Private Schools

drinfatuation

Dec 13, 2010
Florida, United States
What are the other options?

Those are the best schools if you want your child to speak English. There are several other options if you are not a practising Evangelical Christian or don't want your child indoctrinated to that line of thinking.

I plan on Moving to Jarabacoa next June and I would like to know of any other private schools in that area (non-Evangelical, Catholic is fine). And also, does anyone have any experiences with Doulos Discovery School, esp the middle/high school grades?
If someone already posted this info, sorry...

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks shammi. That's great.

I continue to be impressed with Brilliant Minds School in Santo Domingo Este, where a youngster can learn to speak basic English in a few months.

tr77

May 6, 2011
I just started my search today for private schools and already am overwhelmed by all of my options from this forum haha. thank you all so much for putting this together and even though there are some incorrect or disconnected phone numbers most of the information is accurate.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone have the e-mail for the director of Cap Cana Heritage School? I would really appreciate it if you do. I have called several times, but have not yet been able to get through to her.

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
Do not send your kids to st. Joseph's school

Hello everyone. I have taught a 2 schools as a music teacher in Santo Domingo. once in 2003 and the other 2010-2011. I can only tell you that the school I taught at in 2003 which was a non-accredited school with SACS at the time and was run by a former Carol Morgan school teacher, was leaps and bounds superior to this SACS accredied Schol known as St. Joseph's School, located right now in Elvaristo Morales and to be moved to Pedro Livio Cede?o near the corner of Maximo Gomez.
I was unfortunate not only to see this school as a teacher, but also a father of 2 children that were on "scholarships". I use that word loosely because I was getting paid about 40% less in 2010-2011 than I made in 2003. I had to pay for books and inscription fees that I didn't have to pay before, and the education that my daughter in 6th grade received was far below any standard I had ever seen, and included regular adjustments of grades to those students that were failing to giving them passing grades.
In this country, if you want a good school, find out if the school actually imports its teachers from the native English speaking countries. Find out about the turnover rate, as in how many long term teachers there are at the school. Find out if the teachers are paid a livable wage or have 2-3 jobs just to pay the rent.
Do your homework, a nice building and a few pieces of paper on the walls and a few accreditations don't mean sh*t.
There are a lot of abusive Dominican business games that have become a common methos of practice in these schools, so if you want to be as sure as you can be, do your homework, and try and figure out what's really going on, before you shell out too much money and your kid doesn't have to learn anything to make honor roll or get good grades.

Arizona

Jun 15, 2011
Greeting everyone!! We are moving to DR (Santiago) pretty soon and I have a headache searching for a school for my son. The info is overwhelming.

I hope some of you parents and teachers can help me.

A.J. is 4yrs will be 5 in Sept. Would he be considered a Kinder student or preK?

We have been told that SCS is the only accredited school by the ASCS. If he doesn't attend an accredited school what happens when we return to the US?

We are debating between SCS, La Salle, New Horizons and Da Vinci.

I've been told that La Salle is the "best" in Santiago (because of their curriculum and student expectation) even if its not bilingual. It's Santiago's "creme d' la creme" school.

Does SCS/New Horizons teach American History? Is their curriculum exactly as it is here in the states?

I have also thought about home schooling. Does anyone else do this??

Is there student transportation to any of the schools mentioned above?

Thanks Everyone!
Arizona

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How many teacher in your school how many rooms of your school can you read Arabic language because i want to improve my Arabic language if you have any facilities so send me pm message.

Let me know, I am interested in working on my Tagalog skills myself!

Jenifer Smith

Jun 22, 2011
Great post you've created. I found your information really great and I really like the features of your post. I've been looking for a post with a good look like yours. Cheers for the great post, I'm going to build my post similar to yours it's lovely.

