Official says houses for illegal aliens in Dominican territory ?illegal?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The regularitation plan was created for all the foreigners, is not a plan for haitians, even the truth is that almost 100%of the foreigners ilegal in the Dominican Republic are Haitians. The forist Mountain said that the papers are not translated in Creole, I have to tell her that is not translated in creole is because the plan is for Dominican Regularization so our oficial language is Spanish and this plan is not only for Haitians.

No country in the world make a regularization plan for free, Dominican goverment is taking the money from the pocket of all the tax payer and we are still the bad ones.

I think if the charity want to Help they all really should go to Haitian side and make the houses there, after the earthquake there are millions of people without homes, also help them to get their documentations so will be possible for them to apply. There is not country in the world that can give legal residence to some body that do not have any ID, in Haiti there are arround 6 millions of people that do not have identifications papers but those Haitians not body care about them but they want us as Dominians give them documents as Dominicans when our constitution says that just because you was born in Dominican you are not Dominican.

Ilegal Haitians came to here to use the Health care services for free, but not body cares when a Dominian as poor as the Haitians goes to a Hospital and can not get a bed just because is occuped by an Ilegal Haitian. We have millions of people as poor as the Haitians and we can not support all the ilegals Haitians using services that are suppose to be used for the poor Dominicans as poor as Haitians, the problem is not that they are Haitians the problems is that they are Ilegals, and we as a poor country can not handle putting in our shoulders also the Haitians problems.

European Union is going to build 2 hospitals in the border so now we have to make sure they make it in the Haitian side.

If all those internationals organization really wanted to help Haiti, they should go there and help them to create all the conditions that make them to grow in the same way we have been doing, creating jobs, making schools, hospitals and documentations as Haitians, give them the tools to grow, the same way we are doing Helping Haiti to develop their turism and with the reforestation.

and I say againg the problem is not they are Haitians, the problem is they are ilegals.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Years after the earthquake, there?s still a shocking amount of people who are still living in tents in Haiti. These Ngos should go and build homes there!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Corrected Comment

I agree with most here, the homes should have been built in Haiti if they were so concerned about them. Its a slap in the face to the many poor Dominican families that live in that area. I haven't seen too many Dominicans protesting or complaining about it in Monte Llano either because if it had bothered them so much, they would have been clashing with those people already!

EVERYONE had to go through hassles to get their provisional and permanent residencies in the DR, and if they have to go through more because they are undocumented, so be it...enough with the hand-outs!

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You employed a lawyer and still are sent back for more documents? Get another lawyer! Or better, don't use a lawyer. I was amazed today in Migracion how many (even Spanish speaking) foreigners bring a lawyer even to only renew their residence. If you really WANT to throw money away please throw it my way!

No - I didn't use a lawyer at first because the regularizacion process looked pretty straightforward from the literature. Only when I was sent away and told to get further documentation did I decide it was better to get some legal advice. Thank you for your advice on how to spend my money, but I can assure you I have no desire to line the pockets of lawyers unnecessarily. If it helps me to complete the process I will consider it money well spent. For example, one of the documents I have been told I need (although it is one of several options according to the literature) is proof of residency from the local junta. Haitians where I live are being blocked from getting this by the junta. My lawyer knows the relevant people and can get it for me.

To Bronzeallspice - I went to the office meeting all the criteria, one of which is being able to write Spanish, which I can do at least as well as most Dominicans I know. When I told the immigration guy that this was one of my qualifying factors, he just laughed. Similarly, it says you can produce a bill proving you have bought at least 20,000 pesos worth of furniture. This was just discarded. Matricula for car ownership? Not good enough - you have to get a special letter from the vehicle office. Certificate of good conduct? Not good enough - get a second copy for some reason. Bank statements? Not good enough - get a special letter from the bank. These are just some of the obstacles I encountered as a gringo. How can a working Haitian without the time and financial resources that I have overcome things like these?

May 29, 2006
Years after the earthquake, there?s still a shocking amount of people who are still living in tents in Haiti. These Ngos should go and build homes there!

I was checking out the "T-shelters" they were designing for Haiti after the quake. No concept of using local materials and they were charging huge import duties on any imported material. Sheets of plywood were double and triple what they cost in the US and it's not a good building material for the island. They were coming up with $4000 designs for 100 sq ft buildings and patting themselves on the shoulders.. Look, glass windows.. fancy..

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
No -To Bronzeallspice - I went to the office meeting all the criteria, one of which is being able to write Spanish, which I can do at least as well as most Dominicans I know. When I told the immigration guy that this was one of my qualifying factors, he just laughed. Similarly, it says you can produce a bill proving you have bought at least 20,000 pesos worth of furniture. This was just discarded. Matricula for car ownership? Not good enough - you have to get a special letter from the vehicle office. Certificate of good conduct? Not good enough - get a second copy for some reason. Bank statements? Not good enough - get a special letter from the bank. These are just some of the obstacles I encountered as a gringo. How can a working Haitian without the time and financial resources that I have overcome things like these?

