Official says houses for illegal aliens in Dominican territory ?illegal?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominican Republic can’t continue under Haiti’s ‘blackmail’

Santo Domingo.- Chamber of Deputies president Abel Martinez on Wednesday said the Dominican Republic is a victim of disrespect and blackmail from Haiti, and warned the authorities to keep "a close eye" on what’s occurring at the border so it doesn’t spiral out of control.

He urged the Haitian government or the sectors involved in the alleged "evil" plot against the country to put a halt on it to avert greater evils.

Martinez said the “Haitian problem” must be addressed with sincerity, responsibility and assume the consequences and whatever it takes to defend the country’s sovereignty.

"The Dominican Republic can’t continue to withstand so much blackmail, that cannot be, we’re not a joke, we’re a country with great dignity and we have to demonstrate so. We cannot continue to allow this barrage of blackmail," the lawmaker said during yesterday’s session.

Martinez’s statement comes after a group of Haitians abducted several staff of the Dominican Consulate in the Haitian town of Anse-a-Pitre on January 2, for which there must be punishment, and called Haiti as a "failed state."

He also slammed international agencies and countries which he affirms seek to build two hospitals on the Dominican side of the border to provide services to undocumented Haitians- works he suggests should be erected in Haitian territory.

"They’re waiting for a catastrophe to occur to continue condemning the Dominican Republic because we defend our sovereignty, then we’ll defend it; and the mockery of international organizations and the countries trying to blackmail the Dominican Republic, must stop now," said a visibly annoyed Martinez.

Sectors demand action

Institutionalism and Justice Foundation (Finjus) vice president Servio Tulio Casta?os Guzm?n, opposition PRD party president Miguel Vargas and prominent attorney Ju?rez Castillo voiced similar complaints after a session in Congress on Wednesday.

Operation

The Defense Ministry on Wednesday announced “Operation Shield," on heightened security along the 370 Km. border.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...Republic-cant-continue-under-Haitis-blackmail

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans upset with Canadians

Government authorities have decided to appoint a commission to investigate the migration status of around 1,200 Haitians, for whom a Canadian charitable organization, The Samaritan Foundation, reportedly built around 250 homes in Montellano, Puerto Plata province.

The Deputy Minister of Naturalization and Migration has said that members of the Ministry of Interior and Police will visit the project to investigate the case over the next few days.

Diario Libre broke the story in its Tuesday, 6 January 2015 issue.

The decision to set up the commission was announced yesterday, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 by the Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul who said the project was "difficult to believe." He commented that the foreign NGO was violating migration laws by providing permanent housing to undocumented foreigners, and warned that from 30 June of this year, foreigners who have not at least begun the process of legalizing their status under the National Regularization Plan would be deported, "whether they have a house or not".

A PRSC councilor in Sosua, Arismendy Medina, is mentioned as having helped with the construction of the houses, but party president Federico Antun Batlle criticized the fact that housing was being built for people who did not comply with legal requirements.

"If it is to help the poor and build houses for the poor, we respect that, if it is to settle illegals we fully reject that because this country has to be respected and when they are so many Dominicans who need homes, we cannot give them to foreigners who are in the country illegally", said Antun.

The Canadian embassy in the country had no comment either for or against the community that they had set up in Montellano.

Press reports indicate that in October 2014, the president of the Democratic Christian Union (UDC) in Barahona, had warned of the Canadian ambassador's plans to set up a shelter for undocumented Haitians in the province and other places around the country, as reported in Diario Libre.

Senator Dionis Sanchez said that there were no political refugees in the country and that this housing project is a violation of the Constitution.

He advised The Samaritan Foundation to implement the project in Haiti where many people need it. PRM Deputy Cristian Encarnacion agreed, saying that Haiti was where this type of project was really needed. He recalled that there were still thousands of victims in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.

Las autoridades deciden investigar el caso del barrio de haitianos ilegales - DiarioLibre.com

Legisladores se oponen a supuesto asentamiento de ilegales haitianos en el pa?s -

Canadienses construyen barrio para haitianos indocumentados - DiarioLibre.com

https://www.facebook.com/TheSamaritanFoundation

Source DR1 news

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your Dominican bias against "Haitianos" is STILL showing!!!!!!!
My god, you haven't lived here for DECADES, let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
These foreign aid groups are workig under the disguise of "helping the poor." which of
course Dominican officials are assuming they mean poor Dominicans when in truth
there is a plan to keep the illegal Haitians i Dominican territory. Now that they realize
the regularization plan is not working in their favor they are resorting to other means
by urging thousands of Haitians to cross the border into the DR stating that they can
become regularize (automatic) knowing full well what the requirements are.

