Overstay/Exit fine went up last week?!?!?!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm glad to see that this has all these minds working....

RD is no dummy.... the popular overstay period went up 4x....

the rest, not as much

but they don't know what they're doing, right ?

All the financial wizards need to start factoring the devaluation of the peso.
Let's talk about this in today's dollars.......... or not

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
sorry not a big poster and tried to reply with quote but didnt work. it was for bob barker

you sound like a really angry person. the united states has a secure border? what rock have you been living under the last few years. sounds like you are a big fan of the IMF. i guess we had different economic professors. instead of the old canadian winter, i assume most people will head to mexico for up to six months without penalty. without snow birds puerto plata is in serious trouble. dominican republic will have something for upto 6 months with a yet unknown exit fee.

i know quite a few people that will be affected in sosua that dont have the money or documents to get legal and have a few enemies; cant wait to see all the people ratting other people out after the official laws goes into effect. my advice to everyone is no matter what tell people you have a cedula

good luck

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have to believe that when the next official announcement is made, there will be a process for those who wish to stay more than 30 days but less than 6 months (aka snowbirds) exempting them from exit fees if they purchase an extended tourist visa or some such document at the airport when they arrive. Probably at the same booth as the weekly tourists.

This first round of exit fee increases does hit the short-timers harder (cuz this is the group that encompasses most "offenders") but the subsequent increases should focus more on the 6+ month crowd.

Apr 10, 2006
I paid 1,000 pesos overstay fee for my son. He was there for 5+ months left from STI on Oct. 26.

I found that very reasonable.

Are these new overstay fees published any where?

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I paid 1,000 pesos overstay fee for my son. He was there for 5+ months left from STI on Oct. 26.

see my post #41:
just now I looked into the migracion-site, here all the new tarifs:

http://www.migracion.gob.do/web/tarifas10-14.pdf

PRORROGA UNICA DE PERMANENCIA (ESTADIA)
CP-PP-OI-OI 1 D?A A 3 MESES 2,500.00
CP-PP-01-02 3 A 9 MESES 4,000.00
CP-PP-01-03 9 A 12 MESES 5,000.00
CP-PP-01-04 12 A 18 MESES 6,500.00
CP-PP-01-05 18 A 24 MESES 8,000.00
CP-PP-01-06 24 A 30 MESES 9,500.00
CP-PP-01-07 30 A 36 MESES 11,000.00
CP-PP-01-08 36 A 48 MESES 16,000.00
CP-PP-01-09 48 A 60 MESES 20,000.00
CP-PP-01-10 6 A?OS 30,000.00
CP-PP-01-11 7 A?OS 40,000.00
CP-PP-01-12 8 A?OS 50,000.00
CP-PP-01-13 9 A?OS 60,000.00
CP-PP-01-14 10 ANOS 70,000

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

there will be several people who were 'last through' the old system and others who were 'first through' the new system

they shouldn't argue with each other aboput whether it happened or not...

luck of the draw/day as to when it was implemented and where

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It does make sense. Thing about it in this way. Who are the biggest offenders of overstaying?......The snowbirds. Apart from trying to secure their borders they see it as a way to make money. Please the IMF and make money a win win situation. Most illegals are not in a position to return to their countries for a variety of reasons so becoming legal is their only option. Or at least the more inexpensive choice. Do the math and BTW it's very simple. Between a plane ticket and restarting you old life in your home country which is more cost effective? Pay the monies to become legal or return to your home country and start over again?...........The latter not a option for most. Do any of you really think the Dominican Gov't wanted this? No they were backed into a corner to play ball with the powers that be.

You are correct, the DR gov't did/does not want this, they are being forced to do it.(I did post the article in another thread)

The world economy is faltering and countries would love for their citizens to be or go back home and
spend money on their economy instead of spending money on other countries economy. As a result
it is being made difficult to acquire residency or citizenship in the DR but the empire aka the USA is
behind it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You are correct, the DR gov't did/does not want this, they are being forced to do it.(I did post the article in another thread)

The world economy is faltering and countries would love for their citizens to be or go back home and
spend money on their economy instead of spending money on other countries economy. As a result
it is being made difficult to acquire residency or citizenship in the DR but the empire aka the USA is
behind it.

