New & Renewal Cedula, Residency Cards & Drivers License

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeNLeB

Jan 31, 2011
Can anyone please tell me what documents I will need to get my Cedula and where I need to go? I am married to a Dominican and would rather not have to go through the process of getting my residency.

Any help would be much appreciated!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
What you want has no bearing one what needs to happen. You cannot get your cedula without your residencia. They go hand in hand.

You may be able to go a different route if you qualify for and go get citizenship. It used to be that a woman marrying a Dominican man automatically qualified. There was talk of changing the rules so that a man who marries a Dominican woman qualifies too. But I don't know the status of that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can anyone please tell me what documents I will need to get my Cedula and where I need to go? I am married to a Dominican and would rather not have to go through the process of getting my residency.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I suggest you start a new thread with your question so that Fabio Guzman, the lawyer, will answer it. Start a new thread in this section, Legal, with the same question you posed here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
had my cedula renewed in SD today. in and out in 25 minutes including 10 minutes the guy serving me took to ponder over his lunch menu choice. i paid 3000 pesos (2k for renewal and 1k flat rate for expired cedula). you need your passport, residency card and old cedula. they take copies of passport and residency for you, then a photo, fingerprints and you're out.
copy-taking girl told me that prior to the late renewal fee pardon they had a guy pay 60k pesos for his cedula. he must be pretty upset now, eh?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
had my cedula renewed in SD today. in and out in 25 minutes including 10 minutes the guy serving me took to ponder over his lunch menu choice. i paid 3000 pesos (2k for renewal and 1k flat rate for expired cedula). you need your passport, residency card and old cedula. they take copies of passport and residency for you, then a photo, fingerprints and you're out.
copy-taking girl told me that prior to the late renewal fee pardon they had a guy pay 60k pesos for his cedula. he must be pretty upset now, eh?

ha ha ha,
Hey DV,
I guess he is still sitting at the Colmadon drinking His pain away,
of course "Fiao",
he left all the bucks at JCE, lol.

an addy for RESIDENCY thingies for the Punta Cana/Bavaro Area,
it sure will take a lil while before it is up and running,
but there will be a Full Immigrations Office in Bavaro before this summer 2011,
the Property is already decided/rented,
it will be at Plaza de Brizas, right hand side on the Back/End, the rooms where before the Gym had been.

from then on new Residents in Bavarocan run the whole Residency Process right here, no more Drives to la Capital, the same for provisional new residencies and of course also for simple renewals of existing residencies.
Pa'lante que vamos, Por Fin, he he.

one of the so name "Oficial Honorable de Migracion", kicked in from the Local Naval Intelligence Division/M2, is btw a 'very nice Guy', he speaks half a dozen of languages, he even posts on DR1 in the Clown Bin once in a while,
so I would say it looks like after Decades of BS crappy hassles We may get some nice acceptable Gubmint Services even overe here in the lil Campo named Punta Cana.

Pa'lante Muchachos

Mike

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Great info. I will do it...well soon. 2K and then its valid forhow many years? I will renew it as long as possible.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
From the Malecon and February ave (or whatever ) HOW DO YOU GET TO THE BUILDING FOR CEDULA RENEWAL???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
new office location:
as you drive on a rotunda and pass a huge JCE building (sort of peachy color, plenty of banderas in the front) turn right. drive straight about 150 meters. there will be another peachy building with more banderas. it has no signs but it is a JCE for extranjeros. the offices are on a second floor. takes minutes, really.

DR Mpe:
i did not know you could ask to have your cedula extended for longer but mine is good for 2 years. so 2k for new cedula plus 1k for passing the vencimiento. the longer is cedula for the more you pay, they have tarifas posted on the wall.

mike:
8 hours drive (back and forth) to spend 25 minutes in SD. wrrrrrrrr...... :tired:
at least i went to ikea and got myself a can of herring :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
new office location:

mike:
8 hours drive (back and forth) to spend 25 minutes in SD. wrrrrrrrr...... :tired:
at least i went to ikea and got myself a can of herring :)

It does beg the question that in the days of computers and the Internet why this could not be handled in ANY JCE office.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't get me started on this. i have a motion sickness and a trip like this is just pure suffering, i need a day to recover....

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
It does beg the question that in the days of computers and the Internet why this could not be handled in ANY JCE office.

Because heat has a serious negative effect on the brain. I have experienced it myself. It goes into standby mode now and then.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I am on my way to La Capital right now passing San Pedro, to get the Residencies for 4 friends done. I guess therewill be plenty of time to pass by the JCE and check the different Rates.

