Quit asking me for money!!!!

<rant>
EVERY Dominican I have attempted to have any sort of acquaintance/friendship with has asked me at least once for money. I don't live an extravagant life or drive a fancy car. I'm very low key and pretty much keep to myself. Why is it they insist on asking me for money? I made the mistake of loaning US$150 to a "friend" so his "wife" could get an ultrasound. He said he'd pay it back in a week and sure enough he did. But that seems to have opened up the flood banks as he now thinks I'm his personal ATM. I haven't loaned him a dime since then but that hasn't stopped him from asking. And EVERY time I say no he gets all sad-eyed and walks away with his head down like I just scolded him. A grown freakin' man acting like a twelve year old. What's with these people!!!
</rant>

There... I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

Stop hanging out with Dominicans from the barrio and set your sights a little higher. The people your hanging with are probably all dirt poor and look at you as an ATM with sneakers. Would you hang out with people from the trailer park from your own country?

Hi guys I know this may be a bit off topic but I just bought an apartment and I'm looking to furnish it with furniture. You guys think I could purchase good caoba living room furniture for RD$75000-$80000 pesos and dining room set for like RD$70000-$75000 pesos??? I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure estimation to save up some cash to go there soon.

why not start your own thread? DUH

Mar 1, 2009
Because he is Boricua and Boricua's are intelibuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrroooo. I always tell people to come talk to me el quince, when they arrive on el quince I then I tell them to come a final de mes. Then when they come back el 30, I tell them to come back el quince. This one guy didn't get it, I was F###king with him. I loved it!!! He came back four times!!! Now this girl I know who I brought some shoes for once, she won't stop bugging me for $50 bucks, for her graduation ring. It peeves me when they tell me that I earn in dollars so I make more than them. It peeves me when they assume I have all this disposable income and that they think money just appears on my doorstep every morning. So when she asked me for the $50.00, for her ring. I told her ven a verme el quince. :)

Reactions: RacerX

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i tell them:

i may be a gringo...but i'm not a stupido
i never give to anyone who ask...even in my own country

Jul 4, 2010
You have all missed the point, although many of you suspect it's a cultural thing, which it is, and the 'asking' and 'giving' is a mode of establishing relationship. Notice that women don't have this issue. Go ahead, next time you're 'hit' for money, ask if you can borrow the wife, or girlfriend, for the night. ; )

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The reason why he is approaching the OP and not somebody else is because others lend him with redito (extremely high interest rates) and he saves money loaning from you while you assume all the risk. That's why I suggested you to offer the loan with interest.
discourage them by suggesting a loan with a high interest rate :D

I have found that asking for a high interest rate doesn't affect the person that has no intention of paying you back from the onset. I have lent and I have been burned. To give myself some wiggle room to think, I always say I don't keep any money in the house and I will need to go to the bank tomorrow. I only use this wording with a person that I am considering loaning money to. This also informs that person that I don't keep money in the house. A person that I have no intention of lending money to I just say the bad economy in the states has all but bankrupted me and I am close to being on the street looking for money myself. This has worked for me every time.
After you've been burned a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it and there is absolutely no need to get nasty or abusive, that accomplishes nothing. The key word is finesse.....

B in Santiago

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Da me cinco pesos. Its even worse in the Philippines. I am bombarded with money requests and loans nearly every day. Its cultural, they don't know any better. HB once called this "learned behavior."

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
28hphra.gif
2ztc2ed.gif
ilklg3.gif

What are you crying about,​
I told you yesterday, I don't lend money without collateral...
I have my own needs,​
Wait till I tell your mother​

B in Santiago

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
Good point ExtremeR.
I never really understood the concept of micro-loans until you explained it. Think about it...if we could borrow money from the bank "Gringos" with no interest charges or penalties and than take that cash, invest it, earn 12% from loaning it to other Dominicans why not do it. From my understanding, Dominican banks charge crazy high interest rates...while the "Bank of Gringos" charge nothing. Hell, I would do that. So if Dominicans ask for money it would be smart to charge them 10% or collateral which would eat up their profit margins and thus reduce any chance of them asking you in the future. Good posting ExtremeR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Guys, keep in mind that informal credit is huge in the DR. I and all my friends were constantly asking for little loans US$100.00 to repay later which we always did. Is part of the culture. This is a phenomena that is not predominant in the US and it comes as a shock when you first gets approached about it.

The reason why he is approaching the OP and not somebody else is because others lend him with redito (extremely high interest rates) and he saves money loaning from you while you assume all the risk. That's why I suggested you to offer the loan with interest. One thing you can be glad of, he sure paid the first loan, so he is serious.

