Pizza Hut on Calle Conde is no more

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Outback, Dominican beef or imported USDA beef? Would i need to order triple rare to get a nice medium rare steak?

Supposedly imported.

I always get the 'prime rib' when I go. Tastes OK, but I never sit at home thinking I'd like to jump in the car and go eat some prime rib there.

Remember to order it baked, or they'll fry it to death like good Dominican line chefs do.

I haven't seen Nathan's hot dogs in a while. I'd bet when the chain went, they went too.

BTW Bigbird, have you tried SBG in Downtown Center? Gotta put that on your list.

http://www.sbggroup.com.do/new/restaurantes/

Last edited:

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Yep. That was Wendy's first attempt on the island.

They also had one on Maximo Gomez just south of the universities and another over on Venezuela (I think)

They all shut down for a few years back during Hipolitos run.

The Wendys on Juan Sanchez(Corner of maximo gomez subway entrance) is still open. They did close the Sbarros pizza place that was inside that building.

What i don't understand is why these fast food companies charge american prices while theyre paying dominican wages. Well I get it but they should be able to stay in business off of that alone. Crooks

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Supposedly imported.

I always get the 'prime rib' when I go. Tastes OK, but I never sit at home thinking I'd like to jump in the car and go eat some prime rib there.

Remember to order it baked, or they'll fry it to death like good Dominican line chefs do.

I haven't seen Nathan's hot dogs in a while. I'd bet when the chain went, they went too.

BTW Bigbird, have you tried SBG in Downtown Center? Gotta put that on your list.

http://www.sbggroup.com.do/new/restaurantes/

Need not say no more, I will take your word on it. No have not tried the SBG but will look into into.

Last two good finds are Alfresco Restaurante ............. https://www.facebook.com/AlfrescoRD/

and the new Pasta Pronto in Agora. Don't order them huge meatballs as they are actually miniature bowling balls. Just me but never acquired a taste for Dominican beef, either way too dry or doble overcooked. Chicken and pork is another story.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
The Wendys on Juan Sanchez(Corner of maximo gomez subway entrance) is still open. They did close the Sbarros pizza place that was inside that building.

What i don't understand is why these fast food companies charge american prices while theyre paying dominican wages. Well I get it but they should be able to stay in business off of that alone. Crooks
The money that they save in labor costs gets negated by the cost of importing every food component/ingredient.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
sorry for the lousy pic.....

I should have snapped up a pic before I got started gobbling down this piece of sausage. I always thought Dominicans don't have much of a liking for seasoned hot foods. Whoa wrong again. La Carrnita does the pick out the meat case and they grill it up on the spot. A few months ago I was in there and while ordering I saw them making up their own sausage on site so tonight I added one sausage to my order. Dude says "picante", I say si. Well it wasn't like Mexican Hot but this sausage was fantastic. Only regret I should have order a few more and maybe cut back on the number of ribs i ordered.

Whoa, those little red arrows didn't turn out too great. Too lazy to try to fix it so please understand. Yummy, yummy....

122mgd1.jpg

La Carrinta, leave Agora Mall heading south. First block with traffic light hook a right, three or four blocks in it will be on the corner left hand side. Open till midnight.

Maybe time to start a sticky of Best Eating in SD?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
not for sure but 2 blocks up from Paco's/Grands on north side. might have been 3. Hell we even had a McDonalds an Burger King at one time on El Conde. Burger King was across from Paco's/Grands an the McDonalds was on south side down by Petrus, There was also a Wendy's in plaza españa by the museo jamon. Pata Palo did not exist at that time,

viiq39.jpg

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
LOL, I have no problem with el conde at all. Matter of fact I enjoy el conde otherwise I would not go there that often. El conde is what it is, no more no less. A closed off to automobile traffic pedestrian walkway. The most exciting day is cruise ship day to watch the people snap pictures and gawk cuz nice to remember my first visits to el conde when I did the same.

Dominicans from the campo love el conde simply because it is a day in the big city.

WE go to El Conde (Hotel Penalba) atleast three times a year. The walk on the conde is very nice...love the live wall on parking garage... watching people walking and the live music buskers. Sitting on the balcony with a bottle of wine and fresh fruit from LeNacional ; Even bought an icecream. For the most part the conde is safe and well lit (finally). Last time bought a pizza for the family (i am not a pizza lover). But for shopping ; not sure what that really means ..... when I need something I buy it.... hate wandering about in shopping centers aimlessly for the sake of 'whatever'. But Conde is one of my favorite places to visit sit back and relax for a few days. Just my personal observation and opinion.