READ THIS if married or marrying a Dominicano national

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Married and divorced a dominicano,,..... when we separated he left with his things only, signed the divorce papers without a quesstion and moved on. Still keep close contact with his family and him and i are friendly........ not all dominicanos are thieves

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Is there anything like a pre-nup in the DR?
Yes. The last line on the Acta (right before the witnesses) says: REGIMEN MATRIMONIAL: Matrimonio celebrado bajo el acuero de bienes separados or: MATRIMONIAL REGIME: Marriage held under the separate property agreement

Does a divorce divvy stuff up based on what they had coming in, or is it a 50/50 deal regardless?

If it doesn't have the aforementioned line the latter method (50/50) is used. If it does have the aforementioned line only property that is held in both names is divided (regardless of when it is acquired).

edwinpena

Dec 23, 2011
I think you should be very carefull about what person you marriage, cause i am dominicano and i fear about these kids of people that you mention, everywhere in the world are full of oportunitiest people and you should know that laws are week in this country, so try to meet a profesional and true person.

Seems that several threads follow this stream so I chose the Legal thread to site this - it seems most appropriate.

Well we?ve all read the other submissions that warn about marriage here in the DR or, really, marriage to a Dominicano national (no matter where that person lives). But now I?ve been a victim so can speak from real experience.

So, to sum it all up, if you are thinking of marrying a Dominicano national of either sex, then RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN. If you are already married to a Dominicano national of either sex, then find the best lawyer that you can NOW and no matter what you did to protect yourself, check it all. On NO account tell you Dominicano partner what you own or where it is. Keep no private documents anywhere where your partner can find them. Buy NOTHING in your own name (or his/hers).

In one line, the summary is, on NO account trust your partner, no matter how alien this is to your or our culture.

For legal reasons (this absurd country protects the guilty and penalises the innocent, no matter what the legal people say), I cannot talk about me or my ex as she could send me a "demand" (for money). So, if you see what I mean, I have a "friend" who was married for 10 years. His Dominicana wife represented that she loved him. But after 10 years, she slowly began stealing all the valuable objects in the house. When most had been hidden away, she filed for divorce and instantly stole the remaining items of value, other than furniture. Followingg the judge?s labelling of the furniture, she lay quiet until Partition started. Partition requires that the labels are removed from the furniture (and different labels are used instead). At this point she stole 1.5 million pesos of furniture, with the full knowledge of the Police, Fiscals, her and his lawyers, all her friends and most of the local public. Nobody did anything to help the ex-husband retrieve these to enter them into partition. Part way through the divorce, she attacked her ex-spouse, gouging his face three times on each side. POLITUR took the ex-wife to the Police and reported the incident to the Fiscalia where the Fiscals (2) refused to take any action, despite there having been 30 or more independent witnesses for her assault. At the same time, the ex-wife?s brother attempted to kill my "friend" with along metal pole but was prevented by a bystander. Also at the same time, a sister of the ex-wife shouted at her brother (referring to the ex-husband). "kill him, kill him". The Fiscalia did nothing. The entire family of th eex-wife generally participate in slandering the x-husband but the Fiscals take no action as there is no video recording as proof (as if anyone lives tied to a video recorder). Countless witnesses are ignored.

I could go on but I suspect anyone intelligent gets the point. Where my friend lives (Constanza), his view is that there is no law for foreigners and locals are free to abuse them. Exaclty why Fiscals appear to take this position is, again, difficult to state publicly but it isn?t difficult to work out what is going on.

The current President of the Dominican Republic is actively working to encourage both tourism and foreign investment, especially in Constanza. My fried thinks he?s either deaf and blind or very foolish (and my friend is an ardent supporter of the President and the PLD). Investment in the Dominican Republic is a waste of time as locals do not see or understand about any benefits of advancement or modernisation, all the locals see is an opportunity to steal (by whatever word applies - enganar, robar, etcetera).

I say again, do NOT marry a Dominicano and if you already have, seek a lawyer TODAY!!! (And dare I say it, do NOT trust your lawyer - triple check EVERYTHING with at least one other lawyer and independent intelligent friends).

Regards

Paul