Quit asking me for money!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
then they don't respect you. I never hang at carwashes, colmados or even talk to those people. Now I keep a big distance from the people who are beggars. When you have no contact with them, they don't ask for money.
here is how it works.
In our clinic, the cleaning lady and the secretaries and massage therapists all chip in and buy food to cook in the back kitchen. They were using an electric stove. The electric stove actually burnt down the electric wires in the clinic so they were all prohibited to use the electric stove. I felt sorry for them and bought them a gas tank for a cheap stove they had. I even filled it up with gas and hooked it all up with tubes and valve/regulator etc. Then I went out and bought them a fridge full of groceries so they can eat good food.
So now that I had done this all for them, guess what? they have taken me for a fool. They brought me a plate to eat and now they have all taken a unanimous decision put the food expenses on me. Now they expect me to buy them food on weekly basis and prepared a list of groceries for me. I simply laughed and told them to carry on like they used to and not worry about me or my food. They still come to ask me for this and that everyday but now they are realizing, I am not interested.
So I help them once and now they want me to carry on like a sucker for the rest of my life. So did I make a mistake when I bought them food and gas tank etc? I am not sure if I helped them or spoiled them. Maybe I should have stayed clear of their problems from the very beginning.
AZB

LOL!
I don't hang out in colmados, nor car wash. (I am a woman traveling with children). I simply made the same mistake as you did I was just too "nice".

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Last trip to DR, a very attractive twenty-something-year-old distant-extended-family female who accompanied me to a night club asked me if I would lend her 3,000 pesos for some clothes and make-up. My reply to her was(in Spanish) do you have a job?(she didn't) or are you going to "sleep" with me tonight?(I wasn't serious about that;))...and we continued dancing salsa, merengue and some perreo until the club closed. It wasn't a big deal, she tried, she failed, end of story.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
True story - I lent my expensive aluminium ladder today to a neighbor I barely knew - guess what they returned it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Good point ExtremeR.
I never really understood the concept of micro-loans until you explained it. Think about it...if we could borrow money from the bank "Gringos" with no interest charges or penalties and than take that cash, invest it, earn 12% from loaning it to other Dominicans why not do it. From my understanding, Dominican banks charge crazy high interest rates...while the "Bank of Gringos" charge nothing. Hell, I would do that. So if Dominicans ask for money it would be smart to charge them 10% or collateral which would eat up their profit margins and thus reduce any chance of them asking you in the future. Good posting ExtremeR.

Cobraboy was right, tie that loan to collateral legally itemized and adjoined to a cedula. The Bank of Gringo cant be a profitable exercise otherwise. They ask you because the locals only render at high interest rates? Of course, because the risk for nonpayment and default is high. For you, BoG, the risk of nonpayment and default is absolute. I personally would prefer a default so I could collect the collateral and sell it at my own will.

And Extreme, why would I want to assume all the risk? I can keep the money where it is and assume NO risk. How does it benefit the BoG to partake any "investment" or assume any "risk"?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
True story - I lent my expensive aluminium ladder today to a neighbor I barely knew - guess what they returned it.

"Ingeniero, esa escalera de aluminio no servia, le traje una de madera.":cheeky:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
there is absolutely no need to get nasty or abusive, that accomplishes nothing. The key word is finesse.....

B in Santiago

I beg to differ, nasty and abusive gets you everywhere you want to go fast. Also it saves time listening to rebuttals, counterarguments, appeals to guilt, pleas, and temper tantrums. Its like making chicken soup, you cant finesse the bird to get into the pot. You gotta get with the "choppy choppy" action real swift.

Reactions: MikeFisher

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
They were using an electric stove. The electric stove actually burnt down the electric wires in the clinic so they were all prohibited to use the electric stove.

Thread hijack: That sucks man, they put a 220v range in a 120v set-up? Bullnards!!

Then I went out and bought them a fridge full of groceries so they can eat good food.
So now that I had done this all for them, guess what? they have taken me for a fool. They brought me a plate to eat and now they have all taken a unanimous decision put the food expenses on me. Now they expect me to buy them food on weekly basis and prepared a list of groceries for me. I simply laughed and told them to carry on like they used to and not worry about me or my food. They still come to ask me for this and that everyday but now they are realizing,

So I help them once and now they want me to carry on like a sucker for the rest of my life. So did I make a mistake when I bought them food and gas tank etc? I am not sure if I helped them or spoiled them. Maybe I should have stayed clear of their problems from the very beginning.

Serious question though: Where does this mindset come from? To me, the dude was gracious enough to buy the stove and the gas, so technically we are obligated to make him a plate and a most gracious thank you. But where does the Big Brother mindset come from?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How do you know if the blind guy is truly blind?

