Q. about overstay fees

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Is it true once you get temp residency card you dont have to no matter how long you were here for?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is it true once you get temp residency card you dont have to no matter how long you were here for?

I started the regularization process, never finished it, and the sticker they had put in my passport was expired when I presented it as I left, but they saw I had started the process and charged me no overstay fee. Of course, that was one individual, who knows how the next one would have reacted.
Derfish

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
When I worked as a database administrator, my staff and I would always dread when the director (or some politician) wanted to link something else to a standard report. One monthly report took a full day to run, and my staff had to run one-half of the report at a time and dump the results into a MS Excel spreadsheet. We had to run it outside the system backup schedule. I do not see the DR getting involved in this sort of affair. No U.S. state would do this.

Database Joins are computationally expensive. The database is over-normalized to ensure data integrity at the expense of run-time. They'd probably be able to solve this without U.S. help by maintaining a table in the DB of passports entering the country (which I'm sure they do) and adding alternative identifications to their DB aside from a cedula. Then creating a covered index on the tables. Of course, data engineers are probably scarce in the country... Not to mention that they are probably different databases maintained by different agencies. Though that could also be solved...

Cortez

Mar 26, 2019
Database Joins are computationally expensive. The database is over-normalized to ensure data integrity at the expense of run-time. They'd probably be able to solve this without U.S. help by maintaining a table in the DB of passports entering the country (which I'm sure they do) and adding alternative identifications to their DB aside from a cedula. Then creating a covered index on the tables. Of course, data engineers are probably scarce in the country... Not to mention that they are probably different databases maintained by different agencies. Though that could also be solved...

...yes they do keep track of passport numbers when you enter the DR...I left the DR for a week in Miami about 3 weeks ago...I had been here about 2 years, and had gotten a new passport in the last year (no residency) new passport number...no stamps...immigration at Santiago airport was getting madder by the minute, then they asked me how long I had been here.. I said about 6 weeks, then they said go home at get your old passport...but I said I cant it was stolen, then the man in charge was ****ed off...so I gave them the old number I had in my pocket, the lady said you have been here over 2 years? what could I say only that I have a bad memory...anyway she charged me $120 us dollars...as I walked to my plane she and her boss were still in a heated talk about her not charging enough......Cortez...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps you will find it hard to believe that many here think the system is in disarray ...
very little (if any) tracking

Your personal experience is interesting.... thanks for reporting it

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Wasn't me. I arrove in Jan thanks. When I left I had 7 tickets for traffic violations. Was worried about maybe they would confiscate my passport and lock me up, or something, but nuthin'.
Derfish

Funny stuff...... never nuthin that money cant solve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The kid who wrote home from school to his father... a short note

No mon, no fun, your son

The reply

Too bad, so sad , your Dad

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not illegal if it was illegal there would be no overstay charts.....

A person who has to pay an overstay fee is illegally in the DR.
The overstay fees are an administrative work around.
There is no basis in DR law for these fees.

This has been clearly stated by DR1's own lawyer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I.P.Knightly

Yes, it's illegal to stay over your time... to drive after that time....
Clearly stated by higher powers than thou art

The payment is like a speeding ticket - if that simplifies it for you
You broke the law & here's the penalty.... parking ticket- make your own list

Trying to keep it at a layman's level here - not too lofty

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I.P.Knightly

Yes, it's illegal to stay over your time... to drive after that time....
Clearly stated by higher powers than thou art

The payment is like a speeding ticket - if that simplifies it for you
You broke the law & here's the penalty.... parking ticket- make your own list

Trying to keep it at a layman's level here - not too lofty

Better for us than taking us outside the city gates and stoning us to death!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One reason the overstay fees still exist and people are illegal if they have to pay them (and not a snow bird visa) is because there are two countries on one island. Getting into the details of that discussion could and would take pages of text. Maybe some day the DR government can figure out a better way.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
If the government wanted to change it they could with a flip of switch, just as there other knee jerk reactions... why change it
When it works...money from residency seekers and overstayers win win..

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
One reason the overstay fees still exist and people are illegal if they have to pay them (and not a snow bird visa) is because there are two countries on one island. Getting into the details of that discussion could and would take pages of text. Maybe some day the DR government can figure out a better way.

Can you explain more? I'm not understanding what Haiti has to do with it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Any booths up outside banks so that a robber can pay a fee and return again to rob that bank?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why kill the goose that layed the golden egg....overstayer$ are a precious commodity ;)

GreatLife
Haven't we been over this before....
it's a small goose.... might feed a family of one or two

Bigger fish to fry in this country
The money gets stolen at the airport - most times

Wishful thinking on your part (IMO).. too big to change

Cortez

Mar 26, 2019
A person who has to pay an overstay fee is illegally in the DR.
The overstay fees are an administrative work around.
There is no basis in DR law for these fees.

This has been clearly stated by DR1's own lawyer.

yes ...exactly overstay is illegal in the DR....the DR has many laws...I see very few enforced...and less resulting in jail time... being the overstay criminal that I am, I feel that $120 dollars for 2 years is a bargain...could someone please explain the law enforcement system to me?......Cortez.....