Q. about overstay fees

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will give you two facts:

A NO ONE from any major country has ever been arrested, detained, or deported solely for overstaying a tourist visa.

B NO ONE from any major country has ever been denied entry to the DR solely for overstaying a tourist visa.

Not exactly true:
Round up of tourist by immigration in Sosua and Cabereta
Feb 3, 2017, 4:55 AM
Save
Anyone have first hand knowledge of the round up of tourist in Sosua and Cabarete over the last two days. Local Migration dept is picking up tourist and taking them off to POP to check papers
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...bereta-Sosua_Puerto_Plata_Province_Domin.html

AND on DR1

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/160650-Gringo-Round-Up-in-Sosua

Migracion just did it once or twice and probably were told to knock it off, we will collect the cash when they leave.

As for people from major countries being denied entry for previous overstays, we have a taxi driver on DR1 who insists that happened, but I can understand someone's reluctance on that point.

For now if you want to stay illegally, you can just pay the fee when you exit.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So we have a taxi driver. Where does he drive his taxi? Sosua, NY, or Mars. Bottom line: Not one shred of evidence that would prove anything. Give me a name, date, and flight from anyone denied entry. YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CANNOT.............

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Not exactly true:
Save
Anyone have first hand knowledge of the round up of tourist in Sosua and Cabarete over the last two days. Local Migration dept is picking up tourist and taking them off to POP to check papers
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...bereta-Sosua_Puerto_Plata_Province_Domin.html

AND on DR1

Migracion just did it once or twice and probably were told to knock it off, we will collect the cash when they leave.

As for people from major countries being denied entry for previous overstays, we have a taxi driver on DR1 who insists that happened, but I can understand someone's reluctance on that point.

The prez apologized for gringo round up and stated it will never happen again!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So we have a taxi driver. Where does he drive his taxi? Sosua, NY, or Mars. Bottom line: Not one shred of evidence that would prove anything. Give me a name, date, and flight from anyone denied entry. YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CANNOT.............

The taxi drive had a frequent client he picked up in the south of the DR. I think it was Punta Cana. I don't recall the name and the search function is horrible to find such posts on DR1.

I understand that any such denials for whatever reason have been very, very rare. They will probably remain rare. As for actual information from the DR government here is something that demonstrates the illegal nature of staying more than 30 days on a tourist card (some countries where tourist cards are not needed get 60 days) alone:

UPDATE ON DOMINICAN IMMIGRATION
Content of circular DSAC / DAM 019020 of the Vice Ministry of Consular and Migratory Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, is reported, reporting migratory categories, permanence, procedures, requirements and sanctions applicable to foreign citizens in the Dominican Republic:

- The migratory categories contemplated by the Migration Law No. 285-04 are Resident and Non-Resident. The tourist is Non-resident and is allowed to remain in the territory of R.D. for a period of up to 60 days renewable for another 60. 120 days in total.

- To apply for the extension, those who enter with a tourism card have 30 consecutive days in Dominican territory, who enter with a visa have 60 days, in accordance with Application Regulation No. 631-11 of Law No. 285-04.

- Foreigners who wish to reside in the Dominican Republic, staying in Dominican territory beyond the period allowed for Non-Residents, must be provided with a visa for residency purposes in the corresponding Dominican consular representation.

- Temporary residences, defined by art. 48 of Regulation No. 631-11 are for one year, renewable annually. In cases of family reunification, rentier and retired or pensioned (Article 50 of the same regulation) are renewed after one year after the issuance and every two years after the first renewal.

- Law 285-04 empowers the DGM (Directorate General of Migration) to declare illegal entry or stay of foreigners in Dominican territory, when they can not prove their situation in the country. Similarly, it allows you to apply for non-admission when they extend their tourist stay beyond the authorized extension to 120 days.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Not exactly true:
Save

AND on DR1

The reluctance is a taxi driver being a brand new poster who said that, in the middle of heated discussion
Never to be heard of again..... and now it’s a legend... bottom line you want to vacay do it...you want to work here we’ll get your **** together and get residency...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
UPDATE ON DOMINICAN IMMIGRATION
Content of circular DSAC / DAM 019020 of the Vice Ministry of Consular and Migratory Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, is reported, reporting migratory categories, permanence, procedures, requirements and sanctions applicable to foreign citizens in the Dominican Republic:

- The migratory categories contemplated by the Migration Law No. 285-04 are Resident and Non-Resident. The tourist is Non-resident and is allowed to remain in the territory of R.D. for a period of up to 60 days renewable for another 60. 120 days in total.

