Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Record highs...... a dangerous situation

top-map-artboard-600.jpg

Reactions: qphotonyc

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Global average sea surface temperatures last month reached unprecedented levels for June. The north Atlantic Ocean recorded exceptionally warm sea surface temperatures, with several extreme marine heatwaves. These were related to short term changes in atmospheric circulation and longer-term changes in the ocean, according to analysis from the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S*).

So far this year, discussions of our oceans and climate have largely focused on the onset of El Niño, recently declared by the World Meteorological Organization, and its potential for pushing global temperatures into “uncharted territory” by the end of 2023 and into 2024. But in fact, we have already entered uncharted territory due to the exceptionally warm conditions in the north Atlantic Ocean.

« The temperatures in the North Atlantic are unprecedented and of great concern. They are much higher than anything the models predicted, » said Dr
Michael Sparrow, head of WMO’s World Climate Research Department. “This will have a knock on effect on ecosystems and fisheries and on our weather, » he said.

“The North Atlantic is one of the key drivers of extreme weather. With the warming of the Atlantic there is an increasing likelihood of more hurricanes and tropical cyclones. North Atlantic sea surface temperature is associated with heavy rain or drought in West Africa,” said Dr Baddour.

The marine heatwaves observed during June were likely a result of a combination of the short-term anomalous atmospheric circulation and longer-term changes, including variations in circulation and heat transport in the Atlantic, and the warming of our oceans due to climate change. Globally, mean sea surface temperature has increased, and continues to increase, since the pre-industrial era, while 90% of the extra heat associated with global warming has been taken up by the oceans.

The warm sea surface temperatures in the north Atlantic also impacted the Atlantic hurricane season, which officially began on 1 June, and has already seen three named storms, including two simultaneously, which is exceptionally rare for June.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If climate conditions in the DR become intolerable, I’m sure I could finagle a Newfoundland visa for you Bill. It will happen here but much slower. Your badge of honour is your prolific knowledge of rum. That knowledge will open many doors for you here should you decide to visit us. 😂

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Add to that that a carry a Cdn passport.................. I've never tried Screech
Not the best but my Uncle Gene’s favourite libation. A concoction made for NL consumption only. Same for the Newman port Wines. You’re not going to see these products in the DR supermercados. One of the potential side effects of ocean warming is a decrease in icebergs. We use the water from them to make some of our rums and vodkas. Decent products actually.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Check out the red in Hudson Bay and the Arctic ocean.
I wonder why temps in the waters surrounding Antarctica was left off the map.
The ice is melting there even faster than in the north
Once all the icebergs melt away how will we ever get them back?
Or have we actually arrived at the point of no return?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Check out the red in Hudson Bay and the Arctic ocean.
I wonder why temps in the waters surrounding Antarctica was left off the map.
The ice is melting there even faster than in the north
Once all the icebergs melt away how will we ever get them back?
Or have we actually arrived at the point of no return?
Got a message yesterday from a neighbor who arrived in Germany from DR. Said he had to turn on the heat in the house as it was down to 17 Celsius (62 degrees)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's hot somewhere, it's cold somewhere.
The wheel hasn't been reinvented and sliced bread is still for sale.
We are living in times where the Climate Changes just as it did for or fathers, grandfathers and great great grandfathers.
Not a darn difference

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's hot somewhere, it's cold somewhere.
The wheel hasn't been reinvented and sliced bread is still for sale.
We are living in times where the Climate Changes just as it did for or fathers, grandfathers and great great grandfathers.
Not a darn difference
Most people who have studied climate science professionally for years would disagree with you.

What I do know is that I can't remember a summer as hot as this before in the DR.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
After a real scorching ..... they were HOT !!!
It is the extremes that are killers.
From one day to the next (in my part of the world) there was a change of approximately 30 degrees, if you take into account the heat index humidity factor it was more like a differential of 40 degrees.
Temps all over the world are all over the map.
Climate moderation is going the way of the dodo bird...it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.