191-16

May 24, 2011
Hi,
I am looking for a school for my son to attend and I will be in the Puerto Plata area this month to look. I am particularly interested in schools that are helpful to kids who are still learning Spanish. We definitely want him to do his course work in Spanish. We would also like to know about opportunities for ex pats (14 years old) to play organised baseball

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
hit the nail on the head!!!!! my parent gut feeling was telling to go with new horizons
Hi all... I'm a teacher here in Santo Domingo and have worked here for the past 8 years at more than one school. I am a Canadian and currently work at one of the American accredited schools. I have read this thread several times and cannot stop myself from posting because I feel strongly that some of the information is not quite accurate.

First of all, many of the schools listed here as "bilingual" are not actually classified as bilingual, but rather as American schools. That being said, most schools are dual-language schools, meaning that most core subjects (language arts, social studies, math, science, etc.) are taught in English, but some subjects are taught in Spanish to fulfill the requirements of the Dominican Ministry of Education (like Spanish and sociales). Schools that fall in this category are St. Thomas, Dominico-Americano, St. Michael's, the American School, and many others. Students from these school graduate with both a US diploma and a Dominican diploma.

The only American school that doesn't require all of the Spanish classes is Carol Morgan, since it is the US Embassy school. Students there graduate with a US diploma, but not automatically with a Dominican diploma. They must elect to take the Spanish/Dominican stream if they want the Dominican diploma.

There are other schools that are truly classified as bilingual. In these schools, students take most classes in both languages. In other words, they take math in English and in Spanish, science in English and in Spanish, and so on. New Horizons is an example of a bilingual school.

I would also caution everyone strongly not to pay too much attention to the ratings of the Dominican government. I was working here when their survey of the schools took place. Much of the information they collected was not accurate and seemed to be politically motivated. For example, they said about the school where I work that our heads did not have any university degrees when, in fact, our heads each have at least one Master's degree each. They put other things in their report about our school such as that our receptionist had no desk, which was just laughable.

My overall advice is to do your own research and to do it in-depth. Go into the schools. Ask a lot of questions. The schools should be able to provide you with information about the teachers and their backgrounds (like where they are from and the degrees they have). I would recommend that you not be too swayed by outer appearances. As with everything here, some schools put a lot of stock into outer appearances and not much into real substance.

At the end of the day, I could give you my opinion about the schools, but it would be very biased and therefore ultimately not so useful. It really is best if people make up their minds for themselves. BTW, if you look in the yellow pages, you can find a pretty complete list of the English-language schools. Good luck to everyone searching!

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
I forgot to mention a couple details

Thank you for the information you are providing. Is there a SACS accredited school in Villa Mella and Samana?

Following is a more complete request:
We are planning a move to the DR early next year. We have sorted out housing in Villa Mella ; but, I am trying to research the availability of bilingual or English instruction schools with SACS accreditation nearby. We have three daughters 14, 7, and 4. I am also researching a DR university that offers a bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you for the information you are providing. Is there a SACS accredited school in Villa Mella and Samana?

I've never heard of any bilingual or American type schools let alone SACS accredited in VM but you'll be on the Metro line so the Dominico-Americano and possibly others in Santo Domingo will be accessible. In Samana, definitely not - the reason we didn't move there.

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
Villa Mella Schools

I've never heard of any bilingual or American type schools let alone SACS accredited in VM but you'll be on the Metro line so the Dominico-Americano and possibly others in Santo Domingo will be accessible. In Samana, definitely not - the reason we didn't move there.

Thanks Chirimoya.
The Metro Line idea is great. I'll be in the DR next month. So i'll start with Dominicano-Americano and then visit a number of schools in Santo Domingo then.

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
Has anyone put their kids in PCIS or any other Bavaro/Punta Cana school and had a positive experience? negative experience? advice? Im moving to Bavaro and looking for a good school. My son will be going to first grade (6yrs) Thanks.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
While seeing this particular thread in the list, I can't believe I haven't shared a link to the north-east best private school:
L'?cole Fran?aise de Las Terrenas
Of course I am referring to Las Terrenas French school. Obviously it is not an English-speaking environment, but I noticed many "non-French" there, mostly Italians & Dominicans.