Police Killed and stations over run

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"The fact of the matter"? You mean "In my opinion".
View attachment 4560
You meant to say this?

From the article:

%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%99%D7%93%D7%942-1-1024x690.jpg

What does a photo at the border fence looks like when it captures some of the 118 that made it through in 2013? Like the one you posted?

It can be done. I guess that's the moral of the story.

Reactions: Michael DR

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The fact of the matter is that a wall between Haiti and the D.R would work. It is not perfect but it would mitigate illegal crossings. It would also drive up the cost of bribing your way across making it less attractive. Some see it as cruel most see it as the D.R protecting their sovereignty. What would be cruel is a minefield across the island because dopes would still try to cross.
Well you could clear cut a swath of land on the border. Bury a bunch of coffee cans. Lable the area as "mine field", just to see what happens.

• Sad

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
wouldn't work. There is only 73 people over there that can read. You would have to put up voodoo dolls with missing limbs every 20 feet.
I wanted to show the symbol for explosives but alas I couldn't. Anyway ... even they would understand that.

• Sad

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
mountainannie .I have read your reports and comments for many many years and your kindness and thoughtfulness for others shine through them and I can imagine the stress the situation must be causing you and added to this are the postings here that are cruel and surely must add to your dismay. I am not a francophile but I hope that I can go to my grave saying that I lived a good christian life . After the massive earthquake in Haiti, I housed some teenage orphans in my house in Zona Colonial, which I no longer have and I found them good well educated people. Likewise I have found the Haitian construction workers decent people but desperately poor. The situation is that Dominicans are for the most part uneducated and poor without strong leadership and the USA,GB and France are all inward looking and reducing foreign aid.It is for that reason that China sees an opportunity to step into the gap as the shining prince.I can offer you no assistance about what you wish to know and no solution that would be acceptable to RD but I just wanted to say to you ,chin up, my dear and God be with you.
Thank you so much. That was very kind of you. . What is going on in Haiti right now is quite horrible. I have been speaking over the last week with a dear Haitian friend who is quite in despair that they will be able to hold elections -

A very "sloppy" story came out today from AP - I say sloppy in that Pierre Esperance is quoted as saying that "60% of the country" is under gang control - and I certainly doubt that to be the case. But PauP is pretty much paralyzed by gangs. https://apnews.com/article/caribbea...ngs-violence-be8f8d60434d094644bec2604f5ddd58.

I have never actually heard any Dominican speak of Haitians with anything except compassion- that was most likely simply a reflection of the circles in which I personally travelled in my 14 years there. I have certainly interviewed Haitians who have been threatened and beaten while in the DR.

The hostility that is directed towards Haitians on this message board? Why anyone who lives on a small island would wish that their neighbors, 5 hours away, should descend into chaos?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Thank you so much. That was very kind of you. . What is going on in Haiti right now is quite horrible. I have been speaking over the last week with a dear Haitian friend who is quite in despair that they will be able to hold elections -

A very "sloppy" story came out today from AP - I say sloppy in that Pierre Esperance is quoted as saying that "60% of the country" is under gang control - and I certainly doubt that to be the case. But PauP is pretty much paralyzed by gangs. https://apnews.com/article/caribbea...ngs-violence-be8f8d60434d094644bec2604f5ddd58.

I have never actually heard any Dominican speak of Haitians with anything except compassion- that was most likely simply a reflection of the circles in which I personally travelled in my 14 years there. I have certainly interviewed Haitians who have been threatened and beaten while in the DR.

The hostility that is directed towards Haitians on this message board? Why anyone who lives on a small island would wish that their neighbors, 5 hours away, should descend into chaos?

The people I talk to in the north are desperate. They don't complain about violence but there is nothing there for them and they know it. They all want help to get to RD, Brazil, Mexico, or the USA. My Haitian friend in Chile wants to go to Mexico.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Dominicans wish no ill will to their neighbors. They just want their sovereignty respected like any countrymen in any nation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps the gangs can do a better job of running Haiti than the past "governments".

It is a terrible situation. One without hope.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Perhaps the gangs can do a better job of running Haiti than the past "governments".

It is a terrible situation. One without hope.
Unfortunately the only hope is to leave that sinking ship.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Unfortunately the only hope is to leave that sinking ship.

That ship sank a long time ago…
There’s a dangerous chance that gangs will run Haiti in the near future.

There’s no government there to speak of.
More like who grabs the collections box for the next musical chairs turn.

There’s no Haiti, just Haitians that happen to live on that side of Hispaniola.

There’s nothing to fix there, just to build alone.
Anything that resembles a State, must be built from scratch.

You can toss all of it out the window, including the official language, and start from zero.
Whatever gets built, will be a million times better than anything existing now.

Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That ship sank a long time ago…
There’s a dangerous chance that gangs will run Haiti in the near future.

There’s no government there to speak of.
More like who grabs the collections box for the next musical chairs turn.

There’s no Haiti, just Haitians that happen to live on that side of Hispaniola.

There’s nothing to fix there, just to build alone.
Anything that resembles a State, must be built from scratch.

You can toss all of it out the window, including the official language, and start from zero.
Whatever gets built, will be a million times better than anything existing now.
Re-education camps with a one child policy would be a huge step in the right direction. It may be painful in the beginning but they'll be thanking us later on. They are in desperate need of civility.

• Sad

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
For those who might want to learn more -

Michael Deibert has written two books on Haiti - both of which are excellent. He was an AP reporter on the ground for two years -

His two books - "Notes from the Last Testament" - which takes us to --I think - the end of Aristide

And his newest -"Haiti will not Perish" - from then until the election of Moise

the one amazing thing about #Moise is that he has managed to turn almost everyone against him- which is something that not even Baby Doc managed to do.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
For those who might want to learn more -

Michael Deibert has written two books on Haiti - both of which are excellent. He was an AP reporter on the ground for two years -

His two books - "Notes from the Last Testament" - which takes us to --I think - the end of Aristide

And his newest -"Haiti will not Perish" - from then until the election of Moise

the one amazing thing about #Moise is that he has managed to turn almost everyone against him- which is something that not even Baby Doc managed to do.
LMAO, trying to sell his books. Seems like a nice enough guy. Thank goodness he has the USA to protect his typical bleeding heart liberal views. "SIPA" an absolute meaningless curriculum.