Bronze
May 18, 2002
Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Cedulas for residents are only in Santo Domingo unless there was a very recent change. There was a thread on this where it was described that they moved the office from the old loading dock area to a new location a couple of blocks away.

I guess the office that handles residents has not figured out how to network its computers so that this could be done where we live.

I renewed My Cedula in September 2010 in Bavaro/Punta Cana.
I got my receipt for that, Foto taken etc etc, but til today they do not Print out the New Cards here, so together with the receipt of the Renewals the Old Card stays Valid.
Rumors are out that They may not Print any new Cards here this whole Year and wait til they can issue the Biometric Ones.

just to clarify a often occuring Confusion,
Cedula's and Residency Cards are Issued and Renewed by 2 Different Agencies.
the Residency Card is Issued and Renewed by Immigrations,
the Cedula is issued and Renewed by JCE/Junta Central Electoral.
both have Independ from each others different Expiration Dates, both have a different "Use".

Mike

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Mike, giving your biometric data in Bavaro and getting a receipt is not the same as getting a new cedula.
Mine has been renewed (the old plastic form AND the receipt for giving the biometric data) in Santo Domingo until 2014 at a price of RD$1,200 in 2008.
A couple of friends of mine have expired cedulas and would like to know what the going rate for the cedula for foreigners is at this moment, including the fine. Their residency permits are up to date!

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Procedure in Sosua?

I have the cedula, expire 2010. What is the procedure in Sosua?

What do I need to bring? How much? and how long does it approximately takes? (not to get the new cedula but the procedure). Somebody said some rules changes soon so i need to do it now...

Thank you in advance for information.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i put a thread on expired cedulas. basically there is a short pardon perion with no late fees, only 1000 pesos to renew the cedula.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
i put a thread on expired cedulas. basically there is a short pardon perion with no late fees, only 1000 pesos to renew the cedula.

I think we should stick with this thread since it serves exactly this purpose.

I just went with some friends to the JCE office, "departamento de extranjeria" in Santo Domingo, the only office where foreigners can renew their cedulas. The persons with recently expired cedulas paid the normal fee of RD$2,000 for a new cedula valid until 2017, the ones with cedulas expired some time ago will be charged an additional RD$1,000 starting Tuesday next week.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as per JCE - if you do not renew expired cedula before 30th of april it will be suspended.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as per JCE - if you do not renew expired cedula before 30th of april it will be suspended.

and suspended means to go on the Hitlist.
could be hard to get one again in the future.

would be interesting to read if the Suspension of the Cedula will also mean that the Persons Residency would be suspended?
usually both depend one on an other and are not sheduled nor suspended separately.

if I read it right my next renovation of my cedula will cost 4000 pesos b'c my Residency is renewed for 10 years til 2021, so I hope they also renew the Cedula for a lengthy Time right away and not just for the til now usual 6 years as they did on my last 2 Cedula Cards.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband accidentally left his cedula in NJ and so yesterday morning he went down to the office in Centro de los Heroes/La Feria [he did have a photocopy of the old one]. He was back home in about an hour, new cedula in hand, no charge.

AE

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
My husband accidentally left his cedula in NJ and so yesterday morning he went down to the office in Centro de los Heroes/La Feria [he did have a photocopy of the old one]. He was back home in about an hour, new cedula in hand, no charge.

AE

Sounds like your husband is Dominican, different rules for foreigners.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Really?

I renewed My Cedula in September 2010 in Bavaro/Punta Cana.
I got my receipt for that, Foto taken etc etc, but til today they do not Print out the New Cards here, so together with the receipt of the Renewals the Old Card stays Valid.

REALLY Mike...
How did you do it in Bavaro? Friends went there and were told positively NO.....
The discimination against foreigners continues.....

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Sounds like your husband is Dominican, different rules for foreigners.

No kidding. 500 month in late fee. I wonder if this is just another government master plan. I saw a "prominent" dominican showing a cedula from 2006 in the bank yesterday. A valid passport should always been a valid cedula, identification, no?

All expired cedulas will be cancelled in April? Or just the maldita gringos?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I guess we need to be reminded that living here is a privilege and not a right! If the gov't wants to make us renew our cedulas then all the power to them. I have no problem with this.

Imagine the reaction to "foreigners" complaining in the USA that they are made to pay the fees and stay legal!!! Why are we complaining here. Good grief, follow the rules.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I guess we need to be reminded that living here is a privilege and not a right! If the gov't wants to make us renew our cedulas then all the power to them. I have no problem with this.

Imagine the reaction to "foreigners" complaining in the USA that they are made to pay the fees and stay legal!!! Why are we complaining here. Good grief, follow the rules.

absolutely correct.
Why the Fuss about the simple "need" to keep Documentations Up to Date and Renew on Time??

what would be a Reason Not to Do So???

I've been at the JCE office this Thursday, just 2 Days ago, asking about My Card to be printed, they still do not Print and will not do so before the "Deadline" in April passed.
I've been told If I want My New Card in Hands right now the only way to get it would be to drive to Santo Domingo, but no problem to wait til they Print it here i Bavaro, because My renewal from September 2010 is as Renewed in the System, My old Card showing the Expiration date 2010 stays Valid because I renewed.

Maybe They do also not Renew any more til the Deadline is Up, I don't know, I did not ask about that as it does not effect Myself at this moment.
But if the given Rule is that You have to Renew Now in St Domingo, go There and Do so.

as for Dominican Cedulas, which Foreigners anyways should not look on, because with What Right Foreigners would await the same Procedures for Themselfs than for Dominican Citizens???, here are still Cedulas out which show the Expiration Date of 2004, they are by Law/Ruling all Valid til the for Citizens given Deadlines of Renewal.

I do not understand in any Way the Fuss from some Foreigners about the Need to Renew Their Legal Papers required by DOMINICAN LAW for Foreign "Guests" on the Island.
and They are Simple and Easy.
Cedulas til now I needed to Renew only every 6 !!!!! Years, one Visit to Santo Domingo ever 6 !!! Years nobody can name a Overly "Hassle". Residencies are due for Renewal every 2 Years, and long Term Residents can Renew for even up to 10 !!! Years at Once Now, as I did this month, New Residency Card been issued the same Day and is now Valid til January 2021 !!!
til today I did never find any other Country where Foreigners could have come In sooo Easy and get legal Documentations sooo Easy as it is the Case in the Dominican Republic.

accept the Dominican Laws and Rules as they Are and Comply with the Requirements or simply Live elsewhere.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.