Be on the look out as the time for the amnesty comes to a close (in June) for a strong
international campaign (again) when the DR begins deporting to condemn the DR. But
notice how other carribean countries including the US are deporting Haitians and they do
not receive such an international campaign.

The DR needs to kick the NGO's out of the country. They are the trouble makers.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Your Dominican bias against "Haitianos" is STILL showing!!!!!!!
My god, you haven't lived here for DECADES, let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Your Hatred of Dominicans is STILL showing, My God LET IT GO! Get out of the DR!

Any time a Dominican says anything about Haitians it bothers you, too bad! Suck it up!

Get it through your thick head, I am Dominican whether I live there or not!

Now go crawl back underneath your rock!

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
These foreign aid groups are workig under the disguise of "helping the poor." which of
there is a plan to keep the illegal Haitians i Dominican territory. Now that they realize
the regularization plan is not working in their favor they are resorting to other means
by urging thousands of Haitians to cross the border into the DR stating that they can

Be on the look out as the time for the amnesty comes to a close (in June) for a strong
international campaign (again) when the DR begins deporting to condemn the DR. But
notice how other carribean countries including the US are deporting Haitians and they do

Those darn Canadians always trying to help HUMANS. How sad ;)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Those darn Canadians always trying to help HUMANS. How sad ;)

You are not understanding Anna. They are not saying not to help the poor but if the
DR has made the regularization plan possible, why not help them by taking them
to get regularized instead of defying authority by making homes in the DR for illegals?

Why not in Haiti? Yes, it's sad when it's not done the correct way.

Where are the NGO's now when illegal Haitians need them with the regularization
plan? They bashed the DR and now that illegal Haitians have an opportunity to
become legal they are "no where to be found."

Last edited:

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014

I agree 100%.

The situation is coming to a head and Wally from the US Embassy just had some high level meetings with DR officials. Nothing good can come out of those meetings.

DR needs to worry less about car stickers and beef up patrols and checkpoints along the border.

May 12, 2005
Bottom line, if Canada wanted to build homes for Haitians, they should have done it in Haiti or Ottawa. Not in DR, given the current situation and the uncertain immigration status of most Haitians residing in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First of all its not Canada that is building the homes but a Canadian charity and Canada and Canadians are doing plenty in Haiti. Second- plenty of Haitians in Canada.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
First of all its not Canada that is building the homes but a Canadian charity and Canada and Canadians are doing plenty in Haiti. Second- plenty of Haitians in Canada.

Semantics Bob.... We're all aware that it's a charity building these houses. Yesterday on FB someone posted that they, and other WestJet employees, had come down to help build the houses, and ended the post with "Uh Oh". Their hearts are in the right place, it's just the houses that aren't.

They should be built in Haiti, or they should be built for poor Dominicans - there are plenty of those around.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You can put a band aid on a gun shot but ya still gonna bleed to death.
These houses should have been built in Haiti.

May 12, 2005
Semantics Bob.... We're all aware that it's a charity building these houses. Yesterday on FB someone posted that they, and other WestJet employees, had come down to help build the houses, and ended the post with "Uh Oh". Their hearts are in the right place, it's just the houses that aren't.

They should be built in Haiti, or they should be built for poor Dominicans - there are plenty of those around.

To me, it's akin to feeding stray cats. We all know what happens after that.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Its too bad the charity funds were not used to subsidize & assist Haitians for the naturalization process.

May 29, 2006
I know, go to the border regions and ask anyone with dark skin to say perejil. If they say it right, they can stay, if not, well...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the idea is sound but there is no knowledge of dominican reality, really. i understand wanting to help the poor even if such warmth of heart is foreign to my frozen cardiac coal. so it happens that haitians are poor. the shoe fits. but this is not the time and place to wear it. whoever made those charitable plans seem to have little idea about social, economic and political situation regarding DR and haiti relationship...

and really, all the governments getting their knickers in the twist over naturalization policy should invite haitians to their own countries and deal with them there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I beg to differ. There a big difference between a foreign government building houses in another country without the official sanction of the host country, and private citizens doing the same thing. Yes , the houses should be built in Haiti but then the donors would have to spend their vacation in Haiti, and most don't seem to want to do this, regardless of what country they are from.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have to disagree with this. I, as a gringo, and a Haitian employee of mine are both trying to complete the regularizacion process. We both have the documentation required according to the DR government's literature, and more, but we keep getting sent back to get more. I am employing a lawyer to help me but my employee can't afford this and I think he is on the verge of giving up, which is presumably what the Dominican officials want. In my Haitian employee's case, there is no delay caused by the Haitian government.

You employed a lawyer and still are sent back for more documents? Get another lawyer! Or better, don't use a lawyer. I was amazed today in Migracion how many (even Spanish speaking) foreigners bring a lawyer even to only renew their residence. If you really WANT to throw money away please throw it my way!