - our apartment is only slightly bigger - but no inversor seems to make a difference and our bills are about the same as they were in Santo Domingo. US$30 or less :D

Feb 7, 2007
but no inversor seems to make a difference and our bills are about the same as they were in Santo Domingo. US$30 or less :D

It is a known fact that 10 kWh of inversor power costs anywhere between 12 to 15 kWh depending on how the inverter is built, set up, and tuned.

That means, considering your batteries are full, if you take 10kWh of power form the inverter batteries, to recharge to the same full level takes 12 to 15 kWh of "street" power.

For that reason the DR law on electricity says that the distributors should reimburse for each hour of outage at the proportional kWh cost + 50%.