Privately funded projects on the North Coast

Jun 7, 2006
Here is an example of a re-sale at the Casa Linda Connections project near Encuentro in Cabarete:

Connections is offering a lot of amenities: Shuttle, 24 hr. security, gym & restaurant, 10 minute walk to Encuentro Beach. I'm told a few villas are delivered & several more are near completion. The first condo is scheduled to be delivered in the summer. 75% of the 2 beds are pre-sold. Apparently, it's not until then when they'll have the next price increase. Surf Village villas across the road: 600$US.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
IM, The house title for Connections Casa Linda is "in process" any day now and is almost TWO YEARS LATE. Casa Linda had a late clause and they are only playing about half of what they owe the owner for that. Either that or he has to go to court. He just wants to sell and be done with it. Many others who bought pre-construction are in the "same boat" there.

He set the price for his re-sale, not Casa Linda. He has no desire to move in, just put this behind him.
I have no idea what these things are actually worth since there is no MLS in the DR.

Jun 7, 2006
IM, The house title for Connections Casa Linda is "in process" any day now and is almost TWO YEARS LATE. Casa Linda had a late clause and they are only playing about half of what they owe the owner for that. Either that or he has to go to court. He just wants to sell and be done with it. Many others who bought pre-construction are in the "same boat" there.

He set the price for his re-sale, not Casa Linda. He has no desire to move in, just put this behind him.
I have no idea what these things are actually worth since there is no MLS in the DR.
Several of those villas have closed so this one is worth what a buyer will pay for it. Which remains to be seen. Encuentro is newly considered "highly desirable" in real estate jargon. We'll see. Driving by the Surf Village entrance, the villa construction there is moving along.

Reactions: windeguy

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
All this is driven by people with too much play money, or those who are buying tropical dream escapes for inflated gringo prices.

Not to forget high USD monthly maintenance and little control over your property with local HOA and DR laws.
Including absent foreign owners, rentals and local management.
Xanadu development in Playa Dorada with small apartments and high costs is another example.
Go have a look.

As long as gringos are willing to pay inflated prices, in relation to world market, location and available infrastructure,
They will continue to build and market.

Look at Wyndy's post #111
Jammed in beach front, just walk along Cabarete beach to see properties too close to the ocean.

See the erosion of older buildings too close to the ocean.
Problems of your electronics and furnishings with exposure to salt air and high humidity.
Those building need constant costly maintenance, to keep up value and infrastructure.
Not to forget property taxes.

The climate in the DR is harsh, with heat, humidity, insects, high cost of electricity, water scarcity and bad roads.

Plenty of highly desirable properties 400K to one mil available.
Buy, buy, buy........

For my money I choose a different country with value for my money, ROI, solid laws and infrastructure.
Sunshine and beaches are available in many locations on this planet.
Calculate your flight time and availability on a comfy business class seat, which anyone who buys for 400K to one mil can easily afford.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

wassup

Jul 17, 2004
Canaveral del Mar at the entrance to the road to El Cupey from Star Hills:

First set of condos almost ready to move in and lots of room for many more.
interested in the project for future purchase, any information good or bad in regards to the Canaveral del Mar Project

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a new project near Kite Beach are on the inland side of the main highway in Cabarete called Down Winder.

I cannot find their online listing as of yet.

For those looking for information on a specific site like wassup asked, I would suggest opening a separate thread on DR1 and maybe someone will have the pluses and minuses of those new places, but keep in mind they are so new, there is not a lot of history for them. And not many posters on DR1 any more,

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
interested in the project for future purchase, any information good or bad in regards to the Canaveral del Mar Project
Safe to say they're not some "Here today, gone tomorrow" type of construction group. They are about as solid as you can get.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Safe to say they're not some "Here today, gone tomorrow" type of construction group. They are about as solid as you can get.
Yeah, well, some very disappointed people thought the same about Casa Linda Connections.

Jun 7, 2006
Yeah, well, some very disappointed people thought the same about Casa Linda Connections.
As far as I've been told the disappointment at CL Connections has been around how long the project has taken to finish. Villa owners who came in under the old build prices seem to feel they have a good investment. 10 minute walk from Encuentro Beach for less than the current price of Casa Linda phases. Perhaps condos are another matter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as I've been told the disappointment at CL Connections has been around how long the project has taken to finish. Villa owners who came in under the old build prices seem to feel they have a good investment. 10 minute walk from Encuentro Beach for less than the current price of Casa Linda phases. Perhaps condos are another matter.
Do you think that being 2 years late on delivery of a Villa with dozens of deficiency items noted by the buyer and not corrected by the builder is disappointing and then not crediting what was agreed to for being that late would be an issue for a buyer unless he tried to use a lawyer to enforce the full contract?

Those who don't actually want to live there or had other places to be might have had such patience.

Another contractor was called in to finish the condos on that location.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You'll note I didn't mention Casa Linda Connections in my comments.
True, but anyone that violates the rule of not buying a place they can close on in the AM and move in that PM does so at their own peril.

I warned the man that bought at Casa Linda Connections, but he shirked it off. Now he is 5 weeks from being gone from the DR.

Reactions: JD Jones
Jun 7, 2006
Do you think that being 2 years late on delivery of a Villa with dozens of deficiency items noted by the buyer and not corrected by the builder is disappointing and then not crediting what was agreed to for being that late would be an issue for a buyer unless he tried to use a lawyer to enforce the full contract?

Those who don't actually want to live there or had other places to be might have had such patience.

Another contractor was called in to finish the condos on that location.
There have definitely been problems with poor builders. But, from the info I've received from an attorney representing owners, is he has enforced the delivery delay penalty in its entirety - at $50 a day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There have definitely been problems with poor builders. But, from the info I've received from an attorney representing owners, is he has enforced the delivery delay penalty in its entirety - at $50 a day.
I can assure you that is NOT true for the owner I know. He was made a lowball offer, take it or leave it, or lawyer up.

He relented and immediately put the villa up for sale

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some owners probably skip attorney representation. And, try to deal with CL themselves or worse with CL's lawyers representing them.
He had already decided rather than live here, to sell and leave the country because he was fed up. That instead of paying a lawyer and having to deal with an extended court case in absentia while keeping a vacant villa.

Jun 7, 2006
He had already decided rather than live here, to sell and leave the country because he was fed up. That instead of paying a lawyer and having to deal with an extended court case in absentia while keeping a vacant villa.
Who can blame him. What I'm referring to has nothing to do with an "extended court case". It was simply both parties adhering to the letter of the contract at delivery. Owners who pay their own lawyer may be having a different delivery experience.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Who can blame him. What I'm referring to has nothing to do with an "extended court case". It was simply both parties adhering to the letter of the contract at delivery. Owners who pay their own lawyer may be having a different delivery experience.
He opted out of paying his own lawyer because he did not wish to have to deal with a lawsuit. Instead he settled for about half of what the contract said he was owed in deductions to the purchase price. And there were still a number of unresolved building issues. He just got fed up. It was either accept their offer or lawyer up.