How do you know if the guy with no leg(s), has no leg(s)?

:cheeky:
It's pretty clear. I know about the guy with the folded leg. If I've been suckered by a fraud :)cheeky:), it'd be a tiny fraction of my charity.

Can't be absolutely 100% positive. You have to rely on your spider senses.

I won't stop being charitable because of one fraud...

Reactions: MikeFisher

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Being charitable is good, but it seems to be hurting people who receive the donations. They expect more and stop doing anything.:( There are thrift stores in my country where they sell used western goods and clothes for very cheap. I think it makes more sense - to make them pay at least a penny, or do some kind of work they can actually perform for whatever they receive, so that people don't get spoiled and start expecting more "free" stuff. I always make my son work if he wants me to buy something for him. I don't think anything in this life should be "free."

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Cobraboy was right, tie that loan to collateral legally itemized and adjoined to a cedula. The Bank of Gringo cant be a profitable exercise otherwise. They ask you because the locals only render at high interest rates? Of course, because the risk for nonpayment and default is high. For you, BoG, the risk of nonpayment and default is absolute. I personally would prefer a default so I could collect the collateral and sell it at my own will.

And Extreme, why would I want to assume all the risk? I can keep the money where it is and assume NO risk. How does it benefit the BoG to partake any "investment" or assume any "risk"?

Of course that's the idea, you don't want to so you make him give you a guarantee and pay you interest rate, he will be discouraged.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am still a long away from retirement and was really looking in to starting to build something over there where i can go while i have time now and then when i retire but now i just don't get it what do you people get from being over There. there was a good post taking a survey of people who have been there for some time about would you go back of stay and everyone wanted to stay i don't get it. What made this place appealing to me is fading fast real fast.

maybe you had from the beginning wrong expectations,
or maybe you are not ready/willing to make some drastic changes in life.
both will end in a firstly and short whiled wow-effect and then end in frustatration.
I am raised and educated in Germany, travelled due work a lot most Time, spent over 6 years in the USA before I hit the Isle, I am here since over 15 years now and would not go back, even that I have nothing bad to say about my Time in the US nor about my birthcountry, but after all the ''learning phases'' I guess the suiting place and surroundings are found.
Don't ask Others why they Stay,
You have to ask Yourself Why Your first appealing feelings are fading away, check what would bother You to Stay here.
and if those bothering reasons can't be fixed you should not stay,
this Globe has so many and so different Destins where a Gringito with some cash can fix His/Her retirement place, check 'em out.
good luck
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Insanely one,

You find as many needy people who are just as unlikely to pay you back inside gated communities.

that's a Fact I can be the "Eyewhitness to, lololol.
and some of those Suck$rs even dare to ask for more than the few K's Pesos they theoretically would be able to pay back one Day.
and the worst of all of them are the ones who speak your Own Mother's Language.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
then they don't respect you. I never hang at carwashes, colmados or even talk to those people. Now I keep a big distance from the people who are beggars. When you have no contact with them, they don't ask for money.
here is how it works.
In our clinic, the cleaning lady and the secretaries and massage therapists all chip in and buy food to cook in the back kitchen. They were using an electric stove. The electric stove actually burnt down the electric wires in the clinic so they were all prohibited to use the electric stove. I felt sorry for them and bought them a gas tank for a cheap stove they had. I even filled it up with gas and hooked it all up with tubes and valve/regulator etc. Then I went out and bought them a fridge full of groceries so they can eat good food.
So now that I had done this all for them, guess what? they have taken me for a fool. They brought me a plate to eat and now they have all taken a unanimous decision put the food expenses on me. Now they expect me to buy them food on weekly basis and prepared a list of groceries for me. I simply laughed and told them to carry on like they used to and not worry about me or my food. They still come to ask me for this and that everyday but now they are realizing, I am not interested.
AZB

so you are n the same situation like the OP is.
just that the OP gave a small Loan AND got it paid back.
You did of course the right thing to buy the Gas tank etc etc,
but you may not get more dishes for Lunch brought by the Gys/gals,
while the OP got the Loan paid back.
who got Fooled more?

Mike

hey,
I understand AZB's action on the case at his workplace, I would have done the same, and got fooled the same compared to the OP who got Paid Back.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
LOL!
I don't hang out in colmados, nor car wash. (I am a woman traveling with children). I simply made the same mistake as you did I was just too "nice".

Heya,
why not??
I hang at a Colmado or Carwash once in a while, at least every other week to get the lil Baby Washed.
I have no prob to bring some of my Boys or Gals, and when on our way back home from Higuey I stop without any problem at the Carwash for a couple drinks also with My Wife.
and looking on the 2010 Models of Cars and Jeepetas parked there I would not say such is reserved just for the "Lowlife" Classes.
cheers
Mike