In my case, I lived in france but am a british citizen. French goverment ( local, ie commume ), told me they dont need or want to know where their citizen go. When u come back and rent, u pay local taxes, when u leave, u dont. British gvt is not intrested either. Go and come as u please, they said.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
In my case, I lived in france but am a british citizen. French goverment ( local, ie commume ), told me they dont need or want to know where their citizen go. When u come back and rent, u pay local taxes, when u leave, u dont. British gvt is not intrested either. Go and come as u please, they said.

Good for you or Europeans but not so with Americans. But the changes cannot be
made to target Americans as it will appear to be biased. So the rules apply to all.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You are forgetting some other perks the residency gives you:

- You are able to work, even for your own company, legally
- You can get inexpensive medical insurance (offered by the same private insurance companies) same as every employee, which covers pre-existing conditions and pregnancy for you and all your family at one single inexpensive cost!
- You can get a Dominican driver's license and drive legally without always having Sword of Damocles hanging over your head with "what-if"?
- You can sue in Dominican court without having to pay deposits and guarantees
- You can just move around more freely without having to think some *** cop will try to get money from you based on your illegal status
- Can transact in general life much easier
- You can build your credit history, which is only possible with cedula number

And many other things

Oh, I know the benefits, although I do not seem to make the most of them. I was referring to the comment about being cheaper either way. With the yearly renewal fees I am not sure it is cheaper. What are yearly renewal fees compared to say 6 month over stay fees each year.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Also I applied for residency end of july ( still hasent come through, though ), and it seemed to me the dr gvt was actually trying to make life easy. ( by dr standards )... they even suggested I apply for citizenship straight after ( I didnt tell them I was dead poor and lived like a mountain man :laugh: ). As if they wanted foreigners to come and live here.

Also, never, ever have I felt discriminated ( as in "bah, illegal "), actually quite the contrary dealing with officials/police ( exception made for AMET, ay they rot slowly......).

Well we will see.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

behind it.

Not just the USA the European Union as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
here's my rationale...

I am a Cdn citizen.... left Canada in 1995 for the US

Stayed in the US ( thru a visa, not Green Card) until 2008 or so

Looked for a country of residence without onerous requirements... minimum stay, minimum investment, type of thing

RD fits the bill..

I just felt that I needed to be a resident somewhere..
not Canada and I was out of status in the USA

As it turns out, maybe I don't need it.

I needed a car in Canada which necessitated a Cdn licence for insurance purposes
to get that, I had to forfeit my US driving licence.

So, now I carry a Cdn passport and Driv Licence...
but - I also have an RD licence.

In retrospect, the RD residency wasn't necessary
who really asks who where you live.... for official purposes?

I felt then , that I need a residence country

I have no regrets

but for those of complaining about rules/regs in RD
you should have been with me when the US gov't was on my case about crossing the border in a US vehicle owned by a non-resident...... verboten.....

It was a fast dance to export the car to Canada (2 actually)... pay all the taxes AGAIN after paying US sales tax....

This country thing and your status in any given country are taken VERY seriously by the country in question.

I have lived it......
not recommended as a casual encounter

RD has a tourist mentality so is more lenient (IMO) than many other nations.

The 'Big Boys' have bigger bats and hit harder.... it can really hurt

not just a little financial slap on the wallet like an exit fee

dropshort

May 18, 2008
This is just a suggestion. Stop calling it a fine* as in penalty for bad behavior and,
start calling calling it a tax, meaning we are in charge and can do what we want!!!!

You are confusing people in several languages.

I still think there should be a fine* for making up ad hoc acronyms.

DS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yup ---
it's an 'overstay charge'.... or 'fee'... plain and simple
posted in advance. rules are clear.... may change at any time

what's new ??

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
That's the way I always interpreted it. I'm not here illegally as long as I pay the tax when I leave. I have no reason to get residency. Especially not for five people. It has no benefit to me at all, and is a huge undertaking. I already pay plenty for the public services I use.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
As long as the dollar keeps going up we are fine 44 today come on 50.
It was at 34 when I first started coming and payed 1000 exit tax $29 now it is 44 and pay 2500 exit tax $56 so it went up $27.
Not a big deal . But come on 50! :)

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
As long as the dollar keeps going up we are fine 44 today come on 50.
It was at 34 when I first started coming and payed 1000 exit tax $29 now it is 44 and pay 2500 exit tax $56 so it went up $27.
Not a big deal . But come on 50! :)