Remember, if a Dominican approach you asking for loaned money, don't get offended, just be creative and ask for either a guarantee that you will be paid back or discouragethem by suggesting a loan with a high interest rate :D
Good points.

One thought: have him sign a paper using his car or moto as collateral and charge some interest, make it like a revolving Line of Credit with whatever terms you want. Get the Matricula and make it clear it's bidniz and not personal,and if he doesn't pay the car/moto is yours...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Wow... I didn't think this was going to elicit such a response. I'm really not bothered too much by the whole thing... was just a little frustrated last night.

I have no trouble say no to these people. And I don't bother offering up an explanation. I just say "No, I can't help you." I've lived here 18 months and have met one person I'd consider a true friend. When my partner and I moved here, we made a conscious decision to NOT isolate ourselves in one of the gated communities filled with ex-pats. We wanted to experience the "real" DR. More and more I'm regretting that decision. I just can't find anyone I feel is at the same level as me...intellectually or emotionally. Maybe it's time to move and give up on the natives.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Started a Financiera around 2 years ago. Split the profits with my attorney, who secures each credit with pagares and some form of collateral. The results have been interesting so far... at rates that are commensurate with the associated risks taken. If you are to lend, be smart and lend like a local, and make sure that you have the means to recuperate your credit- again like a local. As a foreigner, I learned long ago that in the DR things are not what they seem- its all a show- people represent and warrant all kinds of things that aren't reality.

In developed countries, most people argue "why steal if we can pay"
In third world countries, most people argue "why pay if we can steal".

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I am still a long away from retirement and was really looking in to starting to build something over there where i can go while i have time now and then when i retire but now i just don't get it what do you people get from being over There. there was a good post taking a survey of people who have been there for some time about would you go back of stay and everyone wanted to stay i don't get it. What made this place appealing to me is fading fast real fast.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Wow... I didn't think this was going to elicit such a response. I'm really not bothered too much by the whole thing... was just a little frustrated last night.

I have no trouble say no to these people. And I don't bother offering up an explanation. I just say "No, I can't help you." I've lived here 18 months and have met one person I'd consider a true friend. When my partner and I moved here, we made a conscious decision to NOT isolate ourselves in one of the gated communities filled with ex-pats. We wanted to experience the "real" DR. More and more I'm regretting that decision. I just can't find anyone I feel is at the same level as me...intellectually or emotionally. Maybe it's time to move and give up on the natives.

Move to a higher level neighborhood.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have A "BETTER" Story Than They Do !!!

If their "mother" is "sick", YOUR mother is in the hospital!
If they need "medicine",you need "Surgery"!
If their wife is in the "clinica",your wife just died!
Tell them a "Worse" excuse than they tell you!

"GOLDEN RULE" when dealing with "DUMinicans"...NEVER,EVER,EVER, loan,or give them money!!!!

They won't get mad. That is their "Way-Of-Life"! They just start with you,because you have more money than any of their family or friends. If you say "NO!",they will just move down their "Food Chain" to the next sucker!
If you always say "NO!", sooner or later they will leave you alone.
RULE @, NEVER loan them "TOOLS" either. You will never see the tools again. Also,if you loan them ANYTHING,they think that they can just take ANYTHING,without asking in the future!
Cris Colon
PS. To those who now want to respond with your stories about "Loaning" to dominicans,and how they ALWAYS return,or pay you back,
SAVE IT For Someone Who Actually Gives A $HIT !!"

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Started a Financiera around 2 years ago. Split the profits with my attorney, who secures each credit with pagares and some form of collateral. The results have been interesting so far... at rates that are commensurate with the associated risks taken. If you are to lend, be smart and lend like a local, and make sure that you have the means to recuperate your credit- again like a local. As a foreigner, I learned long ago that in the DR things are not what they seem- its all a show- people represent and warrant all kinds of things that aren't reality.

In developed countries, most people argue "why steal if we can pay"
In third world countries, most people argue "why pay if we can steal".
You should write a blog. It'd be fascinating!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If their "mother" is "sick", YOUR mother is in the hospital!
If they need "medicine",you need "Surgery"!
If their wife is in the "clinica",your wife just died!
Tell them a "Worse" excuse than they tell you!
I LOL'd at this.

I'll give money to the truly needy, the guy with no legs or the blind guy, etc.

But when street rats come up to me...my pale skin draws them like flies on sweet meat...and start their "d?me cinco pesos" while rubbing their belly...I respond with "d?me veinte pesos" and rub MY belly. They look confuzzled and walk away...