- To apply for the extension, those who enter with a tourism card have 30 consecutive days in Dominican territory, who enter with a visa have 60 days, in accordance with Application Regulation No. 631-11 of Law No. 285-04.

- Foreigners who wish to reside in the Dominican Republic, staying in Dominican territory beyond the period allowed for Non-Residents, must be provided with a visa for residency purposes in the corresponding Dominican consular representation.

- Temporary residences, defined by art. 48 of Regulation No. 631-11 are for one year, renewable annually. In cases of family reunification, rentier and retired or pensioned (Article 50 of the same regulation) are renewed after one year after the issuance and every two years after the first renewal.

- Law 285-04 empowers the DGM (Directorate General of Migration) to declare illegal entry or stay of foreigners in Dominican territory, when they can not prove their situation in the country. Similarly, it allows you to apply for non-admission when they extend their tourist stay beyond the authorized extension to 120 days.

Some definite training of their agents is in need...

I just returned from the states and my passport was stamped with a new stamp I've never seen before, it allows the agent to "hand write in" the type of visa you have and the number of days its valid. In my case she didn't specify the type of visa but wrote in "Hasta 30 days"....

She obviously had no clue or could care lessss that I was in possession of a valid 4 YR PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

I just returned from the states and my passport was stamped with a new stamp I've never seen before, it allows the agent to "hand write in" the type of visa you have and the number of days its valid. In my case she didn't specify the type of visa but wrote in "Hasta 30 days"....

She obviously had no clue or could care lessss that I was in possession of a valid 4 YR PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD.

You Had to show your residence Card, same way you will have to show it with your passport when leave DR so she could unlock your passport.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

When I visit the US they stamp my passport and hand write in the number of days I can stay. Nothing wrong with that.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

I mentioned this in another post. When I returned to the DR recently, I asked the official about this. She stated that the particular passport gets 30 days; however, do not worry about it since you have residency. Moreover, the computer system knows that you have residency. When you exit and present the passport and the residency card, you will be waived through the gate.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I mentioned this in another post. When I returned to the DR recently, I asked the official about this. She stated that the particular passport gets 30 days; however, do not worry about it since you have residency. Moreover, the computer system knows that you have residency. When you exit and present the passport and the residency card, you will be waived through the gate.

Thats correct, when you show your residence card, Cedula with non Dominican passport will save you the time that she looks for her pen to write 30 days, just stamp and good by, Dominicans with 2 citizenships do it that way and when they leave not need pay the fees they can unlock your passport with your national ID or residence card and you leave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
windguy I'll buy you a new kite let this go....

Thanks, but I don't kite. Just explaining the law.

People can at this time still stay illegally beyond the 30 day tourist card limit or 60 day visa limit from non-tourist card countries despite having multiple long overstays previously and they are still allowed back in the DR to do it again. Perhaps that will never change.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
New Passport Stamp

they can write anything they want in my passport....
my residency overrides it all....now citizenship.........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you have DR citizenship no need to show anything but your DR passport on arrival. They stamp it and you are on your way. On leaving I show my DR passport and generally they ask for my US one to make sure I can get where I am going.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't plan on getting the actual passport... can't see a need for it.

The machine has the info.... I should be good...
My lawyer agrees

The registration outweighs the physical passport

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't plan on getting the actual passport... can't see a need for it.

The machine has the info.... I should be good...
My lawyer agrees

The registration outweighs the physical passport

And you will have a cedula for citizens that is different than for legal residents.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks, but I don't kite. Just explaining the law.

People can at this time still stay illegally beyond the 30 day tourist card limit or 60 day visa limit from non-tourist card countries despite having multiple long overstays previously and they are still allowed back in the DR to do it again. Perhaps that will never change.

Finally Bravo .. that's my whole Point ..... I have been waiting 20 yrs and nothing has changed.... I had one friend who was here for 6yrs when he went home the the lady told him you really love DR to be here for that long he said with a smile yes i do.... paid then came back a week later ....without a issues...it's a money grab ...think about this the police in the street can not communicate with each other except if they use the cells phones... ....