Mike

Great. let us know! Also let me know if there is some place, building, square etc, that a taxi driver know so I can tell him to go there. Street addresses never worked well with them. Thanks

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I stepped in there yesterday, even that I had nothing to do there for a renewal or so.
I've been told that that there is a "Pardon Period" for Foreigners with Expired Cedulas til End April, who want's to renew a long expired one after that Day get's a hefty Fine of 500 Pesos Per MONTH of Expiration.

right now the Renewal costs RD$2.500.- Pesos, the new Cedula is Valid for 7 Years.
Important Requirements to bring for Renewal:
*** Your Original Passport, not accepted in case it is Expired, compared to prior Years this requirement is New, at least myself I never needed to show my Passport for a Renewal
*** Up to Date Original Residency Card
*** the Old Cedula Card

I stepped into the office yesterday around 11:30AM, there been just around 20 People Waiting for their Turn to Renew their Cedula, so it looks like it is a quick thingy to do so, I would guess a 30-45 minutes of waiting Time, no Biggy.

as for way description for a Local Cabby Driver, this is very easy, because EVERY Cabby Driver in Santo Domingo know the Location of the "Junta Central Electoral".
He drives you there, the Building is located in a large Traffic Circle/Roundabout, You see the big Buil;ding clearly, on it written in Monster Letter "Junta Central Electoral".
once arrived in front of this building you don't stop, you let Your Driver drive on that Street, leave the Traffick Circle in the direction from where You cam from, and after around 250 meters you clearly see on Your Right Hand Side a Building with a lot of Dominican Flaggs out there, that's Your Building.
No Name/Zero Words written there, but You see the Flaggs and that's the Building.
You also see the Building before You arrive at the Traffick Circle, but then it is on the other side of the several Lanes Road, no possibility to make a Turn there, so You drive the Circle and come back on that other side to stop at the Building with the Flaggs.
I would guess that Cabby Drivers also know that Newer Building in Specific, as they have Daily visitors who drive exactly to that Place.
it is named "Junta Central Electoral para Extranjeros".

Mike

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
Would like to get, permanent residency;temporary one expired 9 mths ago. Has anyone done theirs recently and could you share your experience?
Can it be done in Santiago? Thanks

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Renewed residency for 2 years yesterday. Cost 4,000 pesos plus 1,000 for VIP / priority treatment plus 100 for form.
Place was packed. 20 person queues at the counters. Took in total arriving at 8.30 just over 3 hours. People arriving a little later could be waiting much longer.
It used to be that any office could renew gringo residency : but now only Santo Domingo I think. Last time it took 15 minutes.
Yanandu.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
What about getting permanent residency? is it any different? what papers i need to bring and how much to pay? Have anyone done this in Santiago?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Help needed to clarify and, more importantly, accompany...

I have read this thread in some detail (more than once!) and I am still a little confused on certain points so wonder if those that know could please clarify some of my queries?

My situation is this: Went through good lawyer and I got my first permanent residency in August 2008 ? expired whilst I was in the UK (August 2010) and not renewed as yet. Cedula arranged and organised on same trip in August 2008 but, due to unfortunate circumstances, never got back to SD to collect so current cedula expired in December 2008 (on my birthday).

Residency:

1. Will I be able to renew (from August 2010) for more than 2 years?

2. If so, am I correct in thinking that cost will be RD$ 4000 for 2 years then RD$2500 for each additional 2 years (up to 10)? I would like to renew for at least 4 or 6 if possible.

3. I will have to pay RD$250 for each month overdue so from August 2010 ? April 2011 = 8 months, I will pay an additional RD$2000?

4. Is VIP (same day) plus RD$2000 or RD$1000?

5. The form costs RD$ 100?

6. I need to submit my application to renew my residency at the Immigration Office by 11.00 am at the latest to expect same day service?

7. What documents do I need to take?

Cedula:

1. Despite the computer showing that I owe RD$13500 for cedula being out of date since August 2008, I will pay only RD$1000 fine prior to 30th April?

2. Will my new cedula cost RD$2000 or RD$2500?

3. How long should I expect this cedula to be valid?

4. What documents do I need to take?

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, is anyone else planning to make the trip to Sto. Domingo for the purpose of renewing residency and/ or cedula prior to the end of April (bearing in mind Samana Santa) as the thought of going alone to undertake this task makes it a little prohibitive to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.