Q. about overstay fees

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Yes------- I will

No real need for a passport --- What does it accomplish ???
The purpose of folk like us with Dominican passports is to increase the value of the Dominican passport when we travel to other countries other than our birth country. Moreover, countries like China and the Russian Federation, for example, may grant more favorable visa or visa on arrival treatment to the DR passport. The more Dominicans use the Dominican passport, the more valuable it becomes in the international arena. This, in turn, increases the likelihood that other countries may consider granting visa on arrival status.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My Canadian passport is what I'll use....

pretty benign around the world... few restrictions, if any
As far as I venture is the UK normally

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't plan on getting the actual passport... can't see a need for it.

The machine has the info.... I should be good...
My lawyer agrees

The registration outweighs the physical passport

It is a choice based on where you travel. For example Colombia charges approx 80 dollars for Canadians to visit and Dominicans can go there visa free. We have gone to Colombia twice and will go again. Certainly the Canadian Passport is better and more valuable.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
It is a choice based on where you travel. For example Colombia charges approx 80 dollars for Canadians to visit and Dominicans can go there visa free. We have gone to Colombia twice and will go again. Certainly the Canadian Passport is better and more valuable.
This is one of the reasons that I advocate for the Dominican passport for dual nationals. While the Canadian and U.S. passport have more value, having both maximizes where you can travel visa free. Moreover, some countries charge less for entry with the Dominican passport.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is one of the reasons that I advocate for the Dominican passport for dual nationals. While the Canadian and U.S. passport have more value, having both maximizes where you can travel visa free. Moreover, some countries charge less for entry with the Dominican passport.

Perhaps this could be the topic of a different thread since this one is about overstay fees?

I knew a Canadian who was headed to the airport, I drove him. He had been here for 11 years and was worried what his overstay fee would be. I don't know, I got my 800 pesos.

Why don't guys like this just cross over into Ouanaminthe, Haiti from Dajabon for a just few hours once every six months or so and then they'll have a collection of exits and re-entry stamps and thus won't have to worry about overstay fees at all?
Take advantage of the fact that there's another country on the same island.
Or does the DR have a law that says expats without residency HAVE to return to their own countries and thus entrance into Haiti does not count?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Why don't guys like this just cross over into Ouanaminthe, Haiti from Dajabon for a just few hours once every six months or so and then they'll have a collection of exits and re-entry stamps and thus won't have to worry about overstay fees at all?
Take advantage of the fact that there's another country on the same island.
Or does the DR have a law that says expats without residency HAVE to return to their own countries and thus entrance into Haiti does not count?

I don't know myownself, but previously here on this board people have stated that it doesn't work. In Panama one can cross into Costa Rica and stay for 72 hours and come back across and be reset for 6 months, but twice is all it is good for after that one has to go back to country of residency and start over. It is called a visa run. I was given the card of a guy at the border who would supposedly backdate the stamp saying one had been in Costa Rica for 72 hours and one could return to Panama immediately.. I would really be hesitant to cross into Haiti and be told I could not legally cross back into the DR for 3 days as happened to me in crossing from Honduras into El Salvador way back when. Don't have any idea how things are now, but was quite a problem in 1985 or so.
Derfish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know myownself, but previously here on this board people have stated that it doesn't work. In Panama one can cross into Costa Rica and stay for 72 hours and come back across and be reset for 6 months, but twice is all it is good for after that one has to go back to country of residency and start over. It is called a visa run. I was given the card of a guy at the border who would supposedly backdate the stamp saying one had been in Costa Rica for 72 hours and one could return to Panama immediately.. I would really be hesitant to cross into Haiti and be told I could not legally cross back into the DR for 3 days as happened to me in crossing from Honduras into El Salvador way back when. Don't have any idea how things are now, but was quite a problem in 1985 or so.
Derfish

You can cross back and forth from Haiti as often as you want, but it won't reset your overstay time in the DR.

For now, just pay for the overstay fee and take your chances nothing serious happens while you are here illegally.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The schedule for this overstay fees is quite confusing. So, for example, if you have 29 months from the entrada stamp to your day of departure....salida stamp....will you be charged 9,500 or 11,000? Confusing like everything else here all the time.

More and more it seems as if the rules are not the items which are confused, or confusing.