Policing Tourists

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I accept that no system is perfect and that similarly applies to the PN. I do not know all the facts and I have not read every articles published but the news articles I did read often contained conflicting info so I have to question all of the info equally.

We're going in circles and clouding the central issues with "purported facts" and basic personal assumptions. In my eyes, specifically with the missing tourist case, I continue to believe that more could have been done quicker without extra manpower or equipment.

Every Dominican knows how to use a phone. There is a US embassy in SD with a permanent FBI presence. A phone call in the early stages asking that a set of finger prints be compared or seeking more ID info from the US and the family may have gone a long way to helping speed things up at least for the woman. I don't know if this was done, I don't know a lot of the specific details but what I do know is that there was a significant and mostly unnecessary delay in linking the Jane Doe in hospital with any inference that she might be the missing tourist. That's all I can comment on and all that I am advancing in this instance.

This is not Columbo level policing, only slightly more involved than writing a ticket. Anyway, hopefully the only way to PN can go is up.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I believe the PN did a good job, once the case hit the international media........

so i ask you this, did not the PN get wind of the missing persons same time the international media did? My guess family contacted PN and the newspaper within hours of each other. How can the PN start an investigation until they find out an investigation needs to be started. Another thing but I may be wrong but isn't there like a certain amount of time a person needs to be missing before an actual investigation gets underway?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........*no one knows for sure. And, I can see how an unconscious morena did not raise suspicions.

So can I, face all mangled up, no ID on person. Now the gentleman found miles away so why put a connection together. Plus the gentleman had no fingerprints as he had already started to decompose and the fish were making a meal out of him.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Three years ago TODAY, coincidentally, we buried our nephew Manolo. Shot to death sitting outside the family home in SD during a robbery. He wasn’t a tourist, he was an middle/upper middle class Dominican, no one special in the grand scheme of things.

Absolutely nothing was done. Nothing. Believe me, the parents were making visits and calls. It was only when they used the same gun to kill someone “important” that an effort to find and arrest them was made.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I believe the PN did a good job, once the case hit the international media.

Now, It seems* that they waited till the case gathered attention/coverage overseas, and that may be what people are criticizing (and makes you & WW mad, lol)...

*no one knows for sure. And, I can see how an unconscious morena did not raise suspicions.

I mean really....
For this country... it’s just another day in the life...

Strange things are normal here....

This unfortunate incident isn’t that weird in the overall scheme of things

The girl with her head out the car ... she lost it....after hitting a sign
We had a Guagua driver on the Nagua to RSJ run die the other day
An epileptic attack at the wheel... luckily an empty guagua

Anybody read about that little tidbit?
Just another death

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I think that when a Tourist books their flight the Airline should provide a link to DR1 for safety instruction!

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I’m wondering what Darcy Apos’s opinion is on all this? Bad precedents establish and reinforce continued skepticism on these type of stories among many. Sad but true.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I’m wondering what Darcy Apos’s opinion is on all this? Bad precedents establish and reinforce continued skepticism on these type of stories among many. Sad but true.

Excellent point. His "story" cost friendships, police wasting their time and the community wasting time and money lost.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
As we always seem to follow various tourist tragedies...
it begs the question of the role of the country’s police.

Some of us have been talking off the record about this.... not on DR1

Whether lost, hurt, falling off balconies , robbed...
There is a variety of tourist related incidents.... some casual, some severe

Recently, there was some carping about the police not doing enough...being incapable... etc
in a search for missing persons.

My question is... what priority should these tourist accidents be given?

Is it the country’s police job to help drunks, wanderers, and such find their way?
Much of the problem is self inflicted by the tourists themselves.
Balcony drunks, driving drunks....whose responsibility is it to police them?

Personally, as a former resident and now citizen, I would prefer to see them serve and protect the country rather than the visitors.
Maybe the advice we all scorn.... DON’T LEAVE THE COMPOUND.... is actually good advice.

Rep Dom has enough internal issues without caring for the casual visitor who seemingly breaks all the rules consistently.....
The costs much be huge for a force that hasn’t enough money to begin with.

When these visitors are harmed by locals.... OK... have at it.
Catch the perpetrators and punish them.

But the self inflicted stupidity seems to be the more common problem.

But William while I can definitely agree on principle, it seems that this little island courts these boorish clowns bigtime. So where does responsibility begin and end.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I understand the points...

But tourists might consume an inordinate amount of time and money.

Should they be privileged ??

First things first... citizens/residents... then tourists

They are well housed and cared for in their chosen locations...

Yes, the police are helpful to all.... I have found.
But careless activities by visitors should be treated as such... perhaps

PRIVILEGED? Cmon put your thinking cap on.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
As of now
The FBI have commandeered the local police to do their bidding.... as I read it.

Where is their embassy in all this ??
I guess FBI smells something! Certainly those last 2 did not appear to be wealthy nor privileged nor come with a "family name in NY."

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
In fact the oddity is...the irony is that

The local guy expects less than the visitor expects....

This country has enough problems of its own..... and not enough staff & $$$ to help

Sorry but the $$$$$$$ are here. But the money flowing in just does not go in the right direction. You are not looking with your eyes open, or so it sounds William.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Exactly the point of this thread gringo. I honestly believe more was done simply because it was a tourist involved.

Also the truth of the matter we only know what is written up in the newspapers. Quite often police have info days in advance of going public so you really don't know for sure when they found out what.

Victims families always feel they are not getting enough information fast enough all over the world.

Yes, of course! And um nothing was done for between 10-12 days until it "hit" the world networks. I am almost certain it still would be quietly buried here except for the screams coming from the world media. Not any DR media.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right jeb.... after the world networks got it..
they were forced to redirect their limited funds to a high profile case

at the expense of the residents and citizens....

The police are not well funded - underpaid and understaffed... as I see it

you different ??

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
like i said in the past gringo, all depends on what you have read. I read an article the hospital stated her face was so mangled up she was unrecognizable and refused to release a photo.

I just cannot believe the dreck you just scribbled here. So you are the type who will believe and pass along every single thing you read in the tabloid and what passes for pblishable stuff, what article? What paper or digital thing did you see that? You should be ashamed.

Last edited:

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Right jeb.... after the world networks got it..
they were forced to redirect their limited funds to a high profile case

at the expense of the residents and citizens....

The police are not well funded - underpaid and understaffed... as I see it

you different ??

No I see it as you have written and that is why the culture needs to be addressed. The $$$ are here, the care of those that collect the $$$ are not, so it continues that police, education fall under the category of Third World. Only when the uber wealthy family names are uttered will a glance be given.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes... again, this is the point here...
how the efforts are directed - spent if you will.
Should they go in the direction of tourist protection or to serve & protect the country !!?

That's where we are here - trying to determine which.

Personally, I feel as a citizen , I deserve first dibs on their skills and time
you may feel differently