Private Schools

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
One, if not "THE", most all around SMART women I know,AND A "Dominicana", went to Catholic schools in Monte Cristi here in the DR.
It helps to have some "Smart Genes" to start with of course!
CCCCCC
"PORK" "Not-To-Worry", some of the most brilliant people who ever lived can't spell!
You and I come to mind! :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2005

Julie Hager-Holl

Feb 28, 2013
We are looking to move to the Punta Cana area. Can you recommend a school in the area, teaching in english, but with some spanish.

oasis17

May 12, 2014
can somebody please provide me the contact info for Torre Alta Montessori School in Puerto Plata. do you know if there is another bilingual kids garden in the area?

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Would someone kindly give me some insight into a private school in the Puerto Plata area for a child entering 1st grade. Important criteria for me is that the child have the opportunity to learn English there. School does not need to be bi-lingual, just offer English as a second language. Any sense on cost would be helpful as well as I have no benchmarks. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
I have to agree with HB here. I don't think it matters what school they attend in DR; they will be placed depending on how they score.

I attended HS here in NY for 9th and 10th grades, then I finished HS in Santiago, at the Milagros Hernandedz school el la Independencia (Its not there anymore as it burned down and changed owners). The point is that Milagros Hernandez, as far as I know, is not "accredited" in the US, however, I was still able to enroll in College here in the US. When I applied to the college they asked me for my HS diploma, I gave them my diploma from DR and it was fine.

GREAT to hear..thank you!!

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
My family will be moving to Cabrera area in 22 months. Any info for schools for my daughters would be appreciated. One daughter just turned 4 and the other is a baby at 1 so school a few yrs away for her.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
My family is looking to relocate to Cabrera in June/July 2018. We will be renting in Cabrera month of July this summer. We have a daughter that will be 5 this summer and want to know about education in Cabrera, Any insight is appreciated!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I'm behind! You will find two excellent opportunities in Cabrera: Puentes Early Learning Academy for Preschool and The Esperanza Project for elementary school. Another option would be to enroll in the public school and associate with one of the after school projects in the area for complementary (and supplementary) education.

adribb

Dec 22, 2017
Here are some basics about the school system:

Public Schools in the Dominican Republic
The primary language of instruction in public schools in the Dominican Republic is Spanish. There are generally not enough teachers, facilities or funding to meet the demands of an unusually large Dominican schools - age population. Many private and religious schools supplement the state-financed schools. Children aged 7 to 14 years are required to attend, and almost every large community has elementary and secondary schools.
The University of Santo Domingo is the oldest university in the Americas; it was founded in 1538.

Going to school in English
Instruction in foreign languages is available in Dominican schools for children of all ages. Curriculum is available in Spanish and other languages. Some schools will offer education in one language whilst others may be bilingual. While there are students enrolled from all over the world, the majority are Dominican. This means that much of the school’s informal social life will take place in Spanish, regardless of the educational facility’s policies.

Private schools in the Dominican Republic normally have the medium of instruction in English and usually take children from many nationalities. Students must meet a certain level of English fluency for entrance. The school year is usually divided into two semesters which begin in mid-late August and finish early-mid June.

Tuition fees for students vary from school to school, the maximum being $7,000US per academic year. As a general rule the older the child, the higher the fees. There may be additional charges for school lunches, uniforms and school books and materials.

Will their qualifications be valid once we leave the Dominican Republic?
Schools which are accredited by the Dominican Ministry of Education offer certificates which are valid for entrance to Dominican, European and U.S. universities. However, those planning to undertake higher education in the U.S. may wish to attend a school which has been accredited by the U.S. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Those interested in studying in Europe, should consider a school where the International Baccaulaureate curriculum is used.

Are there English or bilingual schools outside of Santo Domingo?
Education in English is available outside of Santo Domingo in most regions; La Romana, Santiago, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata.

Very good information, thanks
"Adriana"

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
There is absolutely no need for a student to study in a SACS school or to have an IB program in order to succeed in college outside of the DR. Work with your kid at home if you're that concerned. Kids go from the public school system in the DR to college in the states (obviously the best of them) and do just fine.

(I am not negating the terrible condition of education in most places - but the idea that if your kid studies in the DR they won't be eligible to study else where is erroneous. Will they maybe be better prepared? Perhaps. PERHAPS. But, it's not a requirement - as long as the school is recognized by the Dominican ministry of education and your student takes the prueba nacional, they can go whereever they want)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is absolutely no need for a student to study in a SACS school or to have an IB program in order to succeed in college outside of the DR. Work with your kid at home if you're that concerned. Kids go from the public school system in the DR to college in the states (obviously the best of them) and do just fine.

(I am not negating the terrible condition of education in most places - but the idea that if your kid studies in the DR they won't be eligible to study else where is erroneous. Will they maybe be better prepared? Perhaps. PERHAPS. But, it's not a requirement - as long as the school is recognized by the Dominican ministry of education and your student takes the prueba nacional, they can go whereever they want)

Absolutely, my wife's god-daughter who attended private school for primary but public school for high school, just finished two years in a junior college in Kansa and will be attending Oklahoma University in the fall. Bright girl but certainly not brilliant, other than her smile.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have kids going to various countries at all stages of their education and certification and report cards and documents from the school district allows them to register in foreign countries.