I have heard a lot time that Dominicans are asking for too much to apply for regularitation plan bedside that this one like no other is for free for every body?

What the USA, Canada, or European Union ask for to regularize an ilegal?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
USA, Canada and European Union do not have such schemes as far as I know. The point I am trying to make is that the Dominican government SAYS they have this relatively simple process for regularizacion, but in reality they put so many obstacles in the way, over and above the stated requirements in their own official literature, that it is virtually impossible for most of the people for whom it is supposed to exist. Just look at the very small number of people who have managed to succeed so far, out of the many thousands who have attempted it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have heard a lot time that Dominicans are asking for too much to apply for regularitation plan bedside that this one like no other is for free for every body?

What the USA, Canada, or European Union ask for to regularize an ilegal?

Without speaking of illegals and haitians........
A dominicana marrys a french or swiss man, POOF, gets papers to live in said country with husband.
Same husband wants residency in the dr....... jump through hoops, vault hurddles.......oh and yeah, what country requires a spouses clean bill of health and drug tests...... I mean give us break ( more on that tomorrow or following days when I have my cedula in hand, not to jinx myself again.... ).
Go figure.....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
And who's fault is that? Why aren't the NGO's and other groups helping out and seeing
that the regularization is written in creole or whatever language is understood to them?

The obstacles are in trying to get the documents required which has nothing to do with
the DR but in the difficulties obtaining them from their home countries. If there would
have been a problem on the DR side you can bet that the headlines would be screaming
discrimination. Plus various organizations including the UN said that they would be
supervising the process to make sure that Haitians were being treated fairly. So everything
must be going as planned.

Every country has their rules and regulations, everyone must abide by them whether or not in other
countries it may be easier.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And who's fault is that? Why aren't the NGO's and other groups helping out and seeing
that the regularization is written in creole or whatever language is understood to them?
Two or three of the INGOs I am most familiar with are doing this as we speak.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Without speaking of illegals and haitians........
A dominicana marrys a french or swiss man, POOF, gets papers to live in said country with husband.
Same husband wants residency in the dr....... jump through hoops, vault hurddles.......oh and yeah, what country requires a spouses clean bill of health and drug tests...... I mean give us break ( more on that tomorrow or following days when I have my cedula in hand, not to jinx myself again.... ).
Go figure.....

I saw a video last year regarding an anti-immigration initiative in Switzerland. A lot of people want the amount of immigrants to be limited.
And this is regarding LEGAL IMMIGRATION. Even though this is not DR related, since you brought up the example of a Swiss citizen, my point is that all over the world, countries are getting more and more concerned regarding immigration.

Couldn't find the exact same one I saw last year, but this is another one regarding the topic
[video=youtube;yejcEP2nZAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejcEP2nZAs[/video]

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I saw a video last year regarding an anti-immigration initiative in Switzerland. A lot of people want the amount of immigrants to be limited.
And this is regarding LEGAL IMMIGRATION. Even though this is not DR related, since you brought up the example of a Swiss citizen, my point is that all over the world, countries are getting more and more concerned regarding immigration.

Couldn't find the exact same one I saw last year, but this is another one regarding the topic
[video=youtube;yejcEP2nZAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejcEP2nZAs[/video]

It is very true ( even if the last popular initiative didnt get voted though ).
Just saying that the amount of administrative hassle, even if u are legal and married with a dr citizen in the dr, is unbelievable.

And we are comparing apple and oranges in this case. People immigrating for economic reasons ( like the haitians to the dr ), and people inter-country wedding.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Interesting story DRstock.. certainly the reality is that the approvals are all in the hands of the officials but I am surprised that they are giving you.. a gringo?... such a hard time. The numbers do not lie, of course, and the very few who have been approved show that so far there has not been much "good will" behind this effort, despite what is written on paper.

These houses are evidently in an old bateye.. and those "residents" .. or perhaps .. what do we call them? Third generation illegal immigrant? .. were given an even SHORTER time to regularize their status when logic would dictate that they should have been given the longest time. They were only given 90 days. And then that was extended by another 90 days,.I think that time has expired now.

It is really too bad that this is turning out so badly. I had great hopes for the program. Had thought that all the folks born on the former bateyes -- the ones who were born and educated here.. would really be given a chance to become legal.

well,.. Obama has put a temporary stop to some deportations (although he was king of deportations before this) .. per the questions about the USA... Obama offers amnesty to 5 million illegal immigrants, defies GOP - Washington Times

The DR has withdrawn from the InterAmerican Court.. which kept ruling against it. JURIST - Dominican Republic leaves Inter-American Court of Human Rights

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know two non-Haitians going through the regularisation process. Their lawyer sounds like a twit. One of the requirements for demonstrating links with the country lists a number of options, and the website quite clearly states that one of the options is enough. The list includes a letter from a sports or social club, school, church, etc. These people are not churchgoers yet the lawyer insists they have to get a letter from a local priest/pastor, when it is clear that a letter from one of the other community institutions on